Do baby monitors work on ships?

erdooley

Hi, we're sailing Alaska on Princess next month. My parents are going w/ DH and me and our 3 1/2 year old. I've read where walkie talkies don't work well on the ship, so I was just wondering about baby monitors? We're booking 2 connecting mini-suites, so I thought sometimes DH and I could go out after dd's in bed, and my folks could be next door in their suite if we had a monitor. But I won't waste space packing it if it won't work! Thanks for any advice.

No. They don't. I think for a very good reason. I don't think it is ever wise to leave a baby unattended- in a hotel room or in a cabin. What if there was a fire? There was on the Star Princess. The monitor wouldn't help with that.

Remember what happened to that child who was left alone in the hotel room? She still hasn't been found. It's not at all a good idea to leave a child alone in a cabin, even with a baby monitor. What if your parents fell asleep, not being able to hear the monitor, and your child woke up and left the cabin? Do you realize how many people have access to your cabin? It's never, ever a smart move to leave a child alone on a ship. As RebeccaLouise pointed out, many things can happen on a ship, and in addition to the fire she spoke of, what would happen if there was something like a rogue wave, and the ship lists heavily to one side?

I've never had any problems getting my walkie talkies to work on the ships. Not that you could get that to work as a Baby Monitor. But I'm a bit confused with the problems of someone being next door monitoring the baby on a baby monitor.

I don't think that the grandparents would fall asleep if they couldn't hear the monitor. I determine hearing as listening to my son breathing. I would think it would work as close as next door. I'm bringing a video monitor to use while I stand or sit in the hallway because my son is not likely to fall asleep if he sees me. Then after he falls asleep I'll go in the room. More ships need to get the idea of Disney and have a curtain in the room.

• 1 month later...

That's exactly what my daughter did. Had the baby monitor in the room, put the baby to sleep (also wouldn't go to sleep with them in the room), sat in the hallway with dad and once the baby was asleep, they went back into the room. They had a nice chat with each other and people walking down the hall. No big deal.

The next cruise, we got adjoining mini suites, baby in one room us in the other. Someone can come in a take the baby? Clearly you aren't listening to the monitor then are you? I would HEAR someone enter the room!

Remember what happened to that child who was left alone in the hotel room? She still hasn't been found. It's not at all a good idea to leave a child alone in a cabin, even with a baby monitor. What if your parents fell asleep, not being able to hear the monitor, and your child woke up and left the cabin? Do you realize how many people have access to your cabin? It's never, ever a smart move to leave a child alone on a ship. As RebeccaLouise pointed out, many things can happen on a ship, and in addition to the fire she spoke of, what would happen if there was something like a rogue wave, and the ship lists heavily to one side?

That's what I was thinking EXACTLY. Unless you have connecting cabins WITH the door open...I wouldn't leave that child in the cabin alone under any circumstances. That poor little girl in Portugal has STILL never been found. Someone just walked in and took her. The staff DO come and go in the cabins to turn down the beds and things like that...so they obviously have access to your cabin. I just couldn't trust it.

I did refer back to little Madeline too BUT this is not the situation here. Here we have parents whom are asking if a monitor works in order so that their child is not unattended....

I have used walkie talkies on a ship and had no problems.

My husband, whom is an electrical engineer by degree, says that you will have no problem using a baby monitor on the ship with that short of a distance. He knows his stuff. So bring it if you want, it will work.

The other option I see is to bring a small doorstop (or perhaps use a tennis shoe) and "prop" the adjoining door to the cabins open a wee bit so that your parents can hear the baby if the baby wakes and needs them. That is, as long as grandpa's snoring wont wake the baby, tee-hee :p

Just remember to put the "do not disturb" sign on your door so there is no reason for anyone to enter the cabin.

Now go out and have a GREAT time!!!

If you have the baby monitor on and are listening to it, it is just as if you were in a two room suite with the monitor on. Just make sure you can hear the baby breathing on the monitor and then use it like you would at home. And definitely put the do not disturb sign on the door.

Hi, we're sailing Alaska on Princess next month. My parents are going w/ DH and me and our 3 1/2 year old. I've read where walkie talkies don't work well on the ship, so I was just wondering about baby monitors? We're booking 2 connecting mini-suites, so I thought sometimes DH and I could go out after dd's in bed, and my folks could be next door in their suite if we had a monitor. But I won't waste space packing it if it won't work! Thanks for any advice.

We book connecting staterooms and bring the monitor. Works just like at home -- no problem.

I'm the queen of baby monitors. Some work in my house, some don't. Others work in my mom's house, others don't. Some interfere with other brands, some are fine. There is no straight answer to your question about whether they will work. "Maybe" is the best answer. They don't take up too much room, pack it and see. You never know if your neighbor will bring one and interfere with your signal. Have a great cruise!

We're bringing our monitor in September. We booked an inside cabin adjacent to my in-laws' cabin. For DS's naps I will be putting him in the P&P in our room, turning on the monitor, hanging the "do not disturb" sign on the door, and going next door with a book. Just in case the monitors don't work we're also bringing our walkie-talkies. And if neither of them work I guess I'll be napping right along with DS in the dark room. :rolleyes:

We're bringing our monitor in September. We booked an inside cabin adjacent to my in-laws' cabin. For DS's naps I will be putting him in the P&P in our room, turning on the monitor, hanging the "do not disturb" sign on the door, and going next door with a book. Just in case the monitors don't work we're also bringing our walkie-talkies. And if neither of them work I guess I'll be napping right along with DS in the dark room. :rolleyes:
the problem with the walkie talkies is that (at least with mine) you can't leave the talk button pushed for any length of time with out it automatically shutting off the talk feature. In other works it will act as a room monitor for about 5 minutes or so. Yours may work differently but you may want to test it before you rely on it as a backup.

the problem with the walkie talkies is that (at least with mine) you can't leave the talk button pushed for any length of time with out it automatically shutting off the talk feature. In other works it will act as a room monitor for about 5 minutes or so. Yours may work differently but you may want to test it before you rely on it as a backup.

Thanks so much for the tip! We'll be bringing it anyways so we can be in touch with the ILs while we're doing separate activities (last cruise we kept getting separated while shopping in port...), but I'll be sure to try it out ahead of time for use as a monitor. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I have used walkie talkies on a ship and had no problems.

My husband, whom is an electrical engineer by degree... He knows his stuff.

Hi Sas80,

We are cruising with our three boys (8, 12, 14). They have all cruised before, but we are strongly considering equipping the family with 2-way radios.

I have heard mixed comments on whether they work or not. I am a mechanical engineer and I would like to hear what an EE has to say about this. Your husband & I talk different engineering languages but there is a common respect amongst us geeks!! :rolleyes: I would love to get his opinion on the use of walkie talkies. Why it would or would not work, suggested frequencies, etc. before I spend any money on a set of radios.

Thank You :D

Archived