2009 World Cruises - Which Are You Booking?

WestchesterCruiseFan

If I booked a 2009 World Cruise, I would select  

31 members have voted

1. 1. If I booked a 2009 World Cruise, I would select

• Queen Mary 2 via South America
    • Queen Victoria via Panama Canal
    • Neither - I'd select another cruise line - see below
    • Other - see below

I'm trying to decide which itinerary I like better, so, for those of you who are booking, or even those who just want to vote...

Which one would you book and why?

The information below is supplied by the courtesy of our fellow Cruise Critic KenC:

QM2 world cruise itinerary is as below ~

Jan

13 Ft Lauderdale

16 Barbados

22 Rio de Janeiro

25 Montevideo

28 Cape Horn

31 Valparaiso (from Santiago)

Feb

3 Callao (from Lima)

7 Acapulco

10 Los Angeles

14 Honolulu

19 Pago Pago

21 International Date Line

23 Auckland

26 Sydney

Mar

6 Osaka

9 Hong Kong

12 Bangkok

14 Singapore

18 Goa

21 Dubai

23 Salalah

27 Suez Canal

28 Alexandria

30 Athens

Apr

1 Rome

2 Cannes

3 Barcelona

7 Paris (from Le Havre)

8 Southampton

QV world cruise itinerary 2009 as follows ~

Jan

2 Southampton

10 New York

13 Ft lauderdale

16 Curacao

18 Panama Canal

21 Puerto Quetzal

24 Puerto Vallarta

25 Cabo San Lucas

27 Los Angeles

Feb

1 Honolulu

6 Apia, W Samoa

7 International Date Line

9 Tonga

12 Auckland

14 Christchurch

17 Hobart

19 / 20 Sydney

23 Airlie Beach (Great Barrier Reef)

26 Papua, New Guinea

Mar

1 Saipan, Marianas

5 Nagasaki

6 Pusan

8 Shanghai

11 Hong Kong

13 Nha Trang, Vietnam

14 Ho Chi Minh City

16 Bangkok

19 Singapore

21 Phuket

25 Goa

26 Mumbai

29 Dubai

Apr

4 Aquaba

6 Suez Canal

7 Alexandria

9 Kusadasi, Turkey

10 Istanbul

11 Mykonos

12 Athens

14 Rome

16 Barcelona

20 Southampton

I'd really appreciate feedback of why you selected the itinerary you did when voting! This is a tough decision for me and I want to make the right choice :D

Thanks for voting and your input in advance!

After reading everything I could and really examining the itineraries, I will be booking Queen Victoria. While the ship is smaller, I like the itinerary better and the fact that it's a longer trip really gives QV my vote. The only port that I could say I would be disappointed not visiting will be Rio but, that can happen another time.

Hope you're going to join me, would love to have another Cruise Critic on the full cruise with me!

We're going to place QM2 on hold with a deposit when the bookings open but, we're holding out to see what Crystal Cruise Lines offer as well. I agree both itineraries are excellent but, we're opting for the shorter of the two cruises as we have four legged friends we don't want to leave for the extra amount of time.

I won't be taking either but, if I was to book one of these two specific trips, I think I'd probably pick QM2. For me, South America has great interest, and, it also has some other interesting stops such as Salalah, Oman and let's not forget Paris (Le Harve) in the Spring ;)

I'd also select QM2 because of the size of the ship and the variety of things to do onboard during days at sea.

Either way, I'm green with envy! You're going to have a great trip and, if I could ask just one favor? Could you stow me away in your carry on luggage? PLEASE?!? :D

I only hope I'm lucky enough to take a world cruise some day. I wish all of you booking the 2009 World Cruises safe journeys and an incredible time! If I was going, I'd book Queen Mary 2, in my opinion you're getting the best of everything that way. Have a great time planning and taking your trips!

Count me among the "some day" folks... If I were to book 2009, QM2 looks like my type of itinerary, I lived in Rio for 6 months during the 1990s and would love to get back down there.

Happy sails to you...

Looks like I get the ship to myself, well almost ;)

I've already determined the ship, Queen Victoria, for my 2009 World Cruise. My problem, which category? I'm traveling solo and usually book a standard balcony cabin, however, given the length of the voyage I'm considering booking a Grill Category.

Would you all mind filling me in on the pros and cons of booking a Grill cabin. Very oblivious is the cost of a Grill vs regular balcony cabins but, what I am seeking is information about if the "perks" make it worth the investment for a voyage of this length.

Thank you.

I believe there is still room on the QE2 for its 90 day 2008 version of a world cruise. Actually a very interesting selection of ports.. It is not often one gets to the Falklands or Easter Island by ship these days.

Which is why I selected it to begin with.- good selection of ports ... not mention going "round the horn". So that will be my cruising for awhile. And I am certainly looking forward to it.

Susan

Personally, I'd select QV - it's a newer ship and, you'll go through the Panama Canal and not have to deal with the dreaded Cape - and it will time out that you can take QM2 back to the States... If you don't mind waiting two days ;)

I've been both to and through the canal. And around Mexico.

While the old world stops are nice, I would be much more excited by the "different" places in South America. Japan interests me, but ou still get Osaka.

All in all, it would be a bit more of a good "first" world to travel to places a little less "foreign" to me, where the culture is nearer to my own, yet enough exotics to really pique my interests. The end of the Vicky's voyage has a lot of med and far east. I think (Since it would be a first if I were ever to be able to do one at all) it might actually be a bit over stimulating jumping into so much fascinating different culture all at once. Such that at farther end of the trip, I might be tired, and maybe not quite able to take it all in and enjoy it as much. I think at some point, unless you are an experienced world traveler, a different country a day (well, not really) could be a bit overwhelming.

At least that's my though.

Karie,

who is probably not likely to ever go on a world. But nice fantasy!

Been through the booklet very carefully and I can't find where it says what the single supplement would be. Therefore, I can only conclude Cunard don't want me anymore, :mad: :mad: so I will not be going on the world cruise. (Not that I could have done anyway)

Queen Victoria segment from NY to LA . . .

(That's if the US Cunard site ever posts prices and bookings ;) )

We are doing this segment of the 2008 QV world cruise - the smaller segments were only released for booking in September last year. The whole 2009 world cruise is not available for booking until July 9 - don't expect the segments for a couple of months after that.

Ken

Archived