Miami Stone Crab Claws

sharlon

We will be sailing out of MIA at the end of October. DH LOVES stone crab claws and we never get them here in the mountains. Other than Joe's, does anyone know of a good place to get him some good stone crab claws? We will be staying at the Doubletree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay on the Saturday night before Halloween.

Thanks in advance!

We will be sailing out of MIA at the end of October. DH LOVES stone crab claws and we never get them here in the mountains. Other than Joe's, does anyone know of a good place to get him some good stone crab claws? We will be staying at the Doubletree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay on the Saturday night before Halloween.

Thanks in advance!

Monty's Raw Bar and Cotty's Landing ahs them..although not as good a quality as Joe's.

Thanks! I had read about Monty's and actually saw several reviews of Joe's that said they "discriminate" against out of towners by giving them the lower quality claws. As long as he gets them, I don't think he'll care. My concern is trying to get in on a Saturday night. Any idea if any of these places take ressies?

Monty's .... outside .... either location shouldn't be a problem

and I think they are as good as Joe's.....

However...note....if you really want Joe's ..... did you know they have a take out counter?

Thanks! I had read about Monty's and actually saw several reviews of Joe's that said they "discriminate" against out of towners by giving them the lower quality claws./quote]

Having grown up in Miami, and eaten at both Joe's and Monty's for years, I think this is absolutely nonsensical.

We were at Joe's last year on a Saturday at 4:30 (the bar was open and they were taking names on the list). At 5:00 p.m. they threw open the dining room doors and called about 30 names - it was something to see.

We ended up eating appetizers in the bar because we had the kiddos and they were exhausted, but they did have "medium" (I think) claws on the menu there and I was as happy as a clam (hee!)

Monty's .... outside .... either location shouldn't be a problem

and I think they are as good as Joe's.....

However...note....if you really want Joe's ..... did you know they have a take out counter?

I was at Monty's happy hour last Friday and was very unimpressed with the Stone crabs :cool:

If you've never been to Joe's you should absolutely make it a point to go. It IS a good idea to go early to avoid a wait, but at that time of year it really shouldn't be much of a problem. They only start serving the stone crabs on October 15th. Do not get the mediums, they're just too small. The "selects" are bigger and still affordable. Besides the stone crabs, the other musts are, cole slaw, creamed spinach, lyonnaise potatoes and key lime pie. Other than the crabs, their prices are reasonable. http://www.joesstonecrab.com

Thanks everyone! We definitely can't get there early, due to our flight. Looks like it will be either Joe's or Monty's.

BTW, anyone know what's going on in MIA that weekend (Oct 26-28)? We had a hard time finding a room, and when we did, the prices were higher than other weekends.

http://www.fishhouse.com/

Check this place out too...it is in Key Largo. Stoppped there a few years ago after a day in the Keys. I had stone crab and hubby had coconut shrimp. Both were out of this world!!!

We have also been to Joes and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Since we will be in Miami next month, crab is out of season...:( Guess I will have to book our next trip around crab season time!!!

Thanks everyone! We definitely can't get there early, due to our flight. Looks like it will be either Joe's or Monty's.

BTW, anyone know what's going on in MIA that weekend (Oct 26-28)? We had a hard time finding a room, and when we did, the prices were higher than other weekends.

NFL Football?

EDIT: hmmm must be something else. miami dolphins website says dolphins are playing the ny giants in london, england that wknd.

Thanks! I had read about Monty's and actually saw several reviews of Joe's that said they "discriminate" against out of towners by giving them the lower quality claws. ?

I don't know how they'd know to discriminate against tourists. I've eaten at Monty's with my sister who is a local and her crab claws looked just like mine.

The cheapest way to eat them is to get crab claws from the grocery store seafood market.

I hate to say this but since the Maitre d kicked the bucket at Joes, I like it there much better than Montys.

I know your dates are the last weekend of Fantasy Fest in Key West and the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show and I'm sure Miami is getting overflow hotel rooms considering the massive amount of people both events attract.

I don't know how they'd know to discriminate against tourists. I've eaten at Monty's with my sister who is a local and her crab claws looked just like mine.

The cheapest way to eat them is to get crab claws from the grocery store seafood market.

I hate to say this but since the Maitre d kicked the bucket at Joes, I like it there much better than Montys.

I know your dates are the last weekend of Fantasy Fest in Key West and the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show and I'm sure Miami is getting overflow hotel rooms considering the massive amount of people both events attract.

I think it was more that they hold out the best claws for their regulars. Anyway, DH will be happy either way.

Thanks for the info on that weekend. It is probably not helping that it is Halloween weekend as well.

Archived