New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

Hi

Well I have another ? for thoses who live in New York. I can get a 9pm flight out of EWR which allow me lots of time to do the bus tour but was wondering what the distance was from Time square and cab fare or should I just book a 6pm flight out of LGA and save myself some hassel.

Thansk...How close is the one on Times Square to where I'm stayin...Radisson on Lexington.:confused:

Not far at all. It's definitely in walking distance. You have to walk West about five Avenues. It will probably be about a 15 minute walk but if you try to cab it, it will probably take about 30 minutes. :eek:

Hi

Well I have another ? for thoses who live in New York. I can get a 9pm flight out of EWR which allow me lots of time to do the bus tour but was wondering what the distance was from Time square and cab fare or should I just book a 6pm flight out of LGA and save myself some hassel.

Cab fare to EWR is about $60 - $75, depending on traffice. It's the meter plus $15 surcharge plus tip. If no traffic then it will take about 30 minutes but I would allow an hour to be on the safe side. Even though LGA is cheaper and closer, you would still have HOURS to wait at LGA for a 6PM flight. I would do the bus tour and exhaust yourself so you can sleep on the 9PM flight home.

Lexington Ave is miles long. Tell me which street on Lexington Ave and I give you some info.

The address is 511 Lexington at 48th Street. According to the website, Times Square is .69 miles away. Now I have to figure out how far that is:D

The address is 511 Lexington at 48th Street. According to the website, Times Square is .69 miles away. Now I have to figure out how far that is:D

Its just about 1 kilometer....It really is less since most measurement from times square are from 42 nd street and Broadway but times square really covers 42-48th street Broadway and 7th Avenue....

Joseph, I love New York and lived there for 3 years in the 1980s and would do it again if I could. Now I only get to visit every year or so.

A year or so ago I took the train in from NJ to Penn Station, walked up to Times Square where I got tickets for a matinee. Then I thought maybe I'd take a crosstown bus to my hotel which was in the general vicinity of yours. I wound up walking the whole way, and it wasn't a bad walk at all. And I'm a mid 60s woman who at the time was majorly overweight.

I haven't read all of this thread, but I have read enough to know you've gotten good advice on what to see in just a few days. The city has so much that you can never do it all in one short visit. I went the first time when I was 27 and vowed I'd live there one day, and I did!

Its just about 1 kilometer....It really is less since most measurement from times square are from 42 nd street and Broadway but times square really covers 42-48th street Broadway and 7th Avenue....

Thanks and I appreciate your conversion to kilometers. Not many Americans know the metric system. I am actually looking forward to my weekend in New York regardless of where I'm staying. Do you have any suggestions on which show to see.:confused:

Thanks and I appreciate your conversion to kilometers. Not many Americans know the metric system. I am actually looking forward to my weekend in New York regardless of where I'm staying. Do you have any suggestions on which show to see.:confused:

Before in this thread many has post good comments about a broadway show...Check it and you will find many good options:)

Joseph, I love New York and lived there for 3 years in the 1980s and would do it again if I could. Now I only get to visit every year or so.

A year or so ago I took the train in from NJ to Penn Station, walked up to Times Square where I got tickets for a matinee. Then I thought maybe I'd take a crosstown bus to my hotel which was in the general vicinity of yours. I wound up walking the whole way, and it wasn't a bad walk at all. And I'm a mid 60s woman who at the time was majorly overweight.

I haven't read all of this thread, but I have read enough to know you've gotten good advice on what to see in just a few days. The city has so much that you can never do it all in one short visit. I went the first time when I was 27 and vowed I'd live there one day, and I did!

That sounds like a good expirience...thanks for shareing.

In this thread i recive many good advices about what to do, where to eat, where to stay...

I think this thread is going to be very usefull for future readers traveling to NY.

I am looking foward to see this amazing city.

:) :) :) :)

plus round trip tolls

Oh yeah, forgot about tolls, that's about another $8?

The TKTS booth is at 46th by Broadway. I'm a Manhattanite so I go by blocks, not miles or kilometers. :o That would mean two short street blocks and about five "long" avenue blocks. 7th Avenue and Broadway meet up around there so it's not as many avenues as you would think. Seriously, 15 minute walk unless you meander, then about 20/25 minutes. That's a normal New York walk.

If you stop to go to the Statue of Liberty you have great views of the lower part of the city. We have a family picture taken with the Trade Center in the background before Sept. 11 - I am so happy we had that photo.

If you try and do a Circle Line cruise, you will get a load of great shots of the skyline on the trip.

Thanks everyone about the advice for the photos...:)

I also heard that the staten island ferry is free and then you can get amazing pictures from there.

Thanks everyone i will keep in mind all your comments.

I am writing all your advices to take with me to NY.:D

Like Joseph i will be visiting NYC for the first time for 4 days pre-cruise in the third week of October '07 - so i have enjoyed reading through the pages for ideas of what to do etc.

As for accommodation since I worked my entire career with the YMCA I booked into the West Side Y at about $90 a night - don't expect to be in the room except to sleep and shower so will use the money to enjoy NYC - will be traveling to NYC by Amtrak - staying three nights - then up to Boston where my mother was born for three nights and then back to NYC the night before the cruise - sail from Manhattan on NCL which I believe is not that far from the Y.

Just starting to put together a list of things to do and one question that comes to mind - how much time would you devote to seeing Central Park - will probably walk it but renting a bike is also a possibility.

Is there any great reason to go visit the other boroughs or should i just spend my time in Manhattan.

Where is Yankee Stadium located and how easy is it to get to it - bus and subways along with the hop on hop off will be main transportation.

I am budgeting about $40.00 a day for meals etc. I am not a gourmet diner so family style restaurants are okay - are there some good local ones near the Y and if there was one fish and chip place to recommend what would it be.

Also for the trip to and from Boston - would you take the train or the bus - looking to see the best countryside and fall colors not the fastest and most boring way there and do the train on this route keep to their schedules or are they like the rest of Amtrak - usually late.

More later and thanks in advance for your answers.

There will be more questions as I plan out my visit.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis:

Personally with only a few days I would stay in Manhattan. It's possible to get to Yankee Stadium by subway, but I don't know if there's anything going on there in October.

I had to look up the address of the West Side Y, and you're right that it's not too far from the ship's terminal. But if you have much luggage it could be a difficult walk.

Dennis:

Personally with only a few days I would stay in Manhattan. It's possible to get to Yankee Stadium by subway, but I don't know if there's anything going on there in October.

every October for the last 15 years or so the Yankees have been in the Playoffs almost every year....prepare to pay big for the tickets however...the most I paid was $10,000 for two field box seats for the world series.