City of L.A. ?

Bases5

We will be getting into Lax around noon the day before our cruise.(if flights go as planed) We were contemplating renting a car to check out some of the sights. Hollywood Blvd the Hollywood sign, maybe Beverly hills Rodeo drive. Not to spend time there. (just to say you have been there) It will be a Friday. Is this feasible, Is there any web sites with what to do or any recommendation from you folks. I also don't want to get to any dangers areas.

Any Ideas or should we just go to the hotel and stay put. Also is there car return at or near San Pedro pier?

The only car rental agency in San Pedro near the pier is Enterprise. They close at 12 noon on Saturday, but I noticed that some mentioned you can may drop-off arrangements with a nearby hotel (Crown Plaza) so you may want to check that out.

I suspect Curt Jerome will be along to recommend sights to see in LA. Friday afternoon traffic is horrendeous though, so avoid the freeways until after 7:30PM or so if you can.

We will be getting into Lax around noon the day before our cruise.(if flights go as planed) We were contemplating renting a car to check out some of the sights. Hollywood Blvd the Hollywood sign, maybe Beverly hills Rodeo drive. Not to spend time there. (just to say you have been there) It will be a Friday. Is this feasible, Is there any web sites with what to do or any recommendation from you folks. I also don't want to get to any dangers areas.

Any Ideas or should we just go to the hotel and stay put. Also is there car return at or near San Pedro pier?

And I'm here! (Thanks Splinter!)

It's absolutely feasible given your time frame, and I'd do something, and not just stick at your hotel...

So, in the meantime, just first up, here are a bunch of driving tours and directions to the most upclose place possible for the Hollywood sign...

Just click on all of the thread links, and let me know if you have any more questions...

Hollywood Sign

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=404640

LA/Hollywood Driving Tour

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511653

Film TV Location and Sightseeing tour between San Pedro and LAX area

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

Finally film locations and things in San Pedro area

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

I hope that this helps...

Let me know if this does, or if you have any more questions...

CJW:D

From a Native Southern Californian...

WOW!!! I am VERY impressed with the web sites you listed and the suggested drive you put together for Bases5. I've seen all of it, but never with a "guide" or all of the info about the various locations. WELL DONE!!!

I would just like to add my 2 cents. Given their time line...leaving San Pedro at 12 and with nightmare Friday afternoon traffic....I might do the part of the trip up to and including coming back down Sunset Blvd. to the ocean (and I always love to take a couple of side streets off of Sunset to look at the beautiful homes) and turning left to Santa Monica. Since they would then probably be prime traffic time, I would consider stopping in Santa Monica for dinner...somewhere with a beach view...Perhaps walk out on the Santa Monica Pier or along the beach top bluff...The kids might like the Promenade and you can get "quick food" there to save a bit of time...and then after 7-7:30 continue with your suggested drive for OC locations. If it's daylight savings time, it should stay light long enough to see the areas you've mentioned.

Have fun! You have to drive a little, but LA has some great sights and Curt Jerome just made them a lot more interesting!

murphysmum;)

• 2 weeks later...

I request info. I'm visiting San Deigo prior to leaving om the Carnival Pride on the July 22nd, the plan is to take the train to Long Beach however on Sundays the train drops me in LA and then will bus me to Long Beach and the bus trip is over an hour long and the schedule which gets to Long Beach requires a 6 AM San Deigo departure. If I take the next train to LA the bus portion of the trip leaves no room for error. Are there quicker options from LA to Long Beach ship terminal than the bus which wouldn't be a budget buster?

Any information is appreciated.

I'll be spending a few days post cruise in LA and appreciate Curt Jerome Wild's post.

Archived