Tendering in Tortola

jldumm

Going March 2008 on the Crown Princess. After booking saw that we will be tendering in at this port. Have not seen other ships tendeing in and I am wondering why we have to with the Crown. Also, have an 80 year old senior in our group, who is fairly sprightly and we are wondering how hard it will be for her to tender onto the island.

He - I've spent a bit of time on Tortola - sailed on Windjammer twice out of Tortola and got married on the first sailing. I LOVED Tortola - did NOT love Roadtown.

I did a catamaran snorkel trip that was fantastic the first year. The second year, when the ship returned to Tortola after a week in the BVI, my husband and I went over to Cane Garden Bay for the next two days - terrific beach, terrific bear bars, calm, beautiful water for swimming. Granted, it can get very busy when the big ships come in, but there are plenty of places to go. Long Bay is also wonderful -- Long Bay Beach Resort I believe will accomodate some of the cruise ships when they arrive.

You should definitely plan a stop at Pusser's -- it's a very famous pub about a five minute walk from the dock -- you can see it from the harbor as you pull in. The jerk chicken pizza is fantastic and DEFINITELY get yourself a Painkiller - BEST rum drink EVER -- you can order one in a commemorative Pusser's tin mug too!

The cruise ships dock right in the center of Road Town. If you have a map that shows Wickhams Cay 1, that's pretty much where the dock is.

Wow......I was WAY west of Wickhams Cay. I would have been really off with my directions. Thanks so much for the info!!

Archived