cruise critic parties on board

jruth4

This is a question for Jan, Laura S, or our host moderators - Is Oceania doing cruise critic parties on board as other lines like Celebrity do? I was on the inaugural eastern Mediterrean cruise when Oceania was brand new and there was a yahoo group set up. When we had 25 people who signed up for it, Oceania made us a nice cocktail party. I would like to see this happen again on our July 14, 2007 cruise. There are already a few people interested, but we don't know how to make it happen. Please help!

-Judith

This is a question for Jan, Laura S, or our host moderators - Is Oceania doing cruise critic parties on board as other lines like Celebrity do? I was on the inaugural eastern Mediterrean cruise when Oceania was brand new and there was a yahoo group set up. When we had 25 people who signed up for it, Oceania made us a nice cocktail party. I would like to see this happen again on our July 14, 2007 cruise. There are already a few people interested, but we don't know how to make it happen. Please help!

-Judith

Hi Sorry, Oceania stopped giving those great cocktail parties last year or the year before..they were beautiful!!

Jan

As Jan has correctly said, Oceania no longer "hosts" CruiseCritic or Yahoo cocktail parties - but that doesn't mean you can't arrange one for your cruise. Many have - on our Istanbul to Singapore last fall, we had over 40 CC members and had a great time.

The key word is "hosts" - meaning the O will no longer provide drinks at no charge. Instead, arrange for a "no Host" party, where each orders and pays for what they wish....

If you are going to have a large number on your cruise, it would be advisable to talk to the Hotel Manager beforehand and he will arrange to have extra wait staff available.

Start a Roll Call under the ship's name and the date of your cruise, and create a list of those who sign up. Prior to your departure, choose a date and time and advise everyone to meet in Horizons at that time. You'll have a wonderful time!! :)

I know I started this business of a cruise critic party, and as you can see Oceania does not host this. I'm not happy about this, but the only thing we can do is to arrange this ourselves. Unfortunately I cannot take on this job because of other commitments, and leaving in 10 days for the trip before the cruise. So, if someone else wants to take this on, collect the names etc., please take over. You can put our names on the list of people wanting to meet.

-Judith and Ed

Judith & Ed,

I see that you are concerned about setting up a Cruise Critic Cocktail Party.

We've organized CC parties both before and after Oceania stopped "hosting" them, frankly, there isn't much difference. In our experience, the Cruise Critic members, who sail Oceania, aren't much impressed by a free cocktail, anyway.

As organizer, your only duty would be to take your list of potential party guests, and give it to the concierge. Oceania will assign a public room to you, at the time of your choice. They will also print and deliver your invitations.

If giving a cocktail party was this easy, at home, everybody would have a perpetual hangover!

On the day of the party, Jim and I normally show up 20 minutes early. We pre-print name tags at home, and make introductions as we distribute the tags. Of course, that is strictly optional, if your schedule is tight, you could attend as just another party guest.

I hope you take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to get to know your fellow Cruise Critics!

We've organized five such parties, and meeting the CC crowd is always one of the highlights of our cruise!

Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide....

Dear Judith and Ed: It's Marsha and Lou!! We recently returned from Regatta's Rome to Stockholm cruise and are already booked for a Feb. cruise out of Miami.

As has been said, arranging a party is easy. You should check out the Oceania Roll Call section and see if your cruise already has one. Then, if no one else has suggested a get-together, suggest one yourselves giving a day and time. Someone can bring name tags, blank or otherwise and notify the concierge when you board. For our recent party, O provided space in Horizons Lounge and snack foods. Those who wanted to ordered drinks. We met lots of people to share dinners and excursions with and put "faces" to all these Cruise Critic "names". In fact, the Roll Call proved very useful for independent tour and taxi shares.

Have fun on your trip. Bon Voyage and best regards, Marsha

Dear Judith and Ed: It's Marsha and Lou!! We recently returned from Regatta's Rome to Stockholm cruise and are already booked for a Feb. cruise out of Miami.

Have fun on your trip. Bon Voyage and best regards, Marsha

Is this Marsha and Lou we met on the Viking Volga River cruise? If so glad to hear from you. Please email me at jkleinlcsw@gmail.com so we can catch up.

Judith

• 2 weeks later...

On Our Miami /la Cruise In 2005 I Arranged For A Party For All Our

Cc Buddies In The Vista Suire 6002.

This Year In Feb 5-20) Hk /bangkok We Again Had A Get Together In Our Vista Suite 7004. I Started An Address File With All The Email Addresses Under The Group "nautica" Had Name Tags Already For Everyone, And Stocked The Wine, And Booze Before We Left Hk.

Almost No One Had Anything But The Wine--but We Did Have A Group Of About 20. The Butler Arranged For Cheese, Crackers, And Other Snacks-plus Peanuts And Chips Etc. We Did This An The First Sea Day

But Be Sure To Check When The Captain's Cocktail Party Is-so That It Doesn't Conflict With Your Get Together. It's Fun To Meet The Folks That You Have Been Exchanging Notes With--makes The Cruise Much More Fun. Start With Your Roll Call, Then Get Everyone's E-mail Address So That You Can Send All The Info Before Sailing

Bon Voyage

Jan Sarnoff

We are organising a get together 45 minutes prior to our departure from Venice at 5 pm.

Brian

If it is embarkation day you might be competing with Muster drill at that time

Archived