transfer in JFK

Deloresgardella

I have found a good price for my flight on Oct 10, 2007 from SFO to FCO for less that $900 per person with 1 800 Fly Europe. My question is the transfere time is about 55 minutes, is this enough time between planes since I will have to go to the international terminial. I haven't tranfered at JFK before. The last time we transfered at Newark. Thank you for your help.

Delores

JFK has nine terminals. Which airlines are you connecting to/from?

I'd say at 55mins you'd have little to no chance of making of the connection unless it was within the same terminal. Even then with any delay on your SFO-JFK flight you are stuffed.

Absolutely positively is 55 minutes not enough time to trasnfer at JFK.

You don't mention which airline you're flying in on or out on, but there is a very strong chance you'll have to change terminals. And since the AirTrain is outside of security, you'll have to clear security at each terminal you enter (the only terminals connects post security at Terminal 2/3 which is Delta & a couple of other airlines).

Also if you're airlines don't have an interline basis (i.e. JetBlue doesn't interline), you'll need to claim your luggage from your first flight & then re-check it for your connecting flight to FCO.

Most international flights operate out of either Terminal 1 or 4. British Airways is out of Terminal 7 and American is out of Terminal 8/9. Check out the Port Authority's web site for JFK (panynj.gov) for a complete listing of which terminal each airline operates from. There is no single international terminal at JFK.

Depending on your circumstances I'd budget at least 2 hours for the transfer, but maybe 3 to give enough time in case there is some delay.

Using ITA, I can't even find a 55 minute connection that day, which makes me wonder whether it's even legal (or whether it's even truly a connection, as opposed to someone who's just put two unrelated tickets together).

The short legal connections that I could find at JFK were:-

DL414-DL160, 1:16 (1739-1855)

UA982-AZ611, 1:27 (1943-2110)

DL148-DL148, 1:30 (1520-1650) - note: flight number fraud here, as there are actually different aircraft for the two sectors

DL148-AA236, 1:40 (1520-1700)

Thanks for everyones reply. 1800flyeurope.com doesn't doesn't name the airline it just says a major airline. I sure will wait and get more time between connections. Even if I have to pay more don't want to miss the plane.

Delores

While I like 1800flyeurope, their business model includes a lot of trips ticketed with two airlines on two separate tickets. They are consolidators and buy tickets which "connect", but not necessarily on the same airline.

You will NOT make a 55 minute connection at JFK. CALL 1800flyeurope. Explain the situation-you don't feel comfortable with the short connection time. Since the first leg into JFK will be a US domestic flight, I would just bet they can find another flight which will allow more connection time.

I did a flight last month with a transfer at JFK going to Rome. We had to recheck in our luggage at Terminal 1. This wasn't a problem since we had a 4 hour layover. I would say your chances of making the flight are very much at risk. I know I wouldn't risk it. Tim

Archived