shore excursions western Carribbean

Hi, we are going on CarnivalCruise the Legend at the end of July. We have 3 boys aged 16,14 and 11.

I wanted some reviews on the following excursions that we plan to do. I am planning to not book with the ship and do it on my own. The following is the tours I am booking. I wanted some feedback if anyone has done any of these and what there experience was.

1. Cozumel - Royal swim (I am booking with the Chankanaab National Park)

2. Belize - Cave Tubing with Vitalino (www.cavetubing.bz)

3. Grand Cayman- Snorkeling with the stingrays with Mark from Moby Dick Tours

4. Costa Maya- visit the Chacchoben Ruins with www.thenativechoice.com for half a day and then spend a little time on the beach.

That's it! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

Maria

Just got back 2 days ago from your future trip. Loved it and I'm a first timer. We did Stingrays in GC but with Captain Bryon. I don't think it matters because we all end up at the same place...the Stingrays. I don't know if it was just the day we went there (last Tuesday) or what but there were some big waves...enough to knock you off your feet, try to get your footing without stepping on a stingray. Then in Cozumel we went to Nachi Cocum Beach and loved it. Belize just shopped and Costa Maya we shopped and swam in a big saltwater pool in the middle of their shopping area. Belize and Costa Maya were interesting since they both had fenced in areas with a security guard standing there and then the natives also standing there (but weren't allowed to cross in) I guess wanting to get your business. I was happy staying inside the area to shop as we were tired from the first 2 excursions. Maybe someone else can help you with your other questions.

Maria

FYI, I booked our dolphin royal swim myself and we got a significantly better deal by booking directly with the park. I did it all through the web-site, dolphindiscovery.com. It was one of the best excursions we ever did.

-Ted.

Maria,

We did the same trip, but on the Miracle...

We did cave tubing with Coral Breeze... a "must do" excursion!

Like campingfamily We also did Capt Bryon in CG and had a GREAT time!

David at The Native Choice was very informative and personable.

We have not yet done the Dolphins, that's our plan in January.

It will be very hot at the ruins (it was in Nov). I'm glad I did it... But will not go again.

Cave tubing and Stingray City I would do again in a heart beat!!!

Have FUN!

Hi, we are going on CarnivalCruise the Legend at the end of July. We have 3 boys aged 16,14 and 11.

I wanted some reviews on the following excursions that we plan to do. I am planning to not book with the ship and do it on my own. The following is the tours I am booking. I wanted some feedback if anyone has done any of these and what there experience was.

2. Belize - Cave Tubing with Vitalino (www.cavetubing.bz)

3. Grand Cayman- Snorkeling with the stingrays with Mark from Moby Dick Tours

4. Costa Maya- visit the Chacchoben Ruins with www.thenativechoice.com for half a day and then spend a little time on the beach.

Maria

Chacchoben is a really nice introduction to the Mayan culture. I really enjoyed it. Since it's only a half day excursion, you'll have time to take a cab to Majahual for some beach time.

If you want another and better (IMO) Mayan site, in Belize go to Xunantunich.

A trip to Cayman isn't complete without the stingrays! I've used Mark and Moby Dick 3 or 4 times. They're all fantastic!

If you love the stingrays, I suggest the Shark/Ray alley in Belize. Probably my favorite water excursion to date. The coral gardens are great, the island of Caye Caulker is beautiful and the Sharks and Rays are the highlight! You don't have to tell your friends they are nurse sharks. Just say you swam with sharks LOL

Your choices look pretty good to me except the cave tubing. I've wanted to try it for years, but everything I read says the water's cold, and I just can't stand cold water. My skin is really sensatove to cold water.

I suggest going with Green Wood Adventures in Belize for cave tubing. Major Tom is and his boys are awesome. You can get to them at belizecavetubing (dot) net

We were late getting off the ship and someone stayed behind to drive us, we caught up to the group and did our tubing, which was very cool, your boys will love it, and we were back on the ship for lunch. They only charge $45 and the ship charges $95

The water isn't that cold. I am a wuss when it comes to cold and it was fine.

