Denali Shuttle Question

The Postman

We're taking the shuttle bus deep into Denali in about a week. Since we're traveling for 6-8 hours on a bus, we'd like to take along lunch and snacks to keep the kids (and me) happy.

How big of cooler do they allow, or will actually fit, on the bus with us?

Thanks!

Not sure which shuttle you mean but we were on the Tundra Wilderness Tour which was 6-8 hours and ended up being about 7. All the buses looked about the same size, just different colors. I did not see any coolers at all. But there were kids and the parents had brought sacks full of snacks and drink bottles. We had coke bottles and drank out of them the whole 7 hours and they stayed fairly cool. I would think you can bring anything you can fit in the overhead, maybe a small colapsable cooler. The Tundra W tour gives each guest what they call a box lunch and it has a water bottle in it with cheese stick, granola bar, sausage and bread. But we also picked up deli sandwiches at the Park General Store that really got us thru the 7 hours.

We're taking the shuttle bus deep into Denali in about a week. Since we're traveling for 6-8 hours on a bus, we'd like to take along lunch and snacks to keep the kids (and me) happy.

How big of cooler do they allow, or will actually fit, on the bus with us?

Thanks!

A small cooler that fits under your seat is best (not sure if there is much room overhead for a cooler and you probably would not want to put it overhead in the chance that it might fall over or start to leak). You could also bring a small backpack - it is basically a school bus with better suspension to give you an idea.

When will you be on the shuttle? I am overnighting at Wonder Lake next Tuesday and Wednesday nights. So far the weather forecast is very promising. Let's hope it stays that way!

John

Since the shuttles can run full, you can not take up a seat with a cooler. There is some overhead space and some under your seat, although, not high enough for more than a "single" hight cooler, like a 6 pack one. I've taken the 6 pack coolers and long ago gave up on anything else needing refrigeration. So I just take peanut butter, jelly and a nice loaf of bread. :)

I question your description- "deep into the Park" is Wonder Lake, about 11 hours, Fish Creek is about 8 hours. IF you are going to Wonder Lake, be sure to take some heavy duty "bug protection". :)

I question your description- "deep into the Park" is Wonder Lake, about 11 hours, Fish Creek is about 8 hours. IF you are going to Wonder Lake, be sure to take some heavy duty "bug protection". :)

Poster was duly warned and I send the suggestion! This coming week I am staying a couple of nights near Wonder Lake and am taking:

100% DEET

Mosquito Net

Off Power Pad light - worked wonders last year at Wonder Lake (no pun intended). So good that once lit, we could take our mosquito nets off!

Archived