New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

By the time i arrive in New York on Oct 21, 2007 i suspect baseball might be over - so i only want to see the stadium - if i want i can see the Yanks play in Seattle which is only a 4 hour drive from Vancouver. Will probably taxi it over to the pier as it looks like it is easier that way than lugging the luggage.

Thanks

Dennis

By the time i arrive in New York on Oct 21, 2007 i suspect baseball might be over - so i only want to see the stadium - if i want i can see the Yanks play in Seattle which is only a 4 hour drive from Vancouver. Will probably taxi it over to the pier as it looks like it is easier that way than lugging the luggage.

Thanks

Dennis

Yankee stadium tours are run year round

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/stadium_tours.jsp

Is there any great reason to go visit the other boroughs or should i just spend my time in Manhattan.

Just spend the time in Manhattan. If you go to Yankee Stadium, you'll se a bit of the Bronx. If you want to see a different part of the Bronx, go to the Bronx Zoo for a day.

Where is Yankee Stadium located and how easy is it to get to it - bus and subways along with the hop on hop off will be main transportation.

Yankee Stadium is on 161st St in the Bronx. You can take the subway, it's about a half hour ride from Manhattan. If you go to the Yankees website, you can get directions and also get info on stadium tours:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/index.jsp

I've taken the stadium tour and it is very interesting - you'll go to the press booth, the locker room (if the Yankees aren't in town), the dugout and to Monument Park. Or you can upgrade and tour a little bit more of the stadium.

I am budgeting about $40.00 a day for meals etc. I am not a gourmet diner so family style restaurants are okay - are there some good local ones near the Y and if there was one fish and chip place to recommend what would it be.

Also for the trip to and from Boston - would you take the train or the bus - looking to see the best countryside and fall colors not the fastest and most boring way there and do the train on this route keep to their schedules or are they like the rest of Amtrak - usually late.

I'd take the train - I have no patience to sit in traffic on a bus, but that's just me.

Enjoy NY!

every October for the last 15 years or so the Yankees have been in the Playoffs almost every year....prepare to pay big for the tickets however...the most I paid was $10,000 for two field box seats for the world series.

Awesome, very nice seats...a little pricey….;)

What game and Who won that game?

Magnolia was made famous through the tv show Sex in the City. their one attraction is their cupcakes which are junk. however, i heard their other items are very good...(i cannot vouch for that).

here is a link of people's comments on this place: if you look deep enough you'll find my review.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7117258/

i suppose you can take the time to go there. i guess there is no other way, but to see for yourself. in fact, here is a copy of my review:

**********************************************************************************

many OTHER places to get a cupcake

1 Star Rating: Not Recommended

11/21/2005 Posted by zonehph

for the yuppies and wannabes PROS: quaint; trendy with a martha stewart feel; cupcake prices are ok, but i should have been fair and looked at the other desserts and prices; sex&the city tourist spot is great for business. CONS: RUDE EMPLOYEES; the line is long not because of popularity but because the store only holds like 5 customers at a time (even less when you have the more robust patrons visit); i don't like the self serve cupcakes ESPECIALLY in such tight quarters...i'm waiting for the one person to sneeze all over them. CUPCAKE: dry/stale/bland/icing is good, but BORING. i am a believer that "less is more" at times...well you can't get any more less than this. BOTTOMLINE: just give your dollar to a homeless person on the street. you will do them far greater justice than this cupcake will your sweet tooth.

Hi Dennis,

Staying at the Y is a fabulous idea. If you visit Central Park you can couple it with a visit to either the Museum of Natural History or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, they both border the park, but on different sides. Central Park is huge, but there are maps with different hikes/walks you can take. Google Central Park, I think they have different tours you can print out online. My daughter goes to college in Boston and we have found that Amtrak to be very expensive -- you can fly Jet Blue for the same price. You can easily catch a Greyhound bus out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, round trip is around $30, make sure you get an express bus, not a local. Without traffic you will be in Boston in less than five hours.

Like Joseph i will be visiting NYC for the first time for 4 days pre-cruise in the third week of October '07 - so i have enjoyed reading through the pages for ideas of what to do etc.

As for accommodation since I worked my entire career with the YMCA I booked into the West Side Y at about $90 a night - don't expect to be in the room except to sleep and shower so will use the money to enjoy NYC - will be traveling to NYC by Amtrak - staying three nights - then up to Boston where my mother was born for three nights and then back to NYC the night before the cruise - sail from Manhattan on NCL which I believe is not that far from the Y.

Just starting to put together a list of things to do and one question that comes to mind - how much time would you devote to seeing Central Park - will probably walk it but renting a bike is also a possibility.

Is there any great reason to go visit the other boroughs or should i just spend my time in Manhattan.

