Mariner - Art Auctions/Wine and Cheese nights?

Hello all .. just wondering if there are some good Art auctions onboard and also if they did any type of wine and cheese nights, we have had these on other cruises and thoroughly enjoyed talking to the Art exhibitors.

Cheers

Just back from Mariner. I sat in on the art auction to see if people really were going to spend $$$$$ of dollars on this art. I grant that Peter Max and Picasso are great but, I wondered how many people would buy. The auction guy was rude< I thought< making comments on how stupid we( the audience) was for not buying a Peter Max for only $7000. Sorry buddy, I'm sure most of us on the ship saved pennies for a while to be on the cruise. During a break he was making more rude comments on nobody buying anything. During the way to long auction only 3 people bought a picture.I think the guy needs to do more auctioning and stop the stories of his life and false bidding in African language over and over again. Go for the preview and free champagne.

I avoid them like the plague. It's like going to Vegas and being assaulted by those God awful condo people. There have also been some very dubious reports on the boards recently about the auctions. As teajak said, Caveat emptor.

I always attend the Art Auctions for entertainment, and sometimes buy a piece or two for enjoyment and as a souvenir - not as an investment. We just returned from a Liberty cruise, and it was by far the worst art auction experience I've ever had. Not only did the auctioneer border on rudeness (IMO he's been doing this so long that contempt for the passengers is starting to show a little), but he had "helpers" who were in your face constantly during the auctions or in the art gallery. When bidding, one would run over and talk in your ear to recommend going higher or raise his hand to actually bid for you, or if you had bought a piece they would come over to encourage you to buy other art by the same artist. Having said this, several people did buy big ticket art on our cruise, including a piece for more than $250k. As long as Park West is making sales like that, their art auctions will continue. And yeah, I'll probably continue to go to them...it's always interesting to see what's going on.

I have to disagree with the previous comments. We always go the art auctions and find them entertaining and informative. By and large, the auctioneers we have seen have been fine. Indeed, a few have even set up additional sessions (with wine and hors d'oevres) to discuss techniques, history, etc.. I will say that Mrs. Yogimax was an art major in college, so we have an inherent interest.

Yes, we have encountered auctioneers who we would not invite to our house. They have been the exception, however.

Bottom line, it's informative, can be fun, free champagne, nice art.

several people did buy big ticket art on our cruise, including a piece for more than $250k. As long as Park West is making sales like that, their art auctions will continue. And yeah, I'll probably continue to go to them...it's always interesting to see what's going on.

Anyone who would buy a $250K piece of art on a cruise "art" auction either must be deranged or a shill for the auction company...

JMHO

LL

Actually, I like going to the art auctions. They're great entertainment and you can have free drinks!

Would I ever in a million years buy a piece of art from them? Probably not ... the only exception would be if I could pick up something in a nice frame for about $125. I'd then chuck the lithograph or print or whatever they sold me and re-use the frame for something I love!

Actually, I like going to the art auctions. They're great entertainment and you can have free drinks!

Would I ever in a million years buy a piece of art from them? Probably not ... the only exception would be if I could pick up something in a nice frame for about $125. I'd then chuck the lithograph or print or whatever they sold me and re-use the frame for something I love!

Actually, we always look for the framed "take-offs." If the frame is in halfway decent condition, they can be a great bargain.

Anyone who would buy a $250K piece of art on a cruise "art" auction either must be deranged or a shill for the auction company...

JMHO

LL

Actually, we wondered the same thing (we wondered if she was a relative...)! They certainly made a fuss over her for the rest of the week (surprise!) including making sure that her champagne glass was never empty. Hiccup.

To be honest we have always found these events are just great fun, for the fact you can watch other people spend their money (Never seen $250 though). And often they do put on champagne for you to drink. we bought some great Goddard pieces that have actually gone up in value since buying them on a P & O cruise

Thanks for the inputs everyone, we will definitely keep an eye out for them on our next cruise - not long now, yay!

Archived