Majesty vs. Sovereign. Help me pick!

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice on which cruise to pick. My fiancee and I will be taking a short cruise as half of our honeymoon. Both are 4 day Bahamas cruises departing Sept 22nd, 2008. Pricing is virtually identical.

Majesty of the Seas

Departs from Miami

Day 1 - Depart Miami

Day 2 - Nassau 8am-6pm

Day 3 - Cococay 8am-4pm

Day 4 - Key West 9am-6pm

- Majesty is a few years newer and had a more recent refurbishment. I believe the trip from airport to port is quicker/cheaper for Miami. We have the option of Key West or staying aboard and having the boat to ourselves.

Sovereign of the Seas

Departs from Port Canaveral

Day 1 - Depart PC

Day 2 - Cococay 8am-5pm

Day 3 - Nassau 7am-midnight

Day 4 - Sea Day

- We get to spend a whole day in Nassau.

Majesty is the winner so far. But I wanted some opinions from you guys!

Thanks!

-John

We've been on both ships in the last year. They are SO similar, it's hard to choose. We picked Majesty for the last 4 day, but it really was almost a coin toss. It is SO HOT right now, that we didn't even get off the ship in Key West (we live in Florida and have been there before) and didn't do much in Nassau either. We have had a hectic summer and just enjoyed the ship. Majesty has the Compass Deli in addition to Sorrento's Pizza. Don't know if Sovereign has that. If they do we didn't see it.

The post-refurb Majesty is beautiful, but the Sovereign is still looking good after her refurb.

The cruises are so similar I'd pick based on convenience if I were you, unless you are really going to take advantage of the later night in Nassau.

Really, since the ships and itinerary are so similiar, I would go with the travel time from the airport and cost of airfare. For Orlando Int'l it is a good hour trip our to PC, easy drive, but it is longer than what you will have in Miami. However, OIA is a MUCH nicer airport than Miami, so if you get back to the airport early on your return, there is a much nicer wait in Orlando. Can't go wrong with either ship, we love the Sovereign and the only reason we haven't tried Majesty is b/c we live in Orlando and PC is much closer for us to drive to than all the way down to Miami.

Having never been on the Majesty (will be on her 7/13) I will add this.

Port - It is much easier to get in to and out of Port Canaveral. Miami is much more scenic to cruise out of however.

Sea day or Key West - Personal choice but I really like sea days. We chose Majesty for July because we have never been to Key West and wanted to go there.

I can tell you this much, Sovereign has the best staff on the seas as far as I am concerned. My attitude might change once we have been on the Majesty but the Sovereign staff is second to none, very nice, friendly, and ready to serve you!!!

Another point of concern for your decision would be where you live. If in FLA and closer to one port than the other, that would be the one I would pick other than what I stated earlier. Otherwise I prefer to fly into Orlando and then rent a car to Port Canaveral.

These are just my opinions and I am sure you will get others.

HAVE FUN NO MATTER WHICH ONE YOU PICK!!!

Tim

Since you only have 4 nights, I'd go with the Majesty, as well. Key West is a neat place. Personally, I'd stay on the ship in Nassau and make that my own "sea day"! The ship will be virtually empty while everyone else is ashore! Nassau is my very least favorite port. I loved Key West!!! (Bar-hopping is fun!)

Either one you choose will give you your money's worth!

Another thing to consider is that if Majesty misses Coco Cay, then they have a sea day, if the Sovereign misses Coco Cay, they try to head into Nassau early, so you get an overnight in Nassau.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm noticing that it's very slim pickings for staterooms, even though the cruise is over a year away. Insides and oceanviews are limited to a handful of leftovers beside stairwells and elevators.

Rooms should open up as time goes on right? Especially closer to the deposit-refund deadline?

Should I just grab something now, and switch rooms if I see something?

Thanks! I'm trying to hone my reservation skills...

-John

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm noticing that it's very slim pickings for staterooms, even though the cruise is over a year away. Insides and oceanviews are limited to a handful of leftovers beside stairwells and elevators.

Rooms should open up as time goes on right? Especially closer to the deposit-refund deadline?

Should I just grab something now, and switch rooms if I see something?

Thanks! I'm trying to hone my reservation skills...

-John

Normally, not all available rooms are shown on the RCI website, give RCI a call and see what other rooms are available

I would take majesty just for key west. I love key west and always look for an opportunity to stop there. It is great there. What matters is do you wanna leave out of Miami ir Port Canaveral? if you are driving, that may be the deciding factor... I love the sovereign, but that majesty itinary looks better than sovereign

My 2 cents worth:)

Archived