Paranoid moms (and dads) check in here....

So it's not a cruise, but in 2 days I leave for a week-long family reunion in Vegas. I have 2 sons, 3 & 11. Every time it gets close to a trip, I find myself PARANOID that someone is going to get sick.

Today my older son said he was hungry and that his stomach hurt, I asked him if he's getting sick. The younger one sneezes (once), I take his temperature. I just want to know if I am the only crazy person out there fretting about potential sickness.

This week, I've felt everyone's heads about a thousand times to see if anyone is hot.

The other day, my DH's good friend (and our neighbor) had a cough, so I forbid my husband from going into his garage to work with him on a car (germs and all that, could spread something to the kids).

I have even been known to keep my kids home a few days before a big trip just to make sure nothing bad happens.

Please say there are others out there like me, please come check in and make me feel better!!:eek:

Hmmm. I have gotten paranoid about the kid getting sick on vacation, but not quite to that extreme. (I've never considered holding him out of school or other activities as a precaution against getting sick.)

Hmmm. I have gotten paranoid about the kid getting sick on vacation, but not quite to that extreme. (I've never considered holding him out of school as a precaution against getting sick.)

Not out of school. In 2003 we were going on the Navigator in July so I kept him home from camp for a few days before we left, because I had heard a few kids at camp had gotten Strep.

Not from school though.

Elvis and Tracey:

I know how awful it is if a kid gets sick right before vacation. My 2-year-old was throwing up:eek: three days before our last land vacation. He got over it in 24 hours, but I held my breath for the next few days hoping no one else got it (no one did, thank heavens).

If it's a family reunion, I'm afraid you're traveling TO the germs. Family gatherings seem to be a prime place to trade favorite bugs from different parts of the country. My father comes here to visit his seven grandchildren with the attitude of "let's see what I catch while visiting". He got a bad cold here at Christmas.

I worry more if we are going to someplace remote like the islands (I brought almost the whole medicine cabinet when we went to Jamaica:o ). For land-based, as long as there's a Wal-mart and an urgent care within range, I force myself to relax.

Our other problem is sorting out sniffly allegies from colds and such. It always takes a day or two to see if it's the pollen or a virus bothering us!

Good luck; a vacation is still a vacation (and sometimes you have the most interesting memories later when everything doesn't go as planned!)

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

The problem with traveling away from where you live is you are more likely to get sick as you've probably encountered most the germs that reside where you live and developed a resistance. New places mean new germs. One time we went to Florida and my entire family came down with traveler's diarrhea (bet you thought you could only get it outside the US!). Another time we went to Florida and my son 2 days later came down with a pretty severe case of the flu, he spent the next 3 days passed out in bed. (wouldn't you know it that was the year I was lax about getting the kids their flu shots) Another time I flew to California, came down with a nasty case of strep throat I think I picked up either at the airport or on the flight over.

To answer your original question, do I think you're being a bit overcautious? Yes I do, but pay no mind to me, do what makes you feel better.:)

Lucky for me Vegas is close to home and they pretty much have all the same cr** that we do in LA (afterall, most people in Vegas Are FROM LA).

I don't actully worry about my kids getting sick ON the trip, it's right BEFORE the trip.:eek:

I sympathize. When my girls were young I used to start pushing the orange juice a month before vacations to bolster their resistance. The older one, especially, had a habit of coming down with every bug known to mankind. lol

What does that do?

Not much, but many people believe is boosts their immune system. It's a mega vitamin C, some herbs, antioxidants. I'll bet my daily vitamin and the fresh fruits and vegetables I eat every day are more effective, especially blueberries.

Developed by a school teacher, why people think a school teacher has an inside scoop as to developing a cure all rather than medical people and scientists who have been testing for years, I don't know. I suppose it makes for good advertising.

Supposedly, zinc has shown some actual benefit for easing and shortening a common cold. Those are sold under different brands and product names, such as Zicam. I've read that coating the nostrils prior to flight can help you from picking up airborne virus particles. Simple petroluem jelly can work, Zicam would be a good choice.

Oh heck ya...count me in! Did you read my post about my youngest catching a virus oboard DCL Magic, stop breathing, turned blue and was seizing?

I am like a total germaphobe NOW. Before the RCCL cruise in May...the youngest was pulled out of preschool for 2 weeks (it's like a daycare program that she goes to 2 days a week...so she actually missed 4 days)

I wasn't risking her getting sick.

I JUST took the kids to a beach resort for a week...we met some friends there. The friends called me on the LAST morning of the vacation (after the kids have all been together all week) to tell me that 2 of her 3 kids had 104 temps and Coxsackie virus...one was admited to the hospital for dehydration. So here I sit...counting the days for the incubation period to be over. :rolleyes:

My kids are loaded up on OJ and disney princess vitamins right now. ;)

My wife still frets about leaving our two 35+ year old daughters who live in our area when we go on a trip. Of course with the grand kids now, it has become a little more interesting as to who to worry about more but once we leave, things resume a normal state of general interest, typical of home life.

I remember when I was a kid with my 3 Brothers and one sister getting piled in the Station Wagon (for those who do not remember those things, they could be called preSUV's) for a week long road trip. Mom and Dad were so glad to be on vacation, as long as we were breathing and did not pass out, the trip went on.

Times change......

Cheers

I'm embarrassed to admit that before our honeymoon cruise, I never thought about getting sick on the ship. I planned everything perfectly, and we were totally prepared for everything except being sick. DH got a head cold, and I had a stomach virus. It was not fun.

This time I am going to be very cautious, especially since we are bringing my 9-year-old DD.

Great thread!

Archived