Brilliance vs Celebrity

Hello everyone! Sorry to ask the question that has probably been asked a zillion times, so thanks for indulging me. We have sailed on Celebrity 5 times (Millie, Infinity, Century, Galaxy) and loved them. How does Brilliance compare? For example, my family loves the ice cream on X and I'm partial to the spa buffet. The staff has always gone overboard (no pun intended) to take care of us. Will we be happy on Brilliance? Don't know if it matters, but it will be a European itinerary. (PS-we usually sail in oceanview or balcony).

Thanks in advance for your help!

I loved the Brilliance, the staff was amazing and went out of their way to make us feel special. The ship is gorgeous with glass everywhere, even a glass elevator that looks out to the ocean. The solarium is amazing. The food was wonderful and the buffet was delicious. The had a free soft ice cream machine in the Windjammer. Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the ship.

I just spent last month on Brilliance and have sailed on X Infinity and Summit for a total of 24 days. IMO, Brilliance and X's Millenium class ships are very similar, but if you look at it purely from a ship perspective, I prefer M class - mostly because of the Aquaspa.

The only ice cream readily and consistently available on Brilliance is the soft serve in the WJ.

However, when you take into account other factors, I strongly recommend Brilliance. She's a beautiful ship in good shape. I found the crew and service to be the best I've experienced on RCI. Barcelona as a departure port is very convenient and hassle free, and Brilliance's itineraries are varied and comprehensive but intensive.

I found I was so busy in port, with only 3 sea days on a 12 night cruise, that I did not miss some of the features and extras I've come to expect.

We have been on Brilliance 3 times, including the Med cruise. As other contributors have said, the only things better in Celebrity are the ice cream and aqua spa. The food in general is tha same, but Brilliance has the two speciality restaurants that value for money compare well to Celebrity.

General ship layout in Brilliance is better.

SueL,

Thanks for the Brilliance pictures. We leave 3 weeks from today on a Med cruise onboard the BOS. I am so excited:)

You are very welcome, I am jealous that you are going on the BOS. It is a wonderful ship. Make sure you take the glass elevators all the way up to get a great surprise.

Thanks for the pictures. We are on Brilliance 2/11/08 Panama Canal, and this is our first RCL cruise. We also have sailed Celebrity on the Century a few years ago and loved it. We also enjoyed HAL, but we are looking forward to this trip and the ship.

Patti and John

The Brilliance is wonderful, but NOTHING compares to the homemade ice cream on X. So, you will have to give that up, but they have similar flavors on the menu at dinner. The unbeatable cinammon ice cream is also on the BOS.

Only downgrade you'll experience!

Hello everyone! Sorry to ask the question that has probably been asked a zillion times, so thanks for indulging me. We have sailed on Celebrity 5 times (Millie, Infinity, Century, Galaxy) and loved them. How does Brilliance compare? For example, my family loves the ice cream on X and I'm partial to the spa buffet. The staff has always gone overboard (no pun intended) to take care of us. Will we be happy on Brilliance? Don't know if it matters, but it will be a European itinerary. (PS-we usually sail in oceanview or balcony).

Thanks in advance for your help!

We are trying to decide if we will all miss the RCI ship if we head back to Celebrity. Being diamond members, we get a lot of extra perks that others don't get. Celebrity has taken many of the elite perks away. The RCI ships are high energy, while the Celebrity ships have a more intimate atmosphere and food quality a little better, but more low key over all. Now we don't only have to decide on which cruise line, but itinerary vs costs vs amount of days...what a tough life to have to make such choices??? Seriously though, we are trying to figure out the same answers for our upcoming holiday cruise.

OK, here's my take on it, and we are also Diamond C&A members. We just got back from a 12 night on the Millie in Europe and thoroughly enjoyed it. BUT....we decided ahead of time that we would give up the RCCL perks in order to have the itinerary we wanted (it was a timing thing).

The food was a step above in the dining room. DH thought the buffet was great, too, because they had the different "stations", so there was not just the one buffet line with the same entrees. He particularly liked the "make your own pasta dish" station.

We will go on Celebrity every so often for a ship/itinerary combination (Millie in a heartbeat!!), but we really like the C&A perks.

Thank you all for your input! Sue, the pics are great and she looks like a beautiful ship. We are choosing Brilliance because of the itinerary. Sounds like we will be happy (although it will be difficult to break the news to the family that there will be no ice cream for their afternoon snack;) ).

Again, thanks for your help!

Happy Sailing!

Thank you all for your input! Sue, the pics are great and she looks like a beautiful ship. We are choosing Brilliance because of the itinerary. Sounds like we will be happy (although it will be difficult to break the news to the family that there will be no ice cream for their afternoon snack;) ).

Again, thanks for your help!

Happy Sailing!

Well, there IS softserve ice cream with toppings to make sundaes. Does that count? (Yeah, I know, NOTHING compares to the 7 homemade flavors every day on X....spoiled brats that we are....:D :D :D ).

Well, there IS softserve ice cream with toppings to make sundaes. Does that count? (Yeah, I know, NOTHING compares to the 7 homemade flavors every day on X....spoiled brats that we are....:D :D :D ).

Yes, it sounds like a little thing but, you know how easily it is to be spoiled by the little things in life:p .

Hi Sue L.....Now what would that surprise be?...no don't wreck it...okaaaayyy, tell me....NO Don't!!:) I will try to contain myself:)

I wouldn't ruin it, just promise me you will take the glass elevators to the top!!! Have a great time!!!

Since you all love the Brilliance so much, would you mind answering 2 questions if you can?

We're sailing with another family in Dec, and we've just booked 8086 and 8088- does anyone know if we'd be able to take down any piece of the balcony?

Also, does BoS have a peekaboo bridge? We've got a former marine sailing with us, and I know he'd love a peek....

thanks and happy sailings,

Wendy

Since you all love the Brilliance so much, would you mind answering 2 questions if you can?

We're sailing with another family in Dec, and we've just booked 8086 and 8088- does anyone know if we'd be able to take down any piece of the balcony?

Also, does BoS have a peekaboo bridge? We've got a former marine sailing with us, and I know he'd love a peek....

thanks and happy sailings,

Wendy

No Peekaboo Bridge on Radiance Class - just Voyager class..:(

The food and especially the service is far and away superior in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity's M-Class ships verses Chops and Portofino. Not even in the same league.

Since we have never eaten in the specialty restaurants (probably the only people who have ever sailed on X and not had the infamous goat cheese souffle) and always have eaten supper in the main dining room, will we be dissappointed in the food?

Since we have never eaten in the specialty restaurants (probably the only people who have ever sailed on X and not had the infamous goat cheese souffle) and always have eaten supper in the main dining room, will we be dissappointed in the food?

IMO, Celebrity's food and service is a step or two above RCI. Our first cruise was on the Constellation in a Concerige Class cabin and we LOVED everything about this cruise. We have switched to RCI since then due to the C & A benefits. On RCI, we were a little disappointed in food and service quality but it by no means ruined our cruise. We love to cruise and will stick with RCI for C & A benefits and periodically visit Celebrity. Have a great time!! :)

Archived