Where is Yankee Stadium located and how easy is it to get to it - bus and subways along with the hop on hop off will be main transportation.

I am budgeting about $40.00 a day for meals etc. I am not a gourmet diner so family style restaurants are okay - are there some good local ones near the Y and if there was one fish and chip place to recommend what would it be.

Also for the trip to and from Boston - would you take the train or the bus - looking to see the best countryside and fall colors not the fastest and most boring way there and do the train on this route keep to their schedules or are they like the rest of Amtrak - usually late.

More later and thanks in advance for your answers.

There will be more questions as I plan out my visit.

Cheers

Dennis

Joseph, c'mon you are going to eat a cupcake in NY.? Name a dessert from any nation, and you will find it in NYC. How about a cannoli or some ruggulah?:)

I need some information about this bakery:

MAGNOLIA, where is it and any comments related.

Thanks.:)

The best macaroons at Madeleine Patisserie

128 W 23rd St

New York, NY 10011

1110461381_0586c4d7bc.jpg

almost as good as Laduree's in Paris, which (rumor has ir) is going to open the store in NYC soon (fingers crossed). They have about 15 flavors.

17.jpg

I love macaroons, the real kind, made with the almond paste. Yummy.

TODAY WE BUY TICKETS TO THE METROPOLITAN OPERA....

WE ARE GOING TO SEE MADAMA BUTTERFLY BY PUCCINI

:) :) :) :)

Any opera fans, traveling or living in NY You can buy single tickets beggining today.

Can any one tell me more about the Lincoln Center (the Met opera house)?

Thanks.

Joseph, c'mon you are going to eat a cupcake in NY.? Name a dessert from any nation, and you will find it in NYC. How about a cannoli or some ruggulah?:)

I agree!

If someone with a desire for dessert is visiting NYC, then I'd recommend something more interesting than a so-so cupcake.

For great jewish pastry's like ruggulah, babka and hamentashen, I like Moishes on 2nd Ave and about 7th Street in the East Village. (aka LES, Lower East Side)

For italian pastry's, I like Veneiro's on 11th Street between 1st and 2nd Ave, also in the East Village/LES. We often go there after an inexpensive dinner at one of the many indian restaurants on E. 6th Street betw. 1st and 2nd Ave's. (Mitali is our fave - been going there since high school). Also many other places in nearby Little Italy have wonderful pastry's. I like Cafe Roma as well as some of the others on Mulberry Street. Ferraria's is my least fave since they've become more of a DisneyLand.

For amazing french pastry's head up to the Upper East Side on Lexington Ave and 74th Street to Payard. www.payard.com You can have dinner in the restaurant or dessert only in the bakery cafe upfront. Handmade chocolates are also for sale. This is a good place to walk to from the Guggenheim, Whitney or Metropolitan Museums as well as being close to Bloomingdales.

If you do want a great cupcake, my favorite cupcakes and handmade doughnuts are from the Cupcake Cafe on 39th St and 9th Ave. An easy stroll from the theatre district.

Any opera fans, traveling or living in NY You can buy single tickets beggining today.

Thanks.

Don't know what kind of info you want. You can go to www.Lincolncenter.com for some info.

Unlike Broadway shows, Lincoln Center attracts a more well heeled crowd and you won't find the ugly sneakers and jeans crowd. People tend to dress better, even more so if you're attending on a Friday or Sat evening.

Sometimes they offer dinner right in the building with app's and main courses before the curtain and dessert at intermission. That's a fun option, so you can inquire about that for your evening. You have to pre-book it.

There's also a casual, inexpensive cafe in the building if you just want a quick sandwich/salad before the opera.

Other dining spots across the street that I like are: Cafe Fiorello (italian), Josephina's (continentel), Shun Lee (upscale cantonese). You can dine before or after the opera.

Joseph, I have read through this thread and understand your frustration at NYC hotel room rates!!! I had the same "Oh NO!" moment last October when planning a last minute trip in October for my family. That's why I chose to go with http://www.apartments2book.com They have some budget rooms but without knowing your exact dates I couldn't check but you can! They are reputable...check the reviews at http://www.tripadvisor.com Hope you find something!

Thanks.

my wife and i saw M. Butterfly in the spring. was EXCELLENT!

My former boss -who sold the company for $800 million dollars- when he wants to go to the Met Opera only just goes and buys a ticket from someone who has a left over- he tries to get it for free...and I am not kidding/

I believe it. LOL. And most of the time he probably got it. The person who gave it to him probably took it as a tax write-off. All those fancy-schmancy events in the Hamptons -- tax write offs. Meanwhile, we search for the cheapest hotel and cruise rates like dogs. :D Those coming to NY will notice the very rich, and the very poor. The middle class is invisible.