BOB Underwater Excursion in ST. Thomas

My husband and I will be doing the BOB adventure when we're in St. Thomas in October. From what I understand, you're taken out on a yacht and while you're not on the BOB, you can snorkle, sunbath or go for a swim off the boat.

We did the "Planet Aqua" tour the last time we were in St. Thomas. For that, you're only really underwater for about 20/30 minutes, but it was such a unique experience. Afterward, we walked around the aquarium and got some food. That was our favorite part of the entire cruise. I'm hoping BOB is more of the same.

If you do a google search on "Breathing Observation Bubble" you can find some more information and pictures on it. Have yet to come across a bad review of the experience.

Ok.. sounds like it might be worth it from what I read. Does anyone know if they have this excursion in St. John? I really wanted to see St. John while we are docked in St. Thomas, but I am afraid that we wont have time if we do both the BOB in St. Thomas and try to go to St. John. ~Holly

• 2 months later...

:) Hello, we just got back from our RCCL cruise and my husband did the BOB excursion and said it was SUPER. He would gradly do it again if given the chance. The diver even took about 6-7 pictures of him riding the scooter. They only take 6-7 down at a time I guess but everyone really enjoyed it.

I do have a favor to ask-for anyone that has either already been on the BOB excursion this year in St. Thomas or plans on doing it very shortly. After the excursion, my husband wanted to purchase a T-shirt, but forgot his wallet back on the ship and thus could not purchase a t-shirt. I was wondering if anyone would have the name, phone number or web site address of the guys that do this excursion so we could contact them and see about getting my husband a t-shirt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did try phoneing RCCL and they were no help nor was the other 7 phone numbers everyone kept giving me in the hope the next person would know something- so anyone else help, would be appreciated.

Thank you and Happy Cruising to all...

:D Hello Holly and Becky- thank you guys so much for helping me on this one and for responding so quickly.

Becky thank you for Lauras email address. I'm going to give her a shout and see if she can help me. If not, Holly I will definately give you a call - okay.

Thanks again - Holly you guys will just love BOB, my husband hasn't stopped talking about it yet - smile.

We had a great time on the BOBs! It is such an unique experience. **Just be careful of the medical wavier they have you sign...once you are on their boat. (This was last year, so I am guessing they still do it). Originally they said if you checked yes to anything they would not let you do it. My husband has asthma and checked yes. At first they were not going to let him go under, but after some discussion and he signed that it was his choice... they let him. It also asked about high blood pressure, meds, etc. There are EMTs on board and everyone knows CPR which is great. Honestly though, we found it to be VERY safe. This is definately a "must do", just to say you did it once.

IMHO, it's definitely worth the money. When you aren't in the BOB you can snorkel off the boat or just relax onboard. If you check the details of most excursions, you will find that much of the time involved is used up getting to and from the site and that the activity itself is of limited duration. Just check the beach excursions to Trunk Bay or Magen's Bay and you will find that a good portion of the time is spent in transit. The ultimate test of value is how much you enjoyed the excursion, not the amount of time involved.

DH and I did the BOB tour last year in St Thomas and it was one of the highlites of our trip. You are on the scooter for only about 1/2 hour, but what a 1/2 hour it is! Invest in an underwater camera before you go, the divers that accompanied us took lots of great pictures of us, the tropical fish and the sea turtles that were swimming around us. While others were on their trip, we snorkeled about the ship and were able to watch them scootering about below us.

We are not usually this adventurous and were a bit nervous on the way out, but are sooooo glad we did it!

• 4 weeks later...

If you have the opportunity to BOB then please do! I took my then 13 yr old daughter, we both loved it. BRING an underwater camera or be prepared to buy one on the BOB vessel. The guide will take photos of you, your group etc. with your own camera...If you are VERY large, it might be a tad uncomfortable..i'm 6' 3" and was about 250 lbs then...if you are bigger than that the scooter may start to feel a little small...have fun! nick

Just did the BOB on Saturday. It is definitely worth the money. They took us out by Bird Island about 30 minute ride out. They brief you on how to get in, decompress, operate and get out on the boat. We were on the "Mustang" which was coast guard approved. They take you out in small groups (they try to keep the family and friends in the same group). They give you life jackets to wear. Then they call you in the water. Each Bob has its own certified diver to again instruct and get you decompressed. Then when the entire group is ready you follow a leader out. They will take pictures of you if you have a water camera (they also sell them on board for $20.00). We purchased one and they took several pictures of my daughter and myself separate and together. They also have divers up above watching. You are in the water approx. 30 minutes (20 minutes is more like it). While you are waiting your turn you can sunbathe or snorkel as they have all the equipment. There was also a ship wreck to snorkel too. They provide free drinks (non-alcoholic) and snacks. It was well worth it in my opinion. If you can't scuba than this is the next best thing. Also, the crew was fantastic. They do offer shirts to purchase at the end of the tour. They do have a website online.

The t-shirts are $20.00 they had sleeve less and regular. Really cute with an Iguana riding a BOB (I think they had another style but that was what was shown to us)

What I mean by decompressing is that once you get in the bubble and you start to go down you have to pop your ears or you can blow your ear drums out. They show you several ways to do this and it must be done. I had a hard time popping mine and they kept adjusting the air until finally my ears popped. The guys are all expert divers and are right there with you telling you and showing you what to do. You have to do this several times until you get down to the final depth. My daughter had no problem popping hers. It was a great excursion and I would do it again in a minute.

Archived