table for eight

ladro

Help we are cruising with 3 other couples who at the moment have some issues so nobody wants to eat together( fun trip huh?) .. anyway I did all the booking and got a confirmed 5:45 upper dinning table for 8...what can I do if anything to change this..do my dh and I sit up at this table by ourself's? Would they sit other people there? Would it be best to ask for table for 2? I am so confused as to what to do about this we leave in 3 weeks and I am trying not to let this affect our trip..This is DH first and I want him to enjoy even if his friends are being silly..:eek:

As soon as you get on board go to the purser's desk and ask when & where the maitre'd will be. He will be somewhere so passengers can change tables, etc. If everyone goes together he may be able to switch all of you. You could also call the ship's customer service and see if they can do this. We don't want a table for 8 or more as its too big, can't hear what everyone is saying. We go to find out how big our table is. Have also changed tables after the 1st night by asking him as we're leaving the dining room. We have one rule when crusing with friends. We all do our own thing during the day, talk about what we did that night. Then there are no hurt feelings because we didn't go with them!

With 3 weeks to go, you may still have time for your TA to change the seating request. I would contact them ASAP.

In our experience the seating assignments are actually done during the week before your cruise.

Find out who wants to sit with whom, at what time, and contact the TA. Just because you don't sit with your friends doesn't mean that you have to have a table for 2. You can still ask for a 4, 6 or larger. Just ask that it not be linked to your friends.

Having said that, you may want a different dining time than your friends so that you don't end up at the same table just by the luck of the draw:eek:

Charlie

Help we are cruising with 3 other couples who at the moment have some issues so nobody wants to eat together( fun trip huh?) .. anyway I did all the booking and got a confirmed 5:45 upper dinning table for 8...what can I do if anything to change this..do my dh and I sit up at this table by ourself's? Would they sit other people there? Would it be best to ask for table for 2? I am so confused as to what to do about this we leave in 3 weeks and I am trying not to let this affect our trip..This is DH first and I want him to enjoy even if his friends are being silly..:eek:

You did not say what cruise line your on, so no one can give exact advice.

If it were me, I'd do nothing. For whatever reason, you made the arrangements for the cruise. If they have issues, let them figure out a remedy. A cruise ship is like a small town, you may know everyone, but you don't see them everyday. A dinner service can be anywhere from 60-90 minutes long. If your not "hanging" around the others all day long (and shouldn't), the time around the dinner table can be a time for sharing experiences.

If you want to eat with other people (it's a nice way to meet your fellow passengers) stay at the table for eight and they will sit other people there. If you are reluctant to do that, have your TA get with the cruise line to put in a request for a smaller table (eg., for 2 if you want to be by youselves). Then when you board the ship look in the daily program that you are given on the first day to see what hours the matre d has (most have hours on the first day) and then go down there to cofirm your table size and location.

Keith

Thanks so much... all replys have been helpful. I think we will keep it and see what they all do...I always thought that you all do your own thing and meet at dinner and exchange what you did that day..I am just so sad the group is having issues..this was suppose to be a trip of your life time..maybe in the weeks to come they all calm down..the cruise line is holland america.

Be glad they won't be at your table giving a tense stomach! I made the mistake ONCE asking for small table. It was too small and not in a good area. Let the babies make their own arrangements.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and don't get in the middle. (haha)

Bon Voyage

Archived