For anyone..

AllyCat81

...who has cruised to Key West. What did you do the day you were there?

I know I could post this on the Key West board, but not many people post over there. So I figured I would try to get some imput from you guys :D

Has anyone done the Margaritville tour? Is it worth it?

Any ideas would be helpful :)

DH and I were just there in May. We did the Trolley Tour and it was very interesting and would recommend it. We then shopped at Little Switzerland and had Mojitos at a bar near the pier. It was pouring intermittently that day, so not a great beach day. This was our third trip to Key West and we have never been very impressed. We live in Florida and can go there easily, but never do. I think we prefer the foreign ports. KW has become the t-shirt capital of the world I think.

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

I know I could post this on the Key West board, but not many people post over there. So I figured I would try to get some imput from you guys :D

Went to Hemingways House, lunch & drinks @ Sloppy Joes. Just walked up & down Duval Street and shopped. Note: Margaritaville in KW is NOT worth stopping at . It is just a little tiny place. No pool or anything like that.

JMHO. :)

This will probably get moved to the KW board anyway, but hopefully you will get plenty of responses before it is moved :D

We took a cab to the southernmost point early in the morning before throngs of other tourists arrived and took some pictures. Walked over to Duval Beach Club (one block east) and we were going to hang out there, but it looked like storms may move in off of the water, so we gave up on that idea. Go figure, the storms stayed off shore :)

We then wandered up Duval Street. Shops were not open as it was only about 8:30, but we enjoyed the peace and quiet. We got to Hemingway's house at about 9am as they were opening up. Took the tour there (very interesting, might I add). Wandered around the property for a bit and then headed back to Duval where there were finally signs of life.

Tried the key lime pie at Blonde Giraffe and it was some of the best I'd ever had.

We then shopped the rest of the day up Duval Street until we arrived back to the trolley to take us back to the pier. It was a relaxing day and we were able to take it at our own pace.

We did stop by Margaritaville but decided not to go in because there was nothing special about it...it was like any other bar around.

Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy!

We have stopped their several times. One time we did a snorkeling trip, but it wasn't very good, save that for the Caribbean. We've done the Trolley Tour twice, and it was fun. Several of my friends have gone to the Butterfly Farm and found it very interesting, we'll do that next time.

If you do the Trolley Tour and get off at a few places along the way and explore a little, it would take you the whole day. BTW, there is a great little ice cream shop at the stop for the most southern point in the U.S.

We decided to wander on our own. We ended up going to the Butterfly conservatory which was nice but I'm not sure I would pay to go back there. We wandered up and down Duval street. DD wants to go to the aquarium when we go back in August but DH wants to rent jet skis. Either way, we really liked that port and are looking forward to going back.

we went to Keno shoe shop, bought some hand made sandals, then went to the Hogs Breath Saloon, and then to Mallory square to watch the sunset and some of the street performers...... walked around and looked at the shops, then back to the ship. we would enjoy going back to KW some time......

We had a blast! We're from Florida, too, but every time I go to Key West it's fun. We wandered up and down Duval (HOT!) from the southernmost point to Mallory Square. Ate at a place upstairs that had the best conch chowder and New England clam chowder ever! Can't remember the name--a lady was on the sidewalk trying to get diners in. Well worth it.

We also got a pair of flamingo carvings about 3 ft. high in beautiful colors and very inexpensive in one of the many shops on Duval. Had the obligatory drink at Sloppy Joe's. (Saw Ebert there once, singing and playing the guitar--thumbs DOWN!) I have been to Hemingway's house in past and enjoyed that. I still want to go to Mel Fisher's with the treasures of the Atocha. At Mallory dock was the Disney ship. When they were about a half hour from departure they blew the ship horn with the Disney tune which was very funny!

I wish the ships stayed until after the Sunset because the sight at Mallory Square is better than any show at any port you will ever go to.

First we went to the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum (where the treasures from the Atocha are) ... fabulous !!! and then we toured their jewelry shop ... bought some great bling!! My Atchoa gold coin bracelet hasn't been off my arm since. And then we did the Trolley tour -- it was a GREAT expenditure of time; got some super pictures and learned a great deal about what we were seeing. Then we poked around the square where we were docked. What fun! All in all it was a wonderful day!!

Any day I get gold jewelry is a wonderful day!!:D

(PS: I think I read somewhere on this board that it's illegal to block the view of the sunset which is why the ships have to leave when they do.)

Key West ranks right down there with Nassau as my least favorite port. You can shop, eat and drink there -- that's about it. The beaches aren't very good, the 'Southernmost Point', of course, now only applies to the 'Continental U.S.', the government wants the Hemingway House to cage up the 6-toed cats, and if you confuse the Conch Train for the Trolley, you can't get off and back on again (thankfully, I got it right, but I still spend more time walking than riding).

If I'm in Key West again, I'll either take a snorkel trip (even though the snorkeling is better, I understand, throughout the Caribbean), or take a cab to next-door Stock Island and eat a fish sandwich at the Hogfish Bar. Then I'll stop at the sponge market at Mallory Square, which is my favorite shop there, and get back on the ship.

Make a "B" line for the Coach outlet - then go for a pint at Irish Kevin's

Make a "B" line for the Coach outlet - then go for a pint at Irish Kevin's

Haven't been to Key West lately but anytime I go anywhere that has a Coach outlet that is always my first stop. The best one I have found is at the outlet mall in Pidgeon Forge, TN.

We stopped for a cup of coffee at the foot of Duval Street. Walked up to the Butterfly Conservancy. Continued on to the Southernmost point for a picture. From there we headed back down Duval and stopped for a frozen key lime pie dipped in chocolate on a stick from the Blonde Giraffe (to die for).

We continued on to Peppers of Key West which sells dozens of varieties of hot sauces. We got a personal taste sampling from the owner before a group of "paying" tourists came in with a group. From there we walked over to the water front and bought some conch fritters to go since it was time to head back to the ship.

Oh, and we stopped in front of a real estate office and looked at all the property for sale and the unbelievable asking prices....location, location, location says it all.

No one else replied to your question about the Margaritaville tour -- I assume you mean the Trails of Margaritaville Walking Tour (as opposed to just visiting Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville). If you are a Buffett fan, the tour is well worth while. I took this tour last November (I wasn't on a cruise but was in Key West) and would take it again. They take you to places where Jimmy lived or played in Key West or places mentioned in his songs and tell you the stories and/or myths about them.

I also did the Conch Train and it was a real highlight of my time there.

I've never cruised to KW, but I've been there twice. The first time I did the trolley. It was interesting and informative, but for me, walking around is just as easy. I really enjoyed Mallory Square and bar/shop hopping on Duval St. The second time I was there, I just walked around mostly on Duval St and Mallory Square. It happened to be St. Patrick's Day when I was there, so it was very lively. Margaritas were my drink of choice, esp. the key lime margaritas. I hope you have fun! :)

A few years ago we were in Key West. Just loved it. We did the trolley which was a nice way to see the whole island. Then went to lunch at Planet Hollywood. After that we went shopping. Key West is my favorite place to visit. :)

Archived