which single cabin QE2

lynchy444

I have booked to take my dad on the qe2 in june 2008.i have book us both a MI cabin. can anyone advise me which are good single rooms to book. they have given us 1004 (96 sq ft)and 1010(100 sq ft) but we change these to deck 2, 3 or 4 if we want.i am a bit worried as i do not know what is next to 1004 and are the kitchen above us? If they are, do they cause any noise problems? I would be grateful for advise on any of the single rooms people have stayed in as all this is new to me and I would like to make this holiday special for my dad as my mum has recently pasted away.

When in June 2008? I am on the 25th June cruise going to Norway. Sorry I have not been in either of those rooms. I have had a look on the plans and they look like nice cabins. I usually go for a cabin on 2 deck, as its handy for the main rooms and no engine noise. 3 deck is ok, but I would not go for anything on 4 or 5 deck.

Hello Lynchy

My sympathies on your mother's passing.

Great for you to be taking your dad on QE2! Great for Dad too!

I have had #1011, which I liked very much, and would be the twin to #1010. The location is very good, very convenient, except for no access to the "A" stairway from One Deck.

Other MI's that I liked very much were #2048 and #4085, and #4183

Try to avoid MI cabins #3065 and #3068, due to excessive noise from machinery.

Last summer, I was lucky to be upgraded to cabin 1002 as a single traveler (I had booked an M1 on 4 deck). Every day, I walked past the open door to 1004 as the steward was making it up. It is truly snug ... for which read, "tiny," and somewhat oddly laid out as I recall. As simply a place to sleep, it would be OK. If one wanted to spend any time at all in the cabin, I would have found it claustrophobic.

I'm sorry I don't know about 1010, just down the hall.

HOWEVER: I did greatly enjoy being on 1 Deck, though it is a bit of a walk to everything, it is extremely quiet as there is a bulkhead right at the end of the corridor leading into "officer's country" (I think). There is a little trick to getting around: all the elevators do not stop at all decks ... i can't quite remember the "efficient" route I discovered to the Caronia dining room, but there is one.

As to other choices: I would avoid Deck 5 if at all possible ... it is a real "dormitory" and I find it unpleasant. Also, if there are tendering operations, there can be a lot of traffic through the corridors. Deck 4 is OK ... just ... the corridors are (or seem) wider and somehow it is not so oppressive as Deck 5 ... Decks 3 and 2 are about the same, and both fine.

Have you compared fares for a double cabin for a single traveller with those for a single cabin? I have always worked with a TA, who has always worked out a very favorable deal (nowhere near 200% single surcharge), and have also been upgraded a couple of times, though I am a World Club Platinum member, and that may have something to do with it.

Hope this is helpful.

There is a little trick to getting around: all the elevators do not stop at all decks ... i can't quite remember the "efficient" route I discovered to the Caronia dining room, but there is one.

The lift at D goes from decks 1, 2 and 3 to directly outside the Caronia.

I would avoid Deck 5 if at all possible ... it is a real "dormitory" and I find it unpleasant. Also, if there are tendering operations, there can be a lot of traffic through the corridors. Deck 4 is OK ... just ... the corridors are (or seem) wider and somehow it is not so oppressive as Deck 5 ... Decks 3 and 2 are about the same, and both fine.

The corridors get narrower as you go down the ship. Deck 1 has "boulevards" that you can stroll along (in the middle anyway, towards the bow and stern they narrow); Decks 2 and 3 have decent corridors but not quite as wide as deck 1; Deck 4's are narrow and Deck 5's are pokey in the extreme. It's a relic of the class system - the wide corridors were from the First Class sections of the ship, the narrow corridors were steerage:D

When in June 2008? I am on the 25th June cruise going to Norway. Sorry I have not been in either of those rooms. I have had a look on the plans and they look like nice cabins. I usually go for a cabin on 2 deck, as its handy for the main rooms and no engine noise. 3 deck is ok, but I would not go for anything on 4 or 5 deck.

thanks for replying so quickly .unfortunately we will be on a different cruise than you ,as we are going the begining of june.

• 3 weeks later...
what do you think about 1004 should i change it some on deck 2 are available 2022 or 2014 are not booked yet

At 96 sq ft it's not the biggest MI but it's amongst them. 2022 is 79 sq ft - that is one of the smallest so is 2014. I'd stay with 1004.

• 2 weeks later...
This cabin is noisy from 6am till 12 midday ,the dish washer is used at this time and is a nuisence ,1011 is a nice cabin as is 1010 .:)

thanks for the information i wiil change .how did you know about the dihwasher did you stay in this room or did someone tell you ?

Hi,a friend was in it late last year, it took him 3 days to get it changed to another cabin,he changed to 2049,outside the computer room,which was fine.

I,ve been in both 1010 and 1011 ,they are fine, in fact the shower room large enough to store my suitcase in as there is a rather small wardrobe.

Hope you have a nice cruise.::)

Archived