Cartegena, Columbia

Addict

Hi All. There is a link on the front page of Cruise Critic today to the following article.

Section of Panama Canal article on Cruise Critic today.

"Although Cartagena, Columbia has long been a staple in the Panama Canal itinerary, many cruise lines are shying away from that port for the foreseeable future, due to recent U.S. State Department Travel Advisories."

We have booked a Panama Cruise for April 2008 and, as we are not American, do not understand the last sentence? Can anyone advise what problems this could refer to? Cartegena is one of the ports on our itinerary.

Many thanks

Sue

There's a website (travel.state.gov) and here's the Colombia warning:

June 04, 2007

This Travel Warning updates ongoing security concerns in Colombia and reminds American citizens of those concerns. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued January 18, 2006.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the dangers of travel to Colombia. Violence by narcoterrorist groups and other criminals continues to affect all parts of the country, urban and rural.

Violence has continued to decrease markedly in most urban areas, including Bogotá, Medellin, Barranquilla, and Cartagena. The level of violence in Cali, Buenaventura, and the surrounding areas remains high, largely as a result of the illicit drug trade. Many rural areas of Colombia remain extremely dangerous due to the presence of narcoterrorists and Colombian government operations against them.

Terrorist groups such as the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN), and other criminal organizations, continue to kidnap civilians for ransom or as political bargaining chips. No one can be considered immune from kidnapping on the basis of occupation, nationality, or other factors. The FARC have held three American official contractors hostage since February 2003. Although the U.S. government places the highest priority on the safe recovery of kidnapped Americans, it is U.S. policy not to make concessions to or strike deals with kidnappers. Consequently, the U.S. government’s ability to assist kidnapping victims is limited.

U.S. government officials and their families in Colombia are permitted to travel to major cities in the country, but only by air. They are not allowed to use inter- or intra-city bus transportation. They also are not permitted to travel by road outside of urban areas at night. All Americans in Colombia are urged to follow these precautions.

We're currently scheduled for that port on our Infinity Panama October cruise that departs from SF. After looking at the potential shore excursions for that port, it's fine with me if they cancel it and substitute another. :).

As a American citizen I have visited Cartagena many times. I have never had any problems and feel very safe walking the city streets by myself. Cartagena is very rich in culture and history and is a wonderful city to visit. Cartagena is like any other city you visit,you should keep alert to your surroundings.

Thanks. I suppose you could compare it to walking the streets in the seedier parts of London.:eek:

As with anywhere else in the world, and if we didn't feel safe, we would be straight back on the ship!

We are scheduled for April 2009. They could reschedule and go to Aruba which I could live with! We did Aruba in 2006 and did not do Cartagena. Our current itinerary also does Montego Bay, which I have some concerns about. If they would switch to Aruba, then it would be two sea days to Fort Lauderdale or if heading west, two sea days to Aruba

I am sure Celebrity is watching this closely! I am also sure the Columbian govt. is concerned about potential of losing tourism.

We are sailing on Constellation, November 2007, with a stop in Cartegena. If there are any other difficulties (or lack of the same), I have no doubt that they will come up on these boards. That's one of the things that is so great about Cruisecritic. As for Celebritychanging the itinerary due to a preceived shore problem --- do they ever do that?:confused:

Cartegena is unlike any of the problem areas and very far away from them. My wife, the mayor of our village, has communicated with officials from Cartegena, including their Mayor, to arrange an upcoming visit. From what I can see and hear it is a beautiful seaside City. You will enjoy your visit and you should have nothing to fear.

This is directed to the Hosts:

Is there any reasonable way to gather comments requesting that the cruise line re-consider this port on upcoming cruises. In this way we could let Celebrity know our thoughts without tons of emails which clog Celebrity's box and may be ignored.

I am very concerned about stopping in Cartegena which is part of many fall cruises by Celebrity.

Any help would be appreciated.

If there are travel warnings in place then you may still not end up going there since X may not be able to insure the ship and therefore you probably will have to pass Aruba for the far distant port to comply with the US passenger services act. It was on our 2002 Infitiy Itin too but got changed to Aruba at the last minute for exactly that reason. However in 2002 there was really trouble in Cartagena with fire fights in the streets etc.

Sue have a look on the UK Goverenments foreign affairs Website you will find travel warnings there. All govs issue them because technically they are responsible for the well being of their Citizens. If you are on holiday and you get caught up in some sort of problem be it civil war, riot, hijacking etc legally each gov. is responsible for getting its Citizen out. BUT if they have issued a travel warning then it is a case of "we told you so" and you are on your own!!

Karen, thanks for the Cartagena website info. I'm specifically looking to book a cruise which stops in Cartagena and would be very disappointed if the itinerary was changed. I was fortunate to live in Colombia for eight years as a kid (dad worked in the petroleum industry). I visited Cartagena many times and loved it. It's a fascinating city and the Colombian people are so friendly.

Elizabeth

Cruise ships have only recently started to call at Cartagena after an absence of a few years; it was such an occasion that the President of Colombia, as well as the President of RCI attended the festivities. Cartagena is one of the jewels of the Caribbean, dating back to the days of the Spanish Main and pirates, like San Juan and Havana. The old city is still surrounded by massive fortifications, and the old city contains some of the finest examples of regal Spanish buildings of the 17th and 18th century. We have visited there on 4 different cruises and would like to return. There are many places in the Caribbean like Jamaica and St Croix which are much more intimidating and dangerous than Cartagena.:)

I gave you the Department of State information - and I do check that every time I go to another country. I've been to Colombia a couple of times, and while it was once incredibly dangerous, my employees from there rave about how wonderful Cartegna is. I would go there on a cruise ship in a heartbeat. If there is a hint of danger, the cruise ship will not stop there - but Colombia is a gorgeous country, the people are really nice (and not that anyone asked - but some of the best looking men I've ever seen...and yes, the women are gorgeous, too), and I hear that Cartegna is especially wonderful. The leadership of Colombia has done an amazing job making the country safer. I would probably not want to drive from Bogota to Cartegna, but I would definitely stop there on a ship. If you're not comfortable, just don't get off - but I'll guarantee, it will be much nicer than a stop in Aruba (yes, I have been there...)....:D

Well, thanks again for all the advice. Will definitely check out the government websites a little nearer the time.

And Cartegena better than Aruba? - well that's comforting, we loved Aruba!

Sue

Dear Addict

We were on a P & O cruise in 2003 and Cartegena was a port of call.

We were looking forward to seeing the city, when it was announced that it was thought too dangerous for our tender little souls, and cancelled. Incidentally, nothing was substituted, we just had an extra sea day.

You could have a look at our Foreign Office web site: it will give current information on any perceived dangers in any given country or city.

Hope this helps.

Cann... from what I saw Addict is doing a transpanama therefore the cruiselines have to comply with the Passenger services act and stop at a so called far distant port - in the Caribbean those are predominatly Aruba and if safe to do so Cartagena. That is the only reason ships stop there!

Archived