Leaving from San Juan - AOS

I am looking at AOS for next year leaving out of San Juan, PR.

What is the "average" price my fellow CC'ers have paid for airfare?...I'm looking at Spirit and it's under $300 round trip right now. So I think that is decent

Also...and I hope this comes out the right way...were there a lot of language barrier issues? I realize going out of PR there will be more PR citizens who (I assume) usually speak Spanish. Did any of you who have gone out of PR have language barrier issues with tablemates, etc?? Were announcements made in English and Spanish?

I hope that doesn't sound rude or anything, I am just curious if it was a problem at dinner, etc..?

I recently returned from the AOS cruise June 17th-24th. If you can find airfare for under $300, grab it. We paid $240 out of Atlanta going on American. I've been looking at airfare for the AOS cruise next February and the cheapest rates run around $440 right now. I hope it goes down.

You won't find any problems with language barriers. The announcements are in both English and Spanish. This seems to be the case on many ships sailing out of Miami also. The Puerto Ricans were nice and police that we saw. Most spoke both languages well.

We sailed on AOS on 6/17 out of PR. No clue about air but that price seems good. We had a PR couple at our dinner table that spoke no english at all. We felt really bad for them but they were really nice and seemed to enjoy our company despite the language issues. By the end of the cruise they were speaking a little english. One of our waiters spoke spanish so he helped out some. You will enjoy this ship.

Under $300 for airfare, I'd grab it. As for language issues, I haven't had any to speak of. We had a Puerto Rican couple at our table and we found out that all those in school must take English so we really had no problems conversing.

Enjoy your cruise!

Jen

DH and I are on the Serenade out of San Juan next January. We used Dividend Miles for our flights so don't know about costs for flying.

One of the things I'm going to do is brush up on some basic Spanish to help us. I took Spanish in college in the Dark Ages :eek: and had another class a couple of years ago, but I still don't speak the language. But I think even a few basic words will help us the four nights we're in San Juan pre-cruise and perhaps with situations where someone from Puerto Rico might be at our table and not speak English.

hmm Puerto Rico is a Us territory-almost every one speaks some basic english-and most everything is signed or labeled in both spanish and english-we live in colorado and it really didnt seem hugely different exept for signage being spanish first and some road signs being in spanish. But i also both speak and read spanish so maybe i just didnt notice it that much-

we paid 240 per seat for rt airfare denver to san juan

We were on AOS in late May; pretty much everyone we met spoke English...except the couple at our table! By the second night they were gone to a table at which they were more comfortable. Then our waiter started pressuring us to move to another table since we were the only ones left; wanted to stay but got tired of being asked 4 times in one night if we wanted to move. Finally, we moved out of the diningroom--things were much more pleasant but it certainly wasn't much fun after that since we really enjoy eating in the diningroom. Attitude was everywhere on the AOS; never experienced anything like it in over 30 cruises. It's not the passengers creating problems on AOS, it is many of the staff.

ADZCruiser - Guess we are from the same neck of the woods! I'm in Marietta and doing the AOS 12/2 - where did you find that air fare? I've been looking everyday and can't get below $424!

Im in Cumming:p We just booked the airfare through RCCL. Put us on Delta on the way (Direct), and American back (stoping in Miami).

I am looking at AOS for next year leaving out of San Juan, PR.

What is the "average" price my fellow CC'ers have paid for airfare?...I'm looking at Spirit and it's under $300 round trip right now. So I think that is decent

Also...and I hope this comes out the right way...were there a lot of language barrier issues? I realize going out of PR there will be more PR citizens who (I assume) usually speak Spanish. Did any of you who have gone out of PR have language barrier issues with tablemates, etc?? Were announcements made in English and Spanish?

I hope that doesn't sound rude or anything, I am just curious if it was a problem at dinner, etc..?

Avg. price out of Chicago is about $400 pp non stop on American Airlines.

As far as language issues, I have sailed out of San Juan many times and have always noted (not suprisingly) more Puerto Rican passengers than ships originating in the US, many of which travel together as extended families. I would not venture to guess the percentage of nationalities.

ADZCruiser - Guess we are from the same neck of the woods! I'm in Marietta and doing the AOS 12/2 - where did you find that air fare? I've been looking everyday and can't get below $424!

I live in Vinings and am tracking airfares through Kayak.com for AOS in February. They send me an email every day with the current airfares from Atlanta to San Juan. You might want to try that.

I booked airfare on American Airlines (direct from Washington-Dulles to San Juan) for $372 per person. We are sailing in April 2008. I suggest booking the fare if it is about $300 per person.

As for language barrier, this will be the second time sailing out of San Juan, and we had no problems what's so ever the last time. I don't expect any the second time either.

I just got < $350 for USAir from Detroit next April.

This post is for "Michigan Tim". You know whats really weird? My name is Tim, I'm from Michigan and just got back from PR from flying out of Detroit! You kinda spooked me out!

Airfare price sounds really good. We usually get AA out of Orlando for under $300.

Have sailed out of SJ many times, never an issue with language and neither of us speak a bit of Spanish. Announcements are made in both languages. We actually had more of a language barrier with the two German couples that sat with us. My DH is German but came to the states at 13, so his German is not overly great anymore, so even he had problems understanding some of what they were saying. They spoke English, but the accent made it very hard to understand. But you work you way through it and we enjoyed our table mates very much.

Love cruising from SJ, my favorite port to leave from

This is on spiritair.com....I just looked at prices for this September, as they don't have next September's prices available and I wanted an "idea" of what the prices are like.

I'm in Sandy Springs!

Right now Spirits airfare for next year seems to be on the high side, I am looking at Airfare from Orlando to San Juan for next May. On Delta & American I can get it for $262 RT, Spirt for April which is the latest they are booking right now is over $700 RT....if I want to pay that much I'll go 1st class on Delta or AA...:D

Archived