experienced jewelry shoppers

I have considered buying a new ring while in port (key west, cozumel, belize this time), and was wondering if the deals on Tanzanite are much better than in the US? I would only buy from a major (reputable) store and would be looking for a high quality stone. I have shopped in my area (minneapolis) and can get a fairly good deal (I think). Has anyone bought while away and gotten a good deal? Will the sales people drop their "first offer price"?

thanks!

Well, I'll speak for myself on this one. It is much more advantageous for me to purchase my jewelry stateside from our jeweler. He gives us an automatic 60% off the price, and if I see something elsewhere that I like, I will describe it to him and he will design it for me.

There's a link to a very interesting website about jewlery posted on the Cozumel section of the ports of call board---scroll down to the topic entitled "tanzanite"---the link is posted in one of the more recent responses on this thread. The article specifically targets problems with Diamonds International.

I bought a diamond and sapphire band from Diamonds International in Cancun. When I got home one of the stones had gotten loose from the prongs. The jeweler where I took it said the diamonds were "crap". I still like the ring , but wouldn't purchase there again.

Anne

Gals, maybe if you see something which you really, really like in the islands, you could make a mental note of the design, and then have your jeweler back home make it for you. I think that the time and effort we sometimes put into returning "goods" may not really be worth it, at least for me.

Having spent many hours looking at jewelry all over the Caribbean (and all over my local malls), I will say this - the tanzanites in the Caribbean are stunning - much deeper and richer in color than most I've seen in the U.S. You will find a terrific selection while on your cruise. Most stores around here have just a few tanzanite pieces, and a lot of them have small, pale stones. The Caribbean stores will have dozens - or hundreds - with big, gorgeous stones! :D But are they a better deal? Not necessarily. You will find fair prices, but they sure aren't giving them away! (And be aware of what the duty-free limit is and what the duty would be if you go over that limit.)

Personally, for an expensive item, I'd rather buy from a local jeweler with an established reputation, so I could go back to them if there were any problems. I'm sure many people have been satisfied with their purchases in the Caribbean, but I've read just enough accounts of disappointments that I'd be wary. I would feel more comfortable with a local jeweler who depends on repeat business in a community than a Caribbean vendor who knows he may never see his customers again. And based on stories on these boards, I don't put much store in those "guarantees" the cruise lines offer for certain merchants. The suggestion to have a local jeweler order or make a special piece for you is an excellent one.

All that being said, if you fall in love with a certain piece, feel it's a good price based on your research, can afford it (and why not try bargaining??), and want a sparkling souvenir of your cruise, I will certainly not be the one to tell you not to buy it! Here's a site with some good information on buying gems:

http://www.*****.org/

I know I am going against the flow here, but I have a jeweler in St Thomas that I have been buying from for 10 years. He gives me fantastic deals. My GIA certified stateside jeweler appraises his items and confirms I am getting really good value for my money. He even lets me "upgrade" my jewelry at current market value if that is higher than what I paid for it. I guess that is becaues I have such a long term relationship with him.

However, with that said, I also made 2 major diamond purchases from Diamonds International. Yes, I had the shopping person from the ship with me and they were major purchases. They were also confirmed as major deals and major savings by my GIA certified jeweler. My jeweler by the way is nationally known and testifies in court cases involving fraud and estate disputes.

I don't know if my experience is the norm. I did have the ship person with me at DI for major purchases. The St Thomas jeweler is not a high volume chain jeweler, but a family owned jewelry store. Also I have a long term relationship with this person.

I just want to say you can't paint with broad brush strokes. You have to be careful. You can get good deals if you take your time and work at it.

Linda

Cruisin'4fun - I bought my tanzanite ring in OchoRios. The quality and the price were a great deal according to my Jeweler. The states tend to have more of the lighter colored stones, whereas the Islands have a great selection on the darker colored ones. Whatever you do, make sure you take it out into the sunlight to get the true color of the stone. All the stores I was in allowed me to do this. Also ask to use the loop to inspect the stone. Check it for inclusions.

I bought my diamond studs in Cozumel. Saved $1000.00 off the price they wanted plus got my diamond and tanzanite slide at half price.

Also don't accept their price.....9 out of 10 will haggle with you.

Happy shopping

7_3_130.gif

Archived