taxis nyc terminal

jean 50ny

I have read the taxis are scarce when you dissembark in NYC. Someone mentioned renting a driver to take you to JFK. Anyone--how is that done. Thanks

You don't rent a driver you call a car service and have them meet you and pick you up. There are literally hundreds of car services that will do this. I recommend any of the local Brooklyn ones. Cadman Plaza Car Service, heights Hill Car Service, Arecibo etc. they don't normally make a reservation since it can be hours when people get off the ship, you call when you are about to get off( I use my cell phone) and they are there to meet you. Princess and the Cruise terminal does have car services that you can just use when you get off, its about twice what the local car services charge.

I am sailing on the Crown, departing NY on JUly 14th. I actually did prebook a car servbice to pick me up at 10:30am, as I am confident that I will be off the ship by this time, as I have read numerous post by other CC members advising that they were off the ship as early as 9:00am. However, in saying that I did also call on of the local Brookly companies mentioned above ny smeyer418 and they told me that while they don't take advance reservations, I could call them that morning and they would have someone there within 15 minutes. Interesting to note that the rate for the pre-booked service was about 40% more.

However, in saying that I did also call on of the local Brookly companies mentioned above ny smeyer418 and they told me that while they don't take advance reservations, I could call them that morning and they would have someone there within 15 minutes. Interesting to note that the rate for the pre-booked service was about 40% more.

I agree, we use Arecibo and they will arrive within 10-15 minutes after you call and are outside with your bags and ready to go. :)

I have never experienced a problem getting yellow taxi at the terminal. As matter of fact, there are car services waiting at the terminal too. They will try to charge you as much as possible. NYC yellow's have a flat rate to JFK...exit the terminal and get on the yellow taxi line.

I have never experienced a problem getting yellow taxi at the terminal. As matter of fact, there are car services waiting at the terminal too. They will try to charge you as much as possible. NYC yellow's have a flat rate to JFK...exit the terminal and get on the yellow taxi line.

Not from Red Hook. The flat rate is only from Manhattan to and from JFK for yellow cabs.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

I was on the Crown Princess in Sept 06 and didn't have a problem getting a cab when I got off the ship. I even did the self debark and was one of the first people off and there were cabs already waiting. We jumped in and were off to JFK in no time.

I have taken a taxi numerous times. Sometimes there will be a line of them and other times you might have to wait a few to say 10 or 15 minutes. It all depends how many were out there to begin with, how many ships are in port, how many passenger's were ahead of you and so forth. So, it's no big deal and you will be able to get a taxi. In many cities we pre-book private cars but given the abundance of taxi cabs in NYC we don't worry about it.

Keith

After our Crown cruise in '06, we did self-disembarkation and were greated by many taxis and limos. A towncar to midtown Manhattan was cheaper than the taxi. Walked right out of the terminal and straight up to a driver who was happy to take us. Great ride with a little local commentary.

I have taken a taxi numerous times. Sometimes there will be a line of them and other times you might have to wait a few to say 10 or 15 minutes. It all depends how many were out there to begin with, how many ships are in port, how many passenger's were ahead of you and so forth. So, it's no big deal and you will be able to get a taxi. In many cities we pre-book private cars but given the abundance of taxi cabs in NYC we don't worry about it.

Keith

sounds like you are talking about Manhattan since Brooklyn has only one berth for a ship...Manhattan is different than Brooklyn. Its harder to get a cab there. Yes especially when you are a late disembarker the cabs are dropping people off but most times there is a wait for a yellow cab. Since a yellow cab to midtown should be about $25.00(or less) per cab, I can't imagine a waiting limo charging less... since the set rate is supposed to be $40-50.

sounds like you are talking about Manhattan since Brooklyn has only one berth for a ship...Manhattan is different than Brooklyn. Its harder to get a cab there. Yes especially when you are a late disembarker the cabs are dropping people off but most times there is a wait for a yellow cab. Since a yellow cab to midtown should be about $25.00(or less) per cab, I can't imagine a waiting limo charging less... since the set rate is supposed to be $40-50.

Yes, I am talking about Manhattan.

Keith

Archived