CHANGES and CHARGES

mariamva2

Wow, I'm reading a lot of posts regarding some of the changes and charges on SS. The last time I sailed was 5 years ago, and I have booked a cruise in November.

So I'm wondering what else has changed:

Do they still offer caviar? If so, what kind (I believe they were serving Osetra) back then.

Do they still stock your bar in your room with your choice of beverages?

Do they stock it with anything (we had asked for Crown Royal and Grey Goose).

Do they still offer in-room course by course dining? At no extra charge?

I was surprised to hear that they now charge for the specialty restaurant. It was such a great experience last time we were on the ship (no charge at all, just had to sign up early). We did this on two nights. At $150.00 per person, plus the $30.00 I don't think we would be interested.

Wow, I'm reading a lot of posts regarding some of the changes and charges on SS. The last time I sailed was 5 years ago, and I have booked a cruise in November.

So I'm wondering what else has changed:

Do they still offer caviar? If so, what kind (I believe they were serving Osetra) back then.

Yes they do...I don't know the type as my partner's the caviar eater but they'll happily bring you caviar gratis.

Do they still stock your bar in your room with your choice of beverages?

Do they stock it with anything (we had asked for Crown Royal and Grey Goose).

Yes they do. I can't comment specifically on your brands but they do stock your stateroom with your preferences.

Do they still offer in-room course by course dining? At no extra charge?

Yes the do!!! (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record!). No extra charge and with gracious service.

Q: "I was surprised to hear that they now charge for the specialty restaurant. It was such a great experience last time we were on the ship (no charge at all, just had to sign up early). We did this on two nights. At $150.00 per person, plus the $30.00 I don't think we would be interested."

A: It is EITHER $ 150 (for the special paired wine menu) OR $ 30 (plus the wine you choose from the special wine list) for the 'themed' dinner (like Herbs, Terroir, etc).

And just to clarify....there is no charge for La Terraza (what some would consider the 'specialty restaurant')....but there is a $30 p/p charge for La Champagne (the 'gastronomic restaurant'; $150 p/p if you want wines included. But no charge for La Terraza.

The charge for Le Champagne is $30 per person and you chose the wine that you want, which you have to pay for. Frankly the wines that are free are not that great and we ordered a bottle or two almost at every meal, we did so on Regency and also on Crystal, where they charge for everything. If something is free, it is, normally not that great. I might also state that on Seabourn the free wines are a little better but not that much. Hello, you are paying a fortune for the cruise, so why not enjoy and not penny pinch. Also found that the bar brands were most acceptable.

have fun

Thank you for the clarification on the $150 charge. I'm so glad to hear that, because $30 is not so bad, and we can decide if we want to order the wine.

And I am REALLY happy that the caviar is still offered and the room is still stocked. I've been telling my two friends all about the great things silvesea offers, and then started reading and thought, "oh no" :)

I saw both Crown Royal and Grey Goose at the bar in March. I looked for them because people have asked here a lot.

Some of the free wines are not great, but you can ask for a different complimentary one and describe the taste you like. This workd very well for us on both cruises, and they were bringing stuff for us to try that was just delightful when we could have kept quiet and had either a good one or a terrible one depending on the roll of the dice for their daily pick. We also found that if we liked one from some other night, they often had enough for our needs for the whole cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I used to work on Silverseas , and yes they still have drink in the mini bar in your suite. Your stewardess will also take your oder on Embarkation day when she ( should intriduce the suite to you) If you have already odered the Gey Goose , Crown Royal already as a special request you should get it when you reach your suite or if they have had loading for provisions in the port you arrive at you will then get it later that evening. Or the Executive housekeeper will inform you if they have not got it and will offer you something else . This is still part of the 6 star service they should supply you with. Least it was when I worked there. The new Dinning is called Saletta and yes you will be chaged for Dinning in there, if you book . The rest is still free. As you know there is no more Bulgari shops now so they now have H Stern on board in it's place. In your suite you should now have Bulgari shower gel and so on. What suite or Deck will you be on? I took out the Wind in 1995 and later went to other companies and then returned to the Shadow and the Wind and the Cloud. If you what to know anything else I will be more than happy to assiat you. My husband workes on board and is heading back to the Shadow.

Hi,

I used to work on Silverseas , and yes they still have drink in the mini bar in your suite. Your stewardess will also take your oder on Embarkation day when she ( should intriduce the suite to you) If you have already odered the Gey Goose , Crown Royal already as a special request you should get it when you reach your suite or if they have had loading for provisions in the port you arrive at you will then get it later that evening. Or the Executive housekeeper will inform you if they have not got it and will offer you something else . This is still part of the 6 star service they should supply you with. Least it was when I worked there. The new Dinning is called Saletta and yes you will be chaged for Dinning in there, if you book . The rest is still free. As you know there is no more Bulgari shops now so they now have H Stern on board in it's place. In your suite you should now have Bulgari shower gel and so on. What suite or Deck will you be on? I took out the Wind in 1995 and later went to other companies and then returned to the Shadow and the Wind and the Cloud. If you what to know anything else I will be more than happy to assiat you. My husband workes on board and is heading back to the Shadow.

I would appreciate an update on the condition of the Cloud. We'll be sailing on her again in November (the last time was three years ago). I've heard she is getting on not very well with age (threadbare carpets, worn bedspread etc.) from comments on this board.

Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I was last on the Cloud in 2006 and she is sadly getting old in the furnishings side of things. The ship did go into dry dock before I joined and they did change allot of things in the public areas and some carpets in the suites and the sheer curtains in all suites. But for the age of the Vessel she is still beautiful and the crew and staff are the best in the world.

I will be on the Cloud next month. I hope they are maintaining this lovely ship. There is no excuse for threadbare carpets or fabrics. I first sailed on her when she was two months old in June 1994 and I was stunned by the elegance and service so she holds a special place in my heart. When I visited the ship three months later while in port they were already replacing carpeting. This can be done quickly and easily so why aren't they doing it now?

Archived