Question re: Anytime dining

mjmalino

Ok, we just took our first cruise, Coral to Alaska, and I thought that if you had traditional dining you were not permitted to eat in the Anytime dining room, "just one night" because you missed your seating, or whatever; just as if you have Anytime dining you cannot just go to the traditional dining room for dinner. On our cruise, there were at least 2 nights that I noticed parties in front of us going to the maitre 'd and telling them that they had traditional dining and missed their time, etc, and wanted to eat in the anytime restaurant. Both times they were allowed. Even though there were others waiting to be seated, and eventually a waitlist formed. In fact, one of the parties that came down from the traditional dining room was a party of 6 or 8. My question is, is this customary? Especially when, as the maitre'd informed them that there were twice as many people assigned to anytime as there were to traditional?

Ok, we just took our first cruise, Coral to Alaska, and I thought that if you had traditional dining you were not permitted to eat in the Anytime dining room, "just one night" because you missed your seating, or whatever; just as if you have Anytime dining you cannot just go to the traditional dining room for dinner. On our cruise, there were at least 2 nights that I noticed parties in front of us going to the maitre 'd and telling them that they had traditional dining and missed their time, etc, and wanted to eat in the anytime restaurant. Both times they were allowed. Even though there were others waiting to be seated, and eventually a waitlist formed. In fact, one of the parties that came down from the traditional dining room was a party of 6 or 8. My question is, is this customary? Especially when, as the maitre'd informed them that there were twice as many people assigned to anytime as there were to traditional?

Interesting, because we also were on the Coral from Alaska (6/11 - 6/18) and saw Traditional Dining people turned away from the Anytime Dining room after being asked for their cruise cards!:confused:

I would imagine that in certain cases this would be allowed.. Sometimes people with early sitting do not return from scheduled tours in time to clean up and go to dinner.. The Head Waiter's and Maitre D' have the flexibility to make these kinds of decisions. I have seen it both ways; some get in, others are turned away.

I would imagine that in certain cases this would be allowed.. Sometimes people with early sitting do not return from scheduled tours in time to clean up and go to dinner.. The Head Waiter's and Maitre D' have the flexibility to make these kinds of decisions. I have seen it both ways; some get in, others are turned away.

I don't see why it should be allowed in any case you have one or the other, if your late back to the ship go to the buffet. This is what causes the delay in the anytime dining for those of us that prefer it.

Think it depends on the Maitre 'D. I agree, if you're in anytime, go to that. Traditional, stick with it. If you were on another ship with all traditional dining and you missed your time, it would be room service, or buffet. I know that sounds hardline, but I don't want to have to stand in line to accomodate people who had a dining time and missed it. Super emergancies excepted.

when we sailed the CB we only dined once in the dining room-- we had anytime dining. When we went in-- we were asked how many. Not one time were we asked for our cards. How do they know what dining we have.? Could you not say you left the cards in the cabin?

I too would hope they would have the flexibility to do this for unusual circumstances. They are there to help afterall. What I hope cruisers remember is that if youre booked for traditional, you still dont get to use anytime as an option. Afterall, those who have anytime do not get to "try" traditional as an option.

I don't see why it should be allowed in any case you have one or the other, if your late back to the ship go to the buffet. This is what causes the delay in the anytime dining for those of us that prefer it.

The possibility of missing a set dinner time is (among other reasons) why we book LATE traditional, especially on our European voyages.

Sometimes people with early sitting do not return from scheduled tours in time to clean up and go to dinner..
Well then that is their problem and just maybe they should choose late seating and plan accordingly.

Interesting, because we also were on the Coral from Alaska (6/11 - 6/18) and saw Traditional Dining people turned away from the Anytime Dining room after being asked for their cruise cards!:confused:

i guess it prevents double booking?

My first experience with Anytime was on Grand in April. I was never asked to show my card at either dining room.

I don't see a problem if someone from Traditional might is accomodated, if there's no wait time.

Having taken a few cruises on Princess, my experience is they let traditional diners in the anytime dining areas, but not always. I would suspect it depends upon the day of the cruise (for instance, on the first day they would turn them away), a particular port day (some ports always have very late tours), the number of diners in the area, and perhaps the elite or suite status of the cruiser. I have seen the case of a traditional diner knowing they would be late and making arrangements ahead of time to be allowed in the anytime dining area. They want to keep the passengers as happy as possible.

However, I also think traditional diners who miss their dining time should get the very last preference for seating for anytime dining. If the dining area is not crowded, then seat them. If it is, then send them to the buffet.

Remember, you can frequently change your dining status at any time on a Princess cruise, so if you don't like traditional, just change to anytime.

Grab a slice or a piece of fruit, and then hit anytime dining during off peak hours! :p I'm sure DW and I will be testing the waters, but I am also certain that I will NOT be upset if we are turned away. Heck, we're on a cruise!!

Hit the buffet if we need to, no big deal. Roll with the flow of the vacation wave machine, get wet and not upset! :D

As for showing cards for the dining room, we were asked the first couple nights until the maitre'd recognized us, then after that we did not need them anymore. Those whom I saw seated in anytime had a conversation with our maitre'd regarding their dining arrangements, although I am not sure if they actually showed them the card. My asking was only for information as I have only sailed one cruise, and am not sure what is/is not customary. Thanks for the input.

One of the biggest complaints about anytime dining is the wait! When people from traditional also want to eat in the anytime dining room, that just causes extra people to have to wait. I don't think you should be able to have it both ways! If you miss your dining time, eat in the Horizon Court or choose anytime to begin with.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Remember, you can frequently change your dining status at any time on a Princess cruise, so if you don't like traditional, just change to anytime.

Good to know! I was starting to worry about having the early seating and wondering if I should change it. It'll probably see how it goes the first couple of nights, then reevaluate!

Archived