15,000 Cruisers In Cayman On The Same Day!!!

#1PATSFAN

I would be careful of Stingray City. When we were there in 2005, there were three ships in port that day and when we got to SC, it was packed with people and boats. The sand was getting kicked up a lot and the stingrays were starting to avoid the area. We were early and as the population of tourists in the water grew, the stingrays had their fill of eating and started getting scarcer. So, more people, fewer stingrays. If you are going, make sure you have a very early excursion.

Of all the ports we've been to, I would wholeheartedly say DO NOT STAY ON THE SHIP IN GRAND CAYMAN. It is SO worth whatever effort you may encounter. We've been to Grand Cayman many times. We don't rush to get off the ship when there are that many ships in port...we just grab a cab to Seven Mile Beach. There are several really nice free beaches with amenities that are hassle free (Royal Palms is close and we like it...Sea Grape is further, but it's nice too). We generally head back for the ship around 1:30ish and have never had a problem. Traffic can be bad at times, but we're so used to that at home, it's nothing. We have always had time to shop and walk around before getting back on a tender.

When we were there recently, there were five ships including RCCL FOS, PCL Caribbean Princess, the Rhapsody and another I can't recall in addition to the Conquest. We didn't book an excursion, so I can't vouch for that, but IMO there is nothing in the world better than chilling and floating in the beautiful waters along Seven Mile Beach. It just never gets old.

I was recently on Liberty of the Seas. We were concerned about meeting our privately booked tour on time. So, we waited on the stairs until the first tender was allowed to go. We were on the first tender out without any problems.

The busy season in Cayman (and much of the Caribbean) is from mid-November to mid-April.

Due to its location, Cayman is typically a mid-week stop for the abundance of 7 day cruises departing from south Florida on weekends. That makes Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday the peak days of the week year round.

Some ships make Cayman stops every other week, and ships with other schedules (eg 10 day schedules) occasionally visit on a peak day.

Combine those factors and you can get 9, 10, or even 11 ships on a peak day in winter - though 7 is pretty typical for those days.

There were 8 ships there when we were there in December 2005.

Rhapsody of The Seas

Westerdam

Jewel of the Seas

Radiance of the Seas

Star Princess

Norwegian Dawn

Carnival Conquest

Holiday Dream

There were only 3 in September 2006.

Rhapsody of The Seas

Carnival Conquest

Holiday Dream

It looks like there will only be 2 on our cruise this October.

Mariner of The Seas

Carnival Conquest

Eight ships was a lot. The streets were crowded, but there were plenty of stingrays to go around. :eek::D

Sweet--there will only be 2 ships in port when we are there August 2nd!! I think the last time we were in GC there had to be at least 5-6 ships in port. Yes, the stores were crowded as well as stingray city. Yep, Suzy there were plenty of stingrays to go around. Now when we go this time, there will be even more stingrays!!:D

Thanks for all your responses, I personally would stay on the ship because I've already been to the Island with a bunch of Girl Friends 4 yrs. ago. But my DH has never been & would love to do the waverunners and see the stingrays, I'll try to be off the ship asap in the A.M. and maybe if we try to come back earlier. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks again

I'd book something early and make the best of it. :)

We now stay on the island in a condo, and there are days that there are nine or ten ships in port...you can't even imagine the chaos when that happens. I love GC, but they really need to do something about allowing this many ships in port. It's just a zoo when this happens. We stay on the 7MB area, and we end up planning our days around the number of ships in port. But we love it there...so we just deal with it. We're thinking of staying on the East End next time.

Sweet--there will only be 2 ships in port when we are there August 2nd!! I think the last time we were in GC there had to be at least 5-6 ships in port. Yes, the stores were crowded as well as stingray city. Yep, Suzy there were plenty of stingrays to go around. Now when we go this time, there will be even more stingrays!!:D

With two ships, you'll feel like there is no one there but you...enjoy! :)

Twinkletoes, come stay on the east end-we vacation there every year and find it peaceful and beautiful. - Only go into Georgetown when we know that there will not be "boat-loads" of people there

We loved the East End. Where do you stay? We always stay at the Regal Beach Club because of it's location. We've had our kids with us in the past, and they love the location. They'd walked across the street to the Aqua Beach Restaurant (I guess the place really hops at night), but we never did join them.

The chances are pretty slim that they'll go with us in the future (unless we buy a condo...and even then, I doubt we'd be there at the same time)...now that they're out of college and have jobs, so we'll be there by ourselves. All we need is a nice view of the water, a tasty drink, and a good book. We'd love to find a place where there's little traffic.

Any suggestions on getting an early tender ticket? Where do they normally have you go to get this? We'll be on the Liberty, any secrets would be greatly appreciated. So much for a relaxing day in the Cayman's, I'm sure once we make it off the ship we'll be fine. I'll just have to have a few frozen drinks for the wait in line on the way back ;)

We'll make the best of it, it's so beautiful there.

Hi #1PatsFan!

Just a quick hello from #1BradyFan!!

Anxiously awaiting the season to start... ;)

I agree on the frozen drink idea!!

• 1 year later...

Archived