Also, you may want to rethink the Ruins in Costa Maya. It is a long hot day. In Costa Maya there is a pool and bar right at the port which is like an MTV spring break party. If you want a beach, take a taxi to downtown it is $2 -3 pp and go to Ricardo's. He has a resturant on the beach, with wonderful food, cheap drinks, Get the coco loco, all the water is purified, and there are massage tents for 1 hour massages for $20. It was a wonderful time.

The boys can rent Kayaks, jetski's, go snorkling or just hang out and relax.

The Legend is a wonderful ship. Enjoy

Anyone know which cave tubing is the one with the bats in the cave and the one that is very safe for kids.....and they give you headlamps to wear......is it the belizecavetubing (dot) net or cave-tubing (dot) com?

I think the water temperature may have to do with a few things...like what time of year you're going, what the air temp is and how long ago it's rained.

Just a word of caution. I have read atleast one review on here about people going cave tubing, the water being high and them being knocked off the tubes (due to low clearance under the caves) and it being very scary and dangerous. I'll go back and look for the post, but it's been a while ago (I'm thinking it was late '05). If I can't find it/them, please just keep in mind it's a possibility.

Anyone know which cave tubing is the one with the bats in the cave and the one that is very safe for kids.....and they give you headlamps to wear......is it the belizecavetubing (dot) net or cave-tubing (dot) com?

When we took our four children in March ages 9, 11, 13 and 16 and we went with cavetubing.com. Our family of 6 had one guide assigned to us. All of us had the headlamps. The guide even linked us all togther and he did all the paddling, we just sat back and enjoyed the ride. Although I didn't see any actual bats there was evidence that they were there. I would highly recommend this tour operator. Our children had a blast.

I think the water temperature may have to do with a few things...like what time of year you're going, what the air temp is and how long ago it's rained.

Just a word of caution. I have read numerous reviews on here about people going cave tubing, the water being high and them being knocked off the tubes (due to low clearance under the caves) and it being very scary and dangerous. I'll go back and look for the posts, but it's been a while ago. If I can't find them, please just keep in mind it's a possibility.

I 2nd this warning.... we did not do the cavetubing thing in Belize, we opted for the beach day on Caye Caulker but others that did go cavetubing were knocked off their tubes and swept down river and separated. I was so glad we had decided against it. Just be careful. They should not let you enter the river if the water is too high.

Have fun!

We did cave tubing with Yhonni (sp?) with cavetubing (dot) com. Had a GREAT time. My 7yo daughter loved it. They do link you together and help you along. The group gets to opt for one cave or two -- we did two caves, and yes, there were bats, but nothing to worry about (and I hate any kind of critters!) Others who went on the carnival excursion had to manage the river on their own - carnival places some guides sporadically along the river who are there to help if needed, but what happens if you need help and there's no guide??? Our guides actually had to stop to help some of them out once or twice! HIGHLY recommend this trip. If you go, one thing not to forget: BUG SPRAY

Also don't miss Stingray City in Grand Cayman. My girls were a little squeamish at first when the stingrays brushed by their legs, but by the end of the trip, were reaching out to touch them.

Hello:

New poster here and sailing this sunday with 8 year old daughter. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best port at which to dolphin swim. I see Cozumel above. We were planning on the swim at Costa Maya, but I've read a comment where that location could be questionable.

Also, DW is squeemish of the stingrays so no go their in Cayman. What the next best option on Cayman?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

My daughter did swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel....not on a cruise though...it was at a major park area if that helps. It was EXCELLENT!! I got to stand on a ledge right next to her and watch.....(i'm afraid of fish...no laughing! lol). Anyhow, we have a video of it and she is thrown through the air by the dolphin, rides the dolphin etc. Everyone in the group gets to do everything. She says its an experience she will never forget.

Hello:

New poster here and sailing this sunday with 8 year old daughter. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best port at which to dolphin swim. I see Cozumel above. We were planning on the swim at Costa Maya, but I've read a comment where that location could be questionable.

