Infinity it is! Now....about the cabin

gbanshee

We decided on Infinity for Alaska 2008. We know we want an Aft Cabin.

If we go for a FOV corner aft, which cabin/floor is best and why? and if we go for CC which cabin/floor is best and why?

It was hard to decide on the larger ship (LOVE the Century), but SEA is easier for us to fly into and I would actually like to see Victoria.

We decided on Infinity for Alaska 2008. We know we want an Aft Cabin.

If we go for a FOV corner aft, which cabin/floor is best and why? and if we go for CC which cabin/floor is best and why?

It was hard to decide on the larger ship (LOVE the Century), but SEA is easier for us to fly into and I would actually like to see Victoria.

If you can get it, try for deck 7 or 8. Deck 9 is under the outside area of the buffet (on 10), and may cause some noise (sometimes because of cleaning being done with much shuffling of chairs and tables, and sometimes because of all the other passengers who will be enthralled with the Alaska scenery and be spending lots of time up on top of your head!)

We had 7202 on Millennium for a transatlantic this spring and just loved it. 7199 is equally good (below the 2 corner FVs on Deck 7 are just the two enormous suites), as are the two corners on Deck 8.

Of course, if you can only get an FV on Deck 9, then GRAB IT!! :D You might be able to switch it later on. We have a CC aft for our Infinity Alaska cruise this September, and could have switched it about 4 weeks ago to a corner FV, but the price difference was $500 per person more and we decided against it. (The reason for the big $$ difference was that there was senior pricing offered for the CCs - even the aft ones, but not for the FVs.)

Hello Sharon - I just happened upon your reply and saw that you too will be heading to Alaska in September on Infinity. We don't have an aft cabin...just an ordinary balcony...but we are most assuredly looking forward to this adventure. We had the pleasure of an aft on deck 7 on the Summit to Hawaii and loved it. Hope to see you aboard! Best regards, Susan

Hello gbanshee

Yes, we had Family Oceanview (FOV) cabin 7201 on our Alaska cruise in June, and throughly enjoyed it: the views from the aft are so special, especially the sunrises and sunsets.

Regarding which deck to choose, Sharon is bang on: you want either Deck 7 (Vista Deck) or 8. Deck 9 is right below the open deck dining portion of the grill, and could be quite noisy. For us, Deck 7 was just above the two penthouse suites on Infinity, and, at least on our cruise, the people who were using those suites were pretty quiet. In fact, they weren't really out on their balconies too much at all. This may not be the case if the weather is warmer than it was for us in June

If you have any susceptibility to seasickness, I would try to get as low a deck as possible, as the water in Alaska can be slightly rough at times, when you have the mainland on one side of the ship, and the Pacific Ocean on the other. All our sea days were like this.

And for sure, if you can get it, get an outside FOV cabin (e.g., 7202 or 7199, as Sharon also alluded to)! These overhang the side of the ship, and make your views even better. Our cabin 7201 was an "inside" FOV, but the views are still very good.

Good Luck!

RCQ

If you would like an Aft/Port FOV, then I would highly recommend 7199. My family cruised aboard Infinity, through the Panama Canal in March, and I was able to get 7199 for my parents. It is huge, more than 300 square feet inside and out, and you get great aft and port views. We spent a lot of time together on that balcony. It's also a wonderful place to invite all of your new Cruise Critic friends to visit. Plenty of room, even if you had more than 20 people visit at one time.

Bob

If you would like an Aft/Port FOV, then I would highly recommend 7199. My family cruised aboard Infinity, through the Panama Canal in March, and I was able to get 7199 for my parents. It is huge, more than 300 square feet inside and out, and you get great aft and port views. We spent a lot of time together on that balcony. It's also a wonderful place to invite all of your new Cruise Critic friends to visit. Plenty of room, even if you had more than 20 people visit at one time.

Bob

It's even better -- almost 500 sq. ft. total:D Same as 7202!

Ok, just cruised to Alaska 6/3/07 on Infinity in FV 8168 Aft. Now, while I LOVED the larger balcony, that was wonderful. A large table and 2 chase lounges.. It was fun looking down at some of our fellow cruise critic neighbors down on deck 7. They had a corner FV, That would be much better, but I don't know that I would do that again. AFT was a bit noisy because of the engines. A bit rockier, And Honestly, While I loved the big balcony, unless I was sitting or standing at the balcony, I missed what we were passing on the sides.All you can see mostly is the ocean out back, and I didn't even know there was land on either side of us sometimes because you couldn't see it from where we sat at the back of our veranda.

Last year DH and I had a CC Veranda mid ship on Infinity again and we sat out on the Veranda so much on inside passage and watched the beautiful scenery go by. Looking out back this time, it was very nice, but when I got up and looked to the sides I saw I was missing so much pretty scenery. I have to say, when I go again which I hope will be in another couple years, I will book on the sides again, and NOT the back. It was fun, it was big, I am so glad I did it. We could have put 4 chase lounges back there, besides the table. It was beautiful to watch the sunset, but when we were in a storm at sea with VERY large waves, it does Rock and roll a lot back there, and I longed for mid ship.

Enjoy it, and have a great time. We really did love the space, but I would go back to small balcony, for the view for us. And the quieter room. AT times it did get loud back there.

Archived