Just back from Mercury...and loved it!

kruisecat

Dutchess, yes:) I had family in Old Beth Page for years and years:)

I remember Huntington Station;) .....gosh that was over 40 years ago:eek:

where has the time gone.......?

I will be up in New Jersey in 2 weeks for a family reunion.....

And will be meeting lots of NEW COUSINS that I never knew I had.....

we are all meeting in FT. Lee. I am trying to get as excited for this reunion

as I do when I am getting ready to cruise again LOL

(oh I was born in Rockland County).....

Lois R

Many Many changes out here. The dreaded LIE(longest parking lot in the world) is now 4 lanes the fourth lane is a hov lane from 6-10a.m. & 3-8p.m. mon-fri must have at least 2 in the cars. Only the long Island part is HOV not in the city part. We have had several people ticketed for having dummies in the front seat. Thought you would love that one only in NY. My DS, DIL, & Granddaughter live in Bethpage. MY DD & SIL live in Cicero a suburb of Syracuse, the county of Onondaga all the way up. It usually takes us 5 hours to get there. We ae going up next week so I will think of you when I have to cross the GW bridge & pass Ft. Lee. I know that you will have a great time at the family reuion they are awesome. What a small world it really is.

I have been a way for a while (My 92 year old Grandma, whom I loved very much, died last week, so I was off the boards for a while making arrangements to get to and attending her funeral)

Sorry I didn't say where the buffets were.....There was normal dining in the formal dining rooms... But because there were so many late excusions that would have caused people to miss their dining time.... They offered a buffet dinner in the Buffet... Palm Spring Cafe....

Sorry I wasn't more specific.:)

Suzanne - sorry to hear about your Grandma! I was just glad you mentioned there was another dinig option in the evenings because of the late port times. Before your post I thought our options were either the grill or eating in town.

Thank you for the condolences.

I was lucky enough to go on three cruises with my Grandmother. She was on the little Bon Vivante cruise in 1975, The Boheme in 1979, and the Fairsea in 1981.

She also traveled extensively in the 70's and 80's, when she was in her 60's and 70's all over the world. She took several extensive trips to Europe, Across the USA, and a great trip to or 50th State Hawaii. I think what I will miss most of all is talking with her about my travels and getting her input on what I should do when I go on my trips.

Lois,

The thing that I found really interesting about the Mercury was that there were just really good vibes on the ship, even with many new faces, and some

familiar ones, there as just a really good energy onboard the ship. Every one seemed to be very happy in their work. And that says a lot because cruise ship crew members work very long hours and have little time off during their contract. I think that they do a really good job of balancing the right amount of friendliness with professionalism.

We are looking at maybe our next cruise being on the Mercury, Thanksgiving 2009 (that seems to far away). It is the 15 day Panama Canal. I think that this would be a fabulous cruise and again on a great ship.

CruiseArizona

What fond memories you have of your Grandmother. You are so fortunate to have them for the rest of your life. I am really glad that she traveled as extensively as she did good for her. I only wish my Mom did, her biggest travel was to go to N.J. & that was with me forcing(driving) her to go. My mom was never on a plane nor did she drive. I on the other hand try & travel as much as I possibly can.

OMG.. small world. I was looking at this thread about info for the Mercury and see some ole LI girls. I'm from Plainview,LI and have to go to a Family Reunion in NJ too next month.Jersey Shore for us... It really is a small world.:p

Now to my Mercury question. The Aft Balcony rooms under the night club, is it noisy?

Thanks

CuriousCat

OMG.. small world. I was looking at this thread about info for the Mercury and see some ole LI girls. I'm from Plainview,LI and have to go to a Family Reunion in NJ too next month.Jersey Shore for us... It really is a small world.:p

Now to my Mercury question. The Aft Balcony rooms under the night club, is it noisy?

Thanks

CuriousCat

Too funny, CuriousCat, many, many years ago (put another many in there) one of my cousins worked at the Holiday Inn Plainview......

she was the bookkeeper for a lonnnnggg time.

The Aft Balconies on Mercury? The only night club aft is the

Pavillion Lounge (I don't really consider it a nightclub as compared

to the Navigator).

I guess it is a small night club?......I have never had an Aft cabin

so I can't give you an honest answer. But normally the Pavillion

doesn't stay open really late....I mean they do have shows and

the house band plays there sometimes too. But not usually late

into the night.....maybe someone who has stayed in one of those

cabins can help you first hand.

Lois, are you doing back-to-back three days cruises in October? Too bad you aren't sailing in September. It would be nice to meet you. I am sailing with my family and my dad's girlfriend's family - 37 of us all together. We make final payment this week.

I will really miss not seeing the Mercury when I go to Seattle this Friday and Saturday. We go to Seattle one or two times during the summer,and I alway talk my husband into going down the the pier to see the Mercury, but now she is homeported in Vancouver.

Brenda

Curiouscat

Here we go my dil comes from Plainview, her parents still live in plainview & my granddaughter was born in what was called Plainview hospital. It now is called North Shore/Plainview.

I am just cracking up reading all this.

Have to echo the comment about Mercury's good vibes. We've sailed on Mercury three times now and it's by far our favorite ... some aesthetic factors but mostly, its crew seems REALLY to have its act together. (Especially our cruise last week. Can't believe it's been a week since our "last night" already!)

As for the cabin near Pavilion Nightclub, I can make one comment ... when we sailed Mercury's twin sister Galaxy last year, we had an inside cabin on deck 8, right over the aft nightclub, almost directly across from the line of FO's (now FV's). When the band played into the night, we could feel every thump of the bass line. Not HUGELY annoying but very noticeable. -- TR

Trcori... thanks. That's what I thought. I was also wondering why such a premium aft cabin would be available so close to sailing. My instincts were right.

On our first cruise we had an oceanview that was level with the jogging deck... we couldn't leave our curtain open... and we heard the joggers and walkers all the time. Needless to say I learned a lot:D and never used that TA again.

CuriousCat

Curiouscat

Here we go my dil comes from Plainview, her parents still live in plainview & my granddaughter was born in what was called Plainview hospital. It now is called North Shore/Plainview.

I am just cracking up reading all this.

My mom still lives in our Plainview home. I was born in the Mineola hospital cause back in those days Central General as it was called didn't exist. Now its LIJ/North Shore. Where does your son and DIL now? The houses are sooo expensive but you still live in the are so I'm sure ya know.:o

CuriousCat

What year did DIL graduate?

My mom still lives in our Plainview home. I was born in the Mineola hospital cause back in those days Central General as it was called didn't exist. Now its LIJ/North Shore. Where does your son and DIL now? The houses are sooo expensive but you still live in the are so I'm sure ya know.:o

CuriousCat

What year did DIL graduate?

Hi curiouscat

My ds, dil, & granddaughter live in bethpage close to S.Oyster bay rd, & stewart ave. I believe DIL graduated in 1990 I will have to check. You are correct on the pricing I could not afford to buy my house if I was looking to it buy now. I have lived here for 29 years. As you know from your mom it's the taxes that are killing us.

Lois R

Your right I must save myself for my future cruises. Although I was cracking up over the so call 2 day X sale. It seems the day of the sale my FO/SV went up 200.00 per person= 400.00. But they were giving you off 100.00 for that particuliar cruise. So if I booked the 9 day yesterday it would of cost me 300.00 more. By the way the FO/Sv's are all sold out along with all of the balony cabins except the CC's. The cc's went up 900.00 per person the day of the sale & 1200.00 per person since last week. But you are getting the 100.00 of per cabin. Does this crack you up?

Archived