Chance of getting on farewell voyages

QE2 fan

On Tuesday I pre-registered for qe2's farewll voyage around the UK, but I'm told the number of pre-registrations is to say the least is huge. Does anyone know if the ship was 'sold out' even by Monday? Today I received an email from the cruisekings.co.uk which said that yesterday Cunard were increasing the fares almost by the minute, and that some people had agreed prices of £1000 more for the same grade of cabin in the afternoon than those who had pre-registered in the morning.

I'm not sure about the increases or the chances of getting a place. I too pre-registered for the same voyage. I was given about an hour later a quote from another agent that was nearly £1000 less so no idea what is going on there!

My travel agent told me that as I was being flexible with cabins I stood a good chance of being OK. He commented that those that had stated the exact one or two cabins they were prepared to accept may have a greater difficulty. Not sure how accurate that is but it was what I was told.

Good luck!

P

x

Poodlecrazy,

Which day did you pre-register?

Also has anybody pre-registered with more than one travel agent? And do you think that every agent has an equal chance of getting you a cabin? Wasn't it the case with other 'normal' cruises that certain agents bought up a certain number of cabins?

Hi

I registered yesterday morning (Wednesday). I have only pre-registered with one agent as they have always been efficient and they are also a popular agent so I guess they will have a reasonable allocation if that is the way it works. I was just confused as the quote I got from a different agent (I made a few requests as soon as the situation was announced) was nearly £1000 cheaper, I'm hoping that my original agent will price match but I need to speak to my regular contact who is off today so I guess I will have to wait and see.

pkpon - I think it's the case that the 22 August trip hasn't actually changed from the pre announcement so perhaps that is why it is available on line. The special farewell voyages are not available on line at the moment.

Do we actually think that there will be more pre-registered people than there are cabins? I think that it will simply squeeze the people who try and book after the 27th, or people who want specific cabins.

P

x

The October 22nd five day cruise is billed as one of the farewell voyages on the flier that I printed off the internet along with the 15 day October 27th cruise which was also on the original schedule. I am hoping that on October 22nd they will let QM2 sail first so she can say goodbye to her older sister.

I have just spoken to my regular agent.

The story appears to be this.

Pre-registrations can be taken. These are not taken "at a price" but once the booking is made the price will be announced. The prices already seem to have gone up.

Cunard seem to want to milk this for all it is worth. Fair enough, if you're a businessman. I'm not sure I want to start playing chicken like this, especially as my wife isn't a good sailor and transatlantics aren't her first love.

We have two trips booked in 2007, and three in 2008. There are two transatlantics in those - the WCC sailing and the transatlantic as part of the Autumn Colours trip. The latter looks increasingly likely to be our farewell to Queen Elizabeth 2.

I'm not sure I really believe I have typed that last sentence. It seems too appalling a prospect to comprehend.

Matthew

Could somebody please explain what this pre-registration is about?

I called Cunard and they told be firmly that no kind of booking or registration would be possible before the 27th. They did not even have prices for the German market for all of the final voyages.

Are it just travelagents who accept requests and will try to book on Wednesday? How should Cunard know than how many people do so and be able to increases price due to demand?

And what about people willing to pay £1000 more? Does Cunard now auction cabins to the highest bidding person? Or is it more travel agents trying to make money be misleading and inequally treading customers?

Could somebody please explain what this pre-registration is about?

I called Cunard and they told be firmly that no kind of booking or registration would be possible before the 27th. They did not even have prices for the German market for all of the final voyages.

Are it just travelagents who accept requests and will try to book on Wednesday? How should Cunard know than how many people do so and be able to increases price due to demand?

And what about people willing to pay £1000 more? Does Cunard now auction cabins to the highest bidding person? Or is it more travel agents trying to make money be misleading and inequally treading customers?

Carl,

I don't know. I'm not entering games like that. I'd been seriously wondering about what to do this morning anyhow, and this will push my decision at the rate things are going.

It just seems slightly tawdry.

Matthew

What a lot of hooey.

Nothing has been sent from Revenue to IT for loading.

As a matter of fact, QE2's 08 season is quite wide open with the exception of the previously booked (prior to the sale announcement) of the Oct 27th sailing.

Unfortunately, there are some agencies who do what is called "upcharging".

There are no rates loaded, period..... for any of the new "finals".

There is no prebooking. All these people are doing is telling their travel agents to book it when the cabins become available on the 27th. The travel agents will have to ring up like the rest of us.

CUNARD ARE TAKING NO BOOKINGS YET. It will be first come, first served on the 27th.

The was to stop the "upcharging"? Ring cunard yourself, you will not be paying a huge travel agent mark up then.

James

It just seems slightly tawdry.

