Compromised Information on Celebrity Survey?

ChesaPBay

Has anyone had a strange call from a Celebrity customer service rep saying the information you entered on the customer survey has been compromised?

I got a voice mail about this yesterday and called the 888# today. The woman explained that Celebrity had outsourced the customer service survey that is filled out at the end of the trip and the info I entered -- phone number and address -- had been comprised.

Then -- and this is the weird part -- without hesitating, the woman said RCCL/Celebrity was offering me a free year of a credit monitoring service.

Huh? It certainly sounded like a scam. Quite frankly, my name, address and phone number are out their on the Internet so I don't see the big deal in my "information being compromised."

But since when is RCCL/CC in the business of providing credit monitoring? I wrote to Celebrity and have not heard back yet.

If RCCL/CC is behind this and it's not a scam, I will have a much lower opinion of the brand. It's the most bizarre thing I've heard in awhile: "Yes, we're sorry we gave a vendor some of your information, but don't worry, we want to keep you as a customer, so we'll give you free credit monitoring." So RCCL/CC can monitor its own vendors? Amazing.

I agree that having your telephone/address "out there" is no big deal. Any online telephone book has that, if one chooses to be listed.

As for X/RCL being in the credit monitoring business--I doubt it. Probably, because of the "compromised" info, they are going to pay for an established credit-monitoring service on your behalf.

I'm guessing that some surveys or their computer data files containing survey info, was stolen or something, causing a breach of privacy laws. Remember when a couple of companies in recent months made the news because of stolen customer database info? Those companies also did what X/RCL has offered--to pay for credit monitoring on those customers whose personal info was on those stolen files. If so, then I think it's admirable that X/RCL would take that step.

Just my 2 cents' worth--I could be completely wrong.

ChesaPBay - We got a letter about a two months ago from RCL/Celebrity about the breach. It is authentic there was a rather large thread on RCL forum about it. I am sure the information was from the cruise we were on together. Send me an e-mail if you want more information.

The chances of any problem are slim but take advantage of the free credit monitoring service. You log on to the credit bureau and put in their code that RCL gives you. You get one year free access to all three credit bureaus credit reports as well as your credit score.

You can also set up a free alert that you be notified if anyone tries to open a loan or credit card with your credentials.

I signed up for it - Iain didn't.

Jim

I am retired from a large aerospace manufacturing company, and a few months ago some of my personal data was contained in a lost computer. The company contracted with Experion Credit Rating co. to provide me with three years of free monitoring of my credit data, to assure that if the lost or stolen data was used for fraud or identity theft that I would have timely notification and assistance in correcting the condition.

petert

Has anyone had a strange call from a Celebrity customer service rep saying the information you entered on the customer survey has been compromised?

I got a voice mail about this yesterday and called the 888# today. The woman explained that Celebrity had outsourced the customer service survey that is filled out at the end of the trip and the info I entered -- phone number and address -- had been comprised.

Then -- and this is the weird part -- without hesitating, the woman said RCCL/Celebrity was offering me a free year of a credit monitoring service.

Huh? It certainly sounded like a scam. Quite frankly, my name, address and phone number are out their on the Internet so I don't see the big deal in my "information being compromised."

But since when is RCCL/CC in the business of providing credit monitoring? I wrote to Celebrity and have not heard back yet.

If RCCL/CC is behind this and it's not a scam, I will have a much lower opinion of the brand. It's the most bizarre thing I've heard in awhile: "Yes, we're sorry we gave a vendor some of your information, but don't worry, we want to keep you as a customer, so we'll give you free credit monitoring." So RCCL/CC can monitor its own vendors? Amazing.

Why would you have a lower opinion of the brand, they are trying to help you out. They will not be monitoring your credit you will. I think you misunderstood what they where telling you.

Someone could use your information to open a credit card or something else. this is to help you. It is not that Royal Caribbean is moniter you or their vendors.

I appreciate all the responses and yes, rcicruiser, I apparently misunderstood the message. Mea culpa. I feel better knowing others were contacted because I am skeptical of calls that come out of the blue. (The cruise we were on was in February).

It makes more sense now that I hear free credit monitoring is what others have offered customers whose info was compromised.

I find it hard to believe -- maybe I'm in denial -- that someone could open an account with my name, address, and phone number. But according to the RCCL/CC rep that's the only personal info on the customer survey form. Nor would I ever provide any other personal info.

Learning this is legitimate is a good thing. I've always enjoyed Celebrity and want to continue traveling with them.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Archived