Train in Skagway

Mags65

My Dh and I would love to take the Yukon train trip in Skagway independantly, as it is not offered by our cruise. But I am worried about timing- our ship is due in at 7:00, and the train trip starts at 7:30. I have read it is a short walk to the train depot; will we have enough time to disembark, get there, get our tickets, etc?

Are you referring to the roundtrip train to the White Pass Summit, the rail/bus trip to the Yukon, or the train to Carcross with bus return? We were on the 7-hour rail/bus excursion to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters a few weeks ago and had a great time: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/yukonrail.htm Our ship was scheduled to arrive at 7 a.m., but it was in Juneau the day before, so the ship actually arrived long before 7. We had no problem getting off the ship shortly after 7 and meeting our guide, who drove us to the train station. The train to Fraser, BC doesn't actually leave the station until 8:00. If you meant the train to Carcross - that excursion is also done independently by Chilkoot Charters. That train leaves for Carcross at 7:45 a.m.

Thanks, Nancy! We are on the same tour that you did, booked through Chilkoot! Thanks for the info ; that eases my mind. We are also in Juneau the day before, so sounds like we shouldn't have a problem. Did you make special arrangements to have someone meet you at the dock, or is that part of their service? Anything special you recommend bringing or doing?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

If you have a confirmation from Chilkoot Charters, it should tell you where to meet - which is at the end of the dock, just outside of the security area. They will be holding a sign that says "Chilkoot Charters" and looking for you! Bring your hat and gloves if you intend to spend any time standing on the outside platform between the train cars, as it gets chilly out there. Make sure you have lots of film or memory cards and batteries - the views are gorgeous! Hope you'll have a GREAT time!

nancy was our bus driver and guide we really enjoyed her. our bus had 11 very comfortable.

we really enjoyed the whole trip up on the train and further and back by bus (small type).

good lunch as well everyone else had left but us 11. hot doughnuts:D

picked up at dock

dropped off where ever we liked

I am booked on the Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion with Chilkoot Charters in August. My confirmation email says they will pick me up on the dock at 7:30. They know the Pearl is scheduled to dock at 7:00 and have assured me that there will be no problem. I can't help but stress a little about the timing situation. However, they have told me that if I get left behind, they will hook me up with the tour some other way. That's not much comfort, but better than none.

Archived