Also, DW is squeemish of the stingrays so no go their in Cayman. What the next best option on Cayman?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Rum Point Beach. Hop a cab, it's kid friendly and beautiful. Pictures in my signature below.

I second Rum Point Beach. We'll very likely be going back on our Legend cruise this coming October. RPB is beautiful...it looks like something out of a postcard. I'm not sure how the snorkeling is there, but the water is clear and shallow for quite a few yards out into the ocean. Cab fare out there can be very pricy though, you may want to rent a car.

Just got back 2 days ago from your future trip. Loved it and I'm a first timer. We did Stingrays in GC but with Captain Bryon. I don't think it matters because we all end up at the same place...the Stingrays. I don't know if it was just the day we went there (last Tuesday) or what but there were some big waves...enough to knock you off your feet, try to get your footing without stepping on a stingray. Then in Cozumel we went to Nachi Cocum Beach and loved it. Belize just shopped and Costa Maya we shopped and swam in a big saltwater pool in the middle of their shopping area. Belize and Costa Maya were interesting since they both had fenced in areas with a security guard standing there and then the natives also standing there (but weren't allowed to cross in) I guess wanting to get your business. I was happy staying inside the area to shop as we were tired from the first 2 excursions. Maybe someone else can help you with your other questions.

Thanks for your advise.

How did you book the stingray excursion with Captin Byron? Do you have an e-mail address or web site so I can contact them?

Thanks so much!!!

Maria,

We did the same trip, but on the Miracle...

We did cave tubing with Coral Breeze... a "must do" excursion!

Like campingfamily We also did Capt Bryon in CG and had a GREAT time!

David at The Native Choice was very informative and personable.

We have not yet done the Dolphins, that's our plan in January.

It will be very hot at the ruins (it was in Nov). I'm glad I did it... But will not go again.

Cave tubing and Stingray City I would do again in a heart beat!!!

Have FUN!

Thanks for the respose! I am learning to use cuise critic!!!

My questions are: do you have contact e-mail or websites of both

Coral Breeze for the cave tubbing and Captain Byron for the stingrays? It would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Maria

When we took our four children in March ages 9, 11, 13 and 16 and we went with cavetubing.com. Our family of 6 had one guide assigned to us. All of us had the headlamps. The guide even linked us all togther and he did all the paddling, we just sat back and enjoyed the ride. Although I didn't see any actual bats there was evidence that they were there. I would highly recommend this tour operator. Our children had a blast.

Hi Thanks for your response. Do you remember the names of your guide?

Thanks,

Maria

I 2nd this warning.... we did not do the cavetubing thing in Belize, we opted for the beach day on Caye Caulker but others that did go cavetubing were knocked off their tubes and swept down river and separated. I was so glad we had decided against it. Just be careful. They should not let you enter the river if the water is too high.

Have fun!

Thanks for your word of caution! Can you tell me when you went on the your cruise and that others told you the wated was very high at the cave tubing. We are going at the end of July.

Thanks,

Maria

We did cave tubing with Yhonni (sp?) with cavetubing (dot) com. Had a GREAT time. My 7yo daughter loved it. They do link you together and help you along. The group gets to opt for one cave or two -- we did two caves, and yes, there were bats, but nothing to worry about (and I hate any kind of critters!) Others who went on the carnival excursion had to manage the river on their own - carnival places some guides sporadically along the river who are there to help if needed, but what happens if you need help and there's no guide??? Our guides actually had to stop to help some of them out once or twice! HIGHLY recommend this trip. If you go, one thing not to forget: BUG SPRAY

Also don't miss Stingray City in Grand Cayman. My girls were a little squeamish at first when the stingrays brushed by their legs, but by the end of the trip, were reaching out to touch them.

Thanks for sharing who you used for your cave tubing.

Can you let me know who you used forthe stingray excursion?

there website or e-mail would be great.

Thanks,.

Maria

Archived