south america and canal cruise of celebrity

jules40

hi everyone was just wondering if anyone had been on the south america panama canal cruise on celebrity. i am thinking of booking that cruise for next march. i cannot find any reviews on that cruise . they only do it 2 or 3 times year.

thanks and happy sailing

jules

princess-alaska

princess-10 day canal

celebrity-15 day panama canal

rccl-explorer

rccl-navigator

rccl-freedom of the seas

We cruised from BA to FLL this past March. It was wonderful and we will be doing it again. I watch prices daily because of discounting available as the voyage approaches.

Around the Horn can be rough and the weather is cold! From Valparaiso to Florida the weather is near perfect.

And the WINE!!!:D

We cruised from BA to FLL this past March. It was wonderful and we will be doing it again. I watch prices daily because of discounting available as the voyage approaches.

As you sailed on this cruise last year, and doing it again in 2008, when did you actually make your booking? Did the prices come down on Tuesday specials, only available to new bookings? Or did the prices come down available to previous booked cruisers? My question is when should I make the booking to get the best prices, now, or wait?

Thanks for your help.

we did the santiago to fort lauderdale in march.later realised we should have done the buenos aires to santiago first!ah well we are now booked on infinity dec 9th.2007 to santiago.and so looking forward to it.i don't think we could handle the full 28 days like arnie did.bill

As you sailed on this cruise last year, and doing it again in 2008, when did you actually make your booking? Did the prices come down on Tuesday specials, only available to new bookings? Or did the prices come down available to previous booked cruisers? My question is when should I make the booking to get the best prices, now, or wait?

Thanks for your help.

I had them booked but the price kept on dropping. Sometimes there are flight included specials but right now I'm counting on "New Bookings only" specials for next March. With filled ships elsewhere (NZ), I'm guessing South America will have specials again... (fingers crossed)

How is the $100 landing fee handled in Santiago? Cash, or can we pre pay?

Have a crisp $100 bill ready. I have seen some posts that said only cash is accepted, others that credit cards may be accepted.

How is the $100 landing fee handled in Santiago? Cash, or can we pre pay?

I have certainly heard that you can charge it, but can't swear to that.

NOTE that the Chilean $100 recipocity fee applies ONLY to arrival by air. If you come in by ship [eg from BA or FLL] or other means there is no $100 fee.

If you fly into Santiago, you do pay $100 - either cash or credit card (I used credit card - it's just easier...). If the cruise starts in Santiago, you'll probably fly there (it is a very confusing airport, by the way)... Be sure to pay the fee before getting into the very long line of going through customs... If you're stopping there on a cruise, I would be willing to bet it would be included in the cruise price - I'd check with the cruise line. I can't imagine the time and hassle it would be trying to get everyone off a ship to pay the fee and get back on (BUT, I could be wrong..).... I was there 2 weeks ago - winter is not the time to go to Santiago. Smog, rainy and cold (but still a very cool city..). GREAT restaurants...:D

We did the full 28 day Ft Lauderdale to Buneos Aries in 2005 and absolutely loved it. Will definitely repeat this itinerary!! Yes go for the full 28 day sailing. That way you are considered "In Transit" in Chile and do not have to pay the $100. in stead they give you a little piece of paper you have to carry around with you. (Just a little bigger than a business card)

The Itineray is the best we have ever had and the weather was perfect. A bit cool / cold between Puerto Montt & Port Stanley.

If you would like a copy of my review and the names of the private tour operators I uesed - who were all great - send me an e-mail at ann at century 21 vancouver dot com minus the spaces.

Ann

If you fly into Santiago, you do pay $100 - either cash or credit card (I used credit card - it's just easier...). If the cruise starts in Santiago, you'll probably fly there (it is a very confusing airport, by the way)... Be sure to pay the fee before getting into the very long line of going through customs... If you're stopping there on a cruise, I would be willing to bet it would be included in the cruise price - I'd check with the cruise line. I can't imagine the time and hassle it would be trying to get everyone off a ship to pay the fee and get back on (BUT, I could be wrong..).... I was there 2 weeks ago - winter is not the time to go to Santiago. Smog, rainy and cold (but still a very cool city..). GREAT restaurants...:D

Note that the $100 Recipocity Fee only has to be paid once per passport [it is noted in your passport, and is good for as long as the passport is, be it 6 more months or 10 years]. I have been to Chile a number of times, but have not flown in by air since this Fee went into effect. Unless things have changed in the last year there is NO FEE unless you are entering by air [i have entered Chile by rail, ship and bus and never paid the Fee].

Archived