Please help - aft or hump on Explorer of the Seas

cs

I have the choice of:

7314 which is a hump but not in the middle of the hump

or

8390 which is a corner aft.

Which one would you take and why?

Thanks for the help :)

We had 8390 on the Voyager (same as Explorer). Great cabin, good walk to the back to work off calories, great larger corner balcony. That room has no sliding doors, has one door that opens out, didn't bother us. I had some problems the first and 2nd night getting to sleep (i felt vibrations). Aslo, my son slept on pullman over our heads. We also had 9322 on Explorer last summer, right in middle of hump, great location (that's a D1, as opposed to 8390 which is an E1), room is a bit larger, sofa, instead of love seat. Balcony is much smaller, but you are right at the elevators when on the hump. My son slept on pullout sofa, but it's very hard not a real mattress. So that's my take on both types of rooms!!

Personally, I like the "hump" area--it's soooooo convenient! Especially with a child--those hallways are mighty loooooong!!!!! Unless you plan on having a dance on the balcony, the hump cabin has ample balcony space!

We had an aft (1388) on Mariner last August and didn't care for it at all. There was absolutely no cross-breeze (it was almost like a vacuum effect), so being out on the balcony was oppressively hot. Our balcony was in full sun for most of the day, and the shaded part was like an oven with all that heated stagnant air trapped under it. We hardly used the balcony at all, and could have saved money by booking an OV because it was nearly the same to us.

Plus, on Voyager-class ships, we didn't like the beams that were blocking our view. You had to look beyond a lot of obstruction from the infrastructure of the ship to see the wake/ocean. There was one beam that hung so low across our balcony that you had to duck under it or hit your head - not very easy for people with bad backs. Honestly, it felt to us that we were overlooking an industrial construction site rather than the sea.

As well, they clean the Windjammer windows and open decks above overnight, and the water is pushed off the back of the ship and onto our balcony. Many mornings, the railings and chairs were soaked. (The first night, we thought it had been raining).

Most people complain of soot, motion, distance and noise from the public areas above the aft cabins - we had none of these issues. Just the lack of a breeze to temper the heat and the obstructed view.

I'd gladly give up the larger balcony for a cooling breeze and a clear view of the sea/port.

Okay, I think I'm leaning towards the hump.

Does anybody know if 7314 is a hull balcony or is it a regular one? Any pictures???

Okay, I think I'm leaning towards the hump.

Does anybody know if 7314 is a hull balcony or is it a regular one? Any pictures???

A balcony on 7 will have the regular tinted plexiglas balcony instead of the hull balcony. The 6th floor has the metal balconies. If you do a search on webshots, you'll see cc member Bonnie Voyager has done a wonderful job of providing images of balcony types on Voyager class ships.

We've had two 9th floor humps on the Explorer and you can't beat the location for convenience....especially aft, with the proximity to the CL.

What the heck, here's the link...enjoy.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

L&JCruiseAway, thank you so very much for that link - you didn't have to do that but I appreciate it.

I guess I should be safe with anything 7 and above (I don't like the hull balcony).

Thanks again :)

L&JCruiseAway, thank you so very much for that link - you didn't have to do that but I appreciate it.

I guess I should be safe with anything 7 and above (I don't like the hull balcony).

Thanks again :)

YW cs. I've never had the hull balcony, not sure if I'd like it either. DH is a bit of a clean freak. He often cleans the plexiglas to get a better view of the water....I know he would not enjoy the steel view although others have posted they don't mind them at all. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived