Horsebay - Bermuda Question

njfirstimer

I'm on the CP on 7/14 and was thinking of going to Horseshoe Bay. I read stories that it's usually unbelievably crowded. I'd really would like to go there but I don't want to deal with crowds. Does anyone tell me about their experience there?

Thanks

It depends on how many ships are in port. We have never felt uncomfortable there and I don't like too many people around. It is a beautiful beach. You should definitely go!

F

I'm on the CP on 7/14 and was thinking of going to Horseshoe Bay. I read stories that it's usually unbelievably crowded. I'd really would like to go there but I don't want to deal with crowds. Does anyone tell me about their experience there?

Thanks

I'm on the CP on 7/14 too, I plan on going to Horseshoe first thing... I hear it's less crowded earlier on....

Horseshoe Bay is unbelievably beautiful and well worth going to even when it's crowded. We usually go early in the day so it's usually less crowded when we're there. By the time we leave in early afternoon, it's crowded but there's always enough room. I have never felt uncomfortable from the crowds there.

We were on the Crown last summer. Yes, Horseshoe Bay was crowded, but it is a beautiful beach and the crowds did not ruin our visit in any way. I would definitely recommend a visit there. We took the bus and it was no problem at all (actually, we bought an all day pass, started with the ferry over to Hamilton and then got on the bus to Horseshoe.) Here's a link to our webshots: http://travel.webshots.com/album/553881761QUitsd?start=0. Pictures 14-21 are of Horseshoe Bay. We were traveling with DD, and I was so busy taking pictures that I didn't make it into too many!!

We went to Horseshoe Bay when there were three ships in port. We set out around 9 in the morning and it only got a little crowded after noon. If you go early enough you can probably find a more secluded spot among the rocks.

Horseshoe Bay on a busy day....

The crowded part tends to be near the western end (the entrance) if you go halfway down the beach it is rarely crowded. If you go expoloring and walk east there are some beautiful bays.

Horsheshoe-bay.jpg.28b381a8bf10a2a01c4d5dcbb8f88e0a.jpg

If there are many ships in port, try going to John Smith Bay beach which is just south of Harrington Sound on bus route 1. It is just as nice as Horseshoe Bay (pink sand, size etc.) and has some small caves at it's west end to explore and for kids to play in. It is where the locals go to avoid the tourists.

Even when the main part of the beach is crowded, you can always walk to the left and find a lot of secluded private beach areas. It is my favorite beach in all the world (of those that I've seen so far, anyway)! You should absolutely go.

We just got back from teh NCL crown today. I wouldn't miss horseshoe bay. It was crowded but not not where you coulnd't find a place to sit or move around. We took a cab from the pier. It was about $ 15 eaach way. Thje cab can fit up to six people. We tried to get the bus but you had to have exact change and found it easier to cab it!

We just got back from teh NCL crown today. I wouldn't miss horseshoe bay. It was crowded but not not where you coulnd't find a place to sit or move around. We took a cab from the pier. It was about $ 15 eaach way. Thje cab can fit up to six people. We tried to get the bus but you had to have exact change and found it easier to cab it!

Where did you take the cab from?

When we went to Horseshoe Bay in June, we were practically the only people there. For a while we had to entire beach area to ourselves. The best thing to do is go early to beat the crowds. I didn't realize at the time how lucky we were!

Here are some photos.

http://www.familytravelfun.com/horseshoe-bay-bermuda-picture.html

i notice a lot of people are saying to get there early to beat the crowds. you could also get there a little later after the crowds. we got there around 3:00 and it was a little crowded, but most people were gone by 5:00 even though it's still really nice out till like 7:00. and like they said, if it is too crowded, just keep walking to the left through the rocks and there are plenty of little, secluded beaches

I think crowded is pretty relative b/c when we went in June 2002, people were complaining on the way back about how "crowded" Horseshoe Bay was. Well, DH and I kinda looked at each other and wondered if they were at the same beach as us b/c it was not crowded, by our standards. We are used the beaches in NJ and those are crowded! Just walk away from the entrance and it's practically deserted!!

I heard you can rent chairs and umbrellas for the day. Plus there's concension stand selling food and beverages. Is that correct? Would you all know the prices? Thanks!

Prices for what? The chairs are $10 plus a $5 deposit you get back when you return the chair. Umbrellas also rent for $10 plus a $5 deposit.

Prices for what? The chairs are $10 plus a $5 deposit you get back when you return the chair. Umbrellas also rent for $10 plus a $5 deposit.

Thanks Charles, exactly the info I was looking. :)

Just getting back from Bermuda.. We arrived at Horseshoe Beach around 9:45 am and stayed until 11:30 it was kinda overcast but still nice. We had the beach to ourselves, I counted 8 people when we got there. It was SO nice! I highly recommend it!!!!! The only reason we left it started to rain.

We go to Horseshoe Bay every time we visit Bermuda and have learned that it is better to go in the morning as the crowds start forming around midday. If it looks crowded when you get there, keep walking down to the left; the crowds thin out the farther you get from the entrance.

And, yes, the sand really is pink and oh so soft!

Archived