Big Band Cruises 2008

NHBob

Couldn't find an appropriate thread for this, so I'm starting this one. I trust that one of the hosts can redirect post to another thread if more appropriate.

Holland America: have just heard from two different sources that the March 15th Zuiderdam transatlantic crossing (Ft. Lauderdale - Rome) will be a big band cruise featuring the Harry James Orchestra. I'm awaiting HAL's confirmation of this (there's nothing on their website yet) and will post confirmation if I get it.

Crystal: similar to 2007, the Crystal Serenity's November 2008 Lisbon-Miami crossing will definitely have a big-band theme. Band hasn't been confirmed yet, but Crystal normally books the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. Only change from 2007 itinerary is a port call at Grand Turk instead of Bermuda.

I've done two cruises with each of these bands and in my opinion, they are the best afloat.

Thanks Bob,

I did notice in the 2008 Europe brochure that the March eastbound Zuiderdam TA was a big band cruise.

I was about to stop hoping that HAL would reinstiture this great feature.

We missed out this year as there are no 2007 BB cruises. I was really wanting our October westbound TA to have a big band onboard.

GN

shipcafe:

Not that I do not believe you but I would sure like to see something

official. I would hate to book the cruise and then find out they

were only having small groups.

We are on the Noordam this christmas and the Westerdam for a T/A

this October.

shipcafe:

Not that I do not believe you but I would sure like to see something

official. I would hate to book the cruise and then find out they

were only having small groups.

I agree and was holding off booking until confirmed. Well, now it is. Below is text of e-mail I just received from HAL:

Dear Mr. Caswell,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning our upcoming cruise on the ms Zuiderdam departing on March 15, 2008.

The Harry James Orchestra will indeed be playing on this sailing.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance. Our valued Guests’ comments or suggestions are always welcome and very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you on board in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Consumer and On-Line Support Team

Holland America Line

1-877-SAIL-HAL

The October 4th, 2008 sailing of the ms Noordam is a Big Band Theme Cruise. HERE is the link.

Have they announced which band will be on board? (I don't have a 2008 Europe brochure yet; downloading and printing it will take too much time.) For similar, slightly longer, Noordam crossing in Oct. '06 it was the Nick Ross Orchestra, ok but not one of my favorites.

Bob

In regard to the March 2008 Transatlantic Harry James theme cruise...indulge me...what are these type cruises all about? Harry James was before my time, but, I appreciate this type of music.

I was recently on a QM2 crossing...very traditional and enjoyed the music. I really do need to take some dance lessons, though.

In regard to the March 2008 Transatlantic Harry James theme cruise...indulge me...what are these type cruises all about? Harry James was before my time, but, I appreciate this type of music.

The Guy Lombardo Orchestra was the band on my first trans-At in '01. Every sea day they played by the Lido pool from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM; there was one 15-minute break (and they held to it).

They also did a couple of evening shows, a cocktail time (or two?), played for either the Welcome Aboard Party (I think that was it) or the Mariners Party (can't remember), and for a tea dansant one afternoon.

There might have been one or two other times that I can no longer remember.

There was dancing at each performance (natch) and four very busy, very nice dance hosts who danced with all the women who had no partner and wanted to dance. They were the best group of dance hosts I have every cruised with. :)

I danced 'til my legs burned. Then rested and danced some more. :D

I was recently on a QM2 crossing...very traditional and enjoyed the music. I really do need to take some dance lessons, though.

The big band cruises feature full, traditional big bands, 16 to 18 pieces. The ones using the name of a famous big band leader do so under license from the leader's estate. The actual band composition may also be governed by the license, to conform to the makeup of the name band.

A typical big band will include 4 saxophones, with some members doubling on clarinet and/or flute; 4 trombones; 4 trumpets, percussionist; piano; base; and, of course, the leader, usually a featured soloist. Some bands carry one singer, others both a "boy" and "girl singer".

The distinctive sound of a big band is a product of the leader and, more important, the arrangements. For example, the Glen Miller sound is the result of substituting a clarinet for one sax. In addition, the clarinet must be blown like a sax to get the right sound, which is why very few Glen Miller wannabes achieve it. I haven't cruised with the Glen Miller band scheduled for the Noordam's fall crossing. Not sure if it is the British or U.S. version, both of which perform under the Glen Miller trademark.

One of my two favorites, the Harry James Orchestra, is led by Fred Radke, who played first trumpet with Harry in his later years. Band members range from some surviving big band members to younger musicians continuing the big band tradition. Fred's wife Gina Fumes is the vocalist. I've done two cruises with them and plan to book the March '08 Zuiderdam crossing.

My other favorite is the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, led by old timer Buddy Morrow, now in his 80s. Buddy has had some excellent bands himself, but also played with the Dorsey Brothers, I believe after Tommy and Jimmy stopped feuding long enough to re-combine the two bands in the '40s or '50s. I'm booked on their November '07 crossing on Crystal Serenity and will almost certainly book the similar November '08 voyage

Generally, the featured big band will play a couple of concerts, but more important, since these are dance bands, two or three evening sets. On HAL's Vista Class ships this is usually in the Crow's Nest; on Crystal, the Starlite and Stardust ballrooms on their two ships. Bands often play at other events such as tea time or for an on-deck function.

One little extra on HAL is that they normally schedule a morning coffee with the band leader, singer and one or two band members, a great opportunity to chat with them.

A bonus on Crystal is that they normally have an expert big band theme lecturer on board. Loren Schoenberg, Executive Director, Harlem Jazz Museum, was on my last Crystal big band crossing, and is also on the November 2007 crossing; too early to know if he will be on the '08 crossing.

HAL often has Dr. Justin Miller on board as an entertainer (classical guitar) but also as a lecturer on the popular music scene. Unfortunately, unlike Crystal, HAL doesn't post the entertainment program on their website, but I believe Miller has a website where he posts his schedule. Try Googling "Justin Miller".

Both Schoenberg and Miller are almost worth the cost of the cruise.

Regarding dancing, the big band cruises convinced me that I really needed to learn to dance at my advanced age (75) and I've been taking lessons for the last two years now.

The bands I have cruised with normally concentrate on waltzes, foxtrots and swing. They do, however, include a few Latin pieces - rumba, tango, cha-cha - although the Latin craze didn't really come along until near the end of the big band era.

I've gone on long enough, but as you can see I'm a big band fan, old enough to remember the great bands in their final years.

Will be glad to try to answer any additional quetions, although I'm a fan, not an expert.

One of my best experiences was being a "Dance Host" on a ship that was in port here in Hawai'i a few (actually many) years ago.

The band was the Glenn Miller Band (American) and they were AWESOME. The only problem, was the roof was so low on that particular ship that my dance partner and I couldn't do any lifts. :(

It was a LOT of fun dancing with the passengers, however.

I've gone on long enough, but as you can see I'm a big band fan, old enough to remember the great bands in their final years.

I'm impressed! :) Your knowledge of the bands and the cast of characters is excellent.

If we ever find ourselves on the same ship at the same time I would be honored to buy you a drink and pick your brain.

I haven't checked it in longer than I care to admit, but Justin Miller's website was justinmillerguitar.com

I agree, don't ever miss one of his lectures. He's excellent.

Archived