Cochlear Implants and cruising

katebaby2

(I have posted this in family cruising as well) I have twins with cochlear implants that need charging each night. I have read something about plug-in alarm clocks not keeping good time because of fluctuations in ship electricity. These deveices are crucial to the boys hearing each day and are very expensive and not easily replaced. Does anyone have any thoughts on what my experience might be on the Sovereign of the Seas? Can I bring a power strip? Thanks in advance!

-Katebaby2

You can DEFINITELY bring a power strip. They are handy to have ANYWAY, but they will also save the expensive recharging equipment from a power surge.

I also agree w/the prior poster about posting this in the disabled cruise board, and the cruise lines special needs department.

Thank you both! I hadn't found that board yet! Thanks again!

-Katebaby2

I just talked to Cochlear in Denver (I work in a hospital that does Cochlear implants - in fact helped develop them). They said if they have the Freedom devices, you can certainly take disposable batteries in case. However, they've not ever had this question come up before. The chargers are built to handle fluctuations in power, but suggest always using a surge protector (not just a power strip) every day, not just on vacation.

Also, you may want to advises the cruise company you will be sailing with in order for them to set up the cabin with visual warning lights as your kids may not be able to hear any alarms. This in case they are (sorry I do not know their ages) in the room and the adults are out watching a show or something.

I'm not much of an electrical engineer but your recharging unit probably takes the 120v a/c from the wall socket and steps it down to something like 9 volts d/c. The problem with clocks that plug into a wall socket is that it's hard for the ship to maintain the perfect 60 Hz cyclical rate. But once the current is run through the charging device any variations in the a/c cyclical rate won't matter to you since the charger's output is d/c. Maybe the unit will charge a little slower than what you're used to or a little faster but it won't have any detrimental effect on the charging unit or on the implants.

Hello,

I suggest that you contact the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles for guidance on this. The House Clinic was one of the developers of the Coclear (sp) device and they have the very latest information. Further, they are a group of very helpful people whom I'm sure will gladly help you.

As someone who has worn a hearing aid for 56 years, I am sure that your twins will grow up to be highly successful people in their professional social, and family lives. And I can't think of anything that would be more fun than going on a cruise with twins. Our next cruise (18th) is coming up in about three weeks.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Thanks everyone for all of the good information! I will certainly be looking into all of the suggestions that you provided. The twins are 3 close to 4 when we sail...and will certainly be fired up on board I am sure! Thanks again!

-Katebaby2

Hello,

This is off the thread but take the twins to at least one formal night on the cruise. I remember the night when our children were ages 11 and 6, when they attended the first formal night on a cruise ship and it was truly a memorable evening seeing them all dressed up.

You and your family will have a memorable evening seeing 4 year old twins dressed up, in the dining room that is made up especially for formal night. And do not worry about the food in the dining room, because the waiters and head waiters will see that they are well fed.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

katebaby2, All the above suggestions are excellent and hope you get the info you need. I have a CI also, but mine is not the rechargeable unit. I just bring my Dry and Store and put my unit in there at night. I would also suggest you call your audi if you don't get the needed info. He would know who to direct you to. (Cochlear America, etc) Also, I carry my case in a ziplock bag and keep it in my beach/pool bag in case I want to go swimming. Have a great cruise!

Archived