Help with itinerary for Bermuda on Sunday (Explorer)

Just wondering if anyone who has been on the 9 day cruise on Explorer that goes to Bermuda on Sunday can help. My itinerary includes buying a ferry/bus pass to take the 9:30 ferry over to Hamilton. Hop on the #7 bus and get off at Warwick Long Bay. Walk down to Horseshoe Bay. Then catch a bus back around 2:00 - 2:30. Any thoughts?

All help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!:)

You don't need to go to Hamilton to catch the #7 bus, it is available right from King's wharf. Frankly I wasn't very impressed with Hamilton and we were sorry we didn't stay at the beach all day! We had two days there though.

Horseshoe beach is beautiful and definitely worth going. When you leave the beach the bus stop is at the top of a very long, steep hill. There is a guy at the bottom with a van and will take you to the top of the hill for $1 per person. Best dollar ever spent!! Have a great time.

No shops will be open in Hamilton on Sunday. There's nothing else there of interest. I would take the 7 bus to and from Horeshoe beach instead.

Never been to Bermuda before and we are considering going to the beach on the 9 day EOS so we will also be there on Sunday. Can anyone tell me what facilities are available at Horseshoe Beach such as concessions, snorkeling, water sports, etc.?

Are there any churches in the area where the ship docks?

Last year, we were very disappointed when we arrived in Hamilton as some of the old stores were closed and about to be demolished. Most of what was left were tacky t shirt and souvenir shops. There are some good pubs and on the back streets there are some better shops but not along the line of Trimingham's etc. The ferry ride is well worth the cost and add me to the list of those whose favorite beach on Bermuda is Horseshoe Bay. Don't know if shops are open on Sunday, but there was a good variety of shops in King's Wharf.

Never been to Bermuda before and we are considering going to the beach on the 9 day EOS so we will also be there on Sunday. Can anyone tell me what facilities are available at Horseshoe Beach such as concessions, snorkeling, water sports, etc.?

Are there any churches in the area where the ship docks?

Horseshoe beach has a snack bar, changing/shower facilities, and a chair/umbrella rental. They were pricey though for the rentals, if I remember correctly 2 chairs and an umbrella was in the 30-35$ range and then we got something back like around 10$. Don't quote me on the exact prices though but I remember them as being high. Also we got there early at about 10 or so and by the time we left at 1, people were waiting on the line and near the rental place for more umbrellas.

You don't need to go to Hamilton to catch the #7 bus, it is available right from King's wharf. Frankly I wasn't very impressed with Hamilton and we were sorry we didn't stay at the beach all day! We had two days there though.

Horseshoe beach is beautiful and definitely worth going. When you leave the beach the bus stop is at the top of a very long, steep hill. There is a guy at the bottom with a van and will take you to the top of the hill for $1 per person. Best dollar ever spent!! Have a great time.

Last time we were there on a Sunday there was no Van at all. We were disappointed cuz SIL has bad knees and it was difficult walking to the top for her. Just warning you in case Sunday is still this guy's day off.

Last year, we were very disappointed when we arrived in Hamilton as some of the old stores were closed and about to be demolished. Most of what was left were tacky t shirt and souvenir shops. There are some good pubs and on the back streets there are some better shops but not along the line of Trimingham's etc. The ferry ride is well worth the cost and add me to the list of those whose favorite beach on Bermuda is Horseshoe Bay. Don't know if shops are open on Sunday, but there was a good variety of shops in King's Wharf.

Yes! Shops are open in Kings Wharf on Sundays and so is the Glass Factory, Rum Cake Factory, art gallery, Naval Museum, Bone Fish, Beethovens, Frog & Onion pub, pottery shop, Snorkel Beach Park, Clock Tower Mall shops, segways Tours, Scooter rentals ( I do not recommend ) etc. There is plenty to do and see in Kings wharf and it's a beautiful historic area all within walking distance of the ship. The Trolley excusion picks you up right at the ship, Ferry is steps away, cabs and buses are right there. Very easy to get around in Bermuda! Hamilton is very pretty with pastel buildings, historic churches, shops, etc. BUT it is a very busy city when everything is open. Shops are CLOSED on Sundays but the ferry ride over and back is nice to see the beautiful homes. We love Bermuda and it is absolutely beautiful and it's our favorite island to visit. :) www.bermuda.com is a good site to visit!

From what I can tell, the closest church to the dockyard is a very old Anglican one, St. James Church in Sandy Parish. Here is the Bermuda.com site with the list of churches on the island:

http://www.bermuda.com/community/faithworship/

Yes, and it's best to take a cab or the Trolley Excursion to this as it's a bit of a walk. The Angelican Cathedral in Hamilton is beautiful but that is a walk up hill from the ferry so again best to take a cab if walking is an issue. :)

Beautiful set of photos, really makes me want to go back there. I have been going there since I was a child (my dad set up operations at the airfield during WWII and it was one of his favorite places). I chanced on the dockyards in 1976 before they were developed and what they have done with them is amazing. You can spend the whole day there. They have turned the old workshops into artist's studios and the glass blowing shop is a real treat. There is usually someone at work blowing glass. My favorite items there are the Christmas balls, virtually unbreakable and gorgeous. There is also an office tourism there and should you wish to see the island, they are extremely helpful in planning your day for you. On one of my last trips there, the lady running the office looked so familiar...turns out she was a teenager and my waitress at the hotel we stayed at when I was little. Then I took the bus, sat next to another lady, started up a conversation with her and told her what had just happened. She was the cousin of the lady at the office!

Another thing to do if you want a custom tour is to get together with a few others and hire a cab for the day. The cab drivers there are super friendly and tour guides in their own right. They can take you up to Gibb's Hill to see the lighthouse, etc. Crystal Caves are beautiful as well and can be reached by the bus. Be sure to see both caves.

Enjoy yourself, Bermuda is like no other place on earth.

Archived