I suspect that it is nothing to do with Cunard. The whole thing is down to the travel agents involved who want to get as many bookings as possible in as shorter time as possible (and for as little work as possible:rolleyes: ). I can't blame agents for not wanting to spend a lot of time on bookings that don't confirm, but I wonder how much we can rely on those agents.

I'd been seriously wondering about what to do this morning anyhow, and this will push my decision at the rate things are going.

We want to do the B2B transatlantic and to that end I contacted our agent in the UK. She told me what the single fares were and said that we would need to pay for the flights even if we didn't use them!

I contacted an agent in the States who was able to give me a rough idea of the cost of a B2B crossing and I've told her to put us on her wait list. However I've just come off the phone to our UK agents (plans change so rapidly) who can now give a B2B price - they have taken an advance registration for us (amongst other things I've had to provide credit card details) and have said that they will have Cunard on the phone just before 2-00pm and that ours will be the first booking they try to make (I'm not sure if I should believe that or not).

I've just emailed the US agent and asked her for a definite price. I do trust the US agent (she posts on these boards) and would prefer to book through her, however if there is a difference of £1000 I would be very tempted to go with the UK agent. (There are four of us going so it could add up to quite a large amount).

I'd been seriously wondering about what to do this morning anyhow, and this will push my decision at the rate things are going.

Matthew - let it go - if you get a rate you are happy with, go - but don't go on a cruise muttering internally about how you've been gouged.

Personally I suspect I have already taken my last voyage on the QE2 - when we had a great time - and not on one of these 'why have we paid a fortune - this will soon all be over' mope-fests.....where people are paying over the odds for bragging rights....:rolleyes: Cunard have every right to separate these people from as much of their money as they can - just I won't be among them....preferring to remember happier days.....

Peter

The was to stop the "upcharging"? Ring cunard yourself, you will not be paying a huge travel agent mark up then.

Some travel agents give a discount on what Cunard will charge you for the same trip.

Cunard have every right to separate these people from as much of their money as they can - just I won't be among them

Peter - I'm with you. Cunard should be charging what they can. The big difference is that I hope to be on one of the last sailings (and I suppose I'm willing to pay through the nose for it:( )

Cunard should be charging what they can.

I think what we're seeing here are people at different stages in grieving - most have made it through shock - some are still in anger (Carnival are disgraceful) but the majority I think are bargaining (if I can get just one last voyage...). These are the people Cunard will make money out of.

I hope people make it quickly through depression ('I'll never cruise again - seen very little of this - mostly its been 'I'll sail with someone else '- although that could also be anger) and get to acceptance - it was great while it lasted, but all good things come to an end.

I have very happy memories of my last QE2 voyage - and have no wish to spoil them with memories of a less successful one.

Peter

I have very happy memories of my last QE2 voyage - and have no wish to spoil them with memories of a less successful one.

Peter

There is a lot of that in my thinking. I've got the Autumn Colours booked - and on the Signal Deck - so we will have one last, long, lovely voyage.

I can't afford to do the back to back in Q2 as well.

I'm wondering what the point of extending myself for a voyage in less than statisfactory circumstances. I know we'll have a great time on the Autumn Colours trip.

Matthew

I know we'll have a great time on the Autumn Colours trip.

Then savour it as your last and enjoy!

Let them take too much money off someone else and introduce your wife to the QM2 - I know I would have been a lot less sanguine about the QE2 going after my 2005 QM2 voyage than I am now after our superb crossing earlier this month. The torch has passed on, and the QE2 must pass on too.....

Peter

Then savour it as your last and enjoy!

Let them take too much money off someone else and introduce your wife to the QM2 - I know I would have been a lot less sanguine about the QE2 going after my 2005 QM2 voyage than I am now after our superb crossing earlier this month. The torch has passed on, and the QE2 must pass on too.....

Peter

Peter,

I'm trying to think like that. I know I would have been completely devastated had it not been for that crossing, and in particular the company I shared on it. But I have to think of Kirsten, much as she has made it clear that we should do what I want for 2008.

I still think you should join us in January though.....;)

matthew

Peter - I'm with you. Cunard should be charging what they can. The big difference is that I hope to be on one of the last sailings (and I suppose I'm willing to pay through the nose for it:( )

Malcolm,

Why not book the October 22nd cruise now. I have just booked and got a good rate plus was able to pick one of my favourite MI cabins. Then you will know you are definitely on one of the QE2's farewell cruises plus if you get the B2B transatlantics you will get to stay on for another five days. Lucky you.

Cheers,

Paul.

I still think you should join us in January though.....;)

I would like to....but not at any price - the most recent I was quoted was three times what I paid this year. The Scottish genes are strong.....;)

Time will tell.......

Peter

I would like to....but not at any price - the most recent I was quoted was three times what I paid this year. The Scottish genes are strong.....;)

Time will tell.......

Peter

Can't you get Miriam to book? I get the feeling she's more likely to announce "it's only money!".......:D

Matthew

Archived