QE2 - do I believe the evening attire list?

Norfolk Brit

As far as I am concerned Cunard have previous form regarding the pre-advised dress code, so I now view their pronouncements with healthy scepticism. Our pre-cruise documents state 9 informal (or semi-formal, or whatever they are called on Tuesdays) and 6 formals. There are no elegant casual nights, not even the first and last nights.

Does this look right for a cruise on QE2?

Its:

Formal

Semi-Formal

Elegant-Formal

Formal-Elegant

Semi-Elegant

Elegant-Informal

Elegant-Casual

Semi-Casual*

Informal

Formal-Informal

Semi-Informal

Casual-Informal

Casual

Formal-Casual

Semi-Casual-Informal

Clear? I shall be conducting a quiz later........:rolleyes:

Peter

*I heard this one discussed in some earnestness on the QM2....I was too well behaved to add to their confusion......

There are no elegant casual nights, not even the first and last nights.

I wouldn't expect either the first or last nights to be elegant casual (:eek: ) on QE2 at any rate. Unless you have a sailing after six in the evening I wouldn't expect you to have to endure any of them at all.

It's always wise to allow for some flexibility in dress codes - sometimes departure times and ports are changed. Try to pack one or two outfits that will do as either formal or informal, that way you can still stick to the dress code if there is a last minute change.

Its:

Formal

Semi-Formal

Elegant-Formal

Formal-Elegant

Semi-Elegant

Elegant-Informal

Elegant-Casual

Semi-Casual*

Informal

Formal-Informal

Semi-Informal

Casual-Informal

Casual

Formal-Casual

Semi-Casual-Informal

Peter

*I heard this one discussed in some earnestness on the QM2....I was too well behaved to add to their confusion......

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!

we have six formal, nine informal and one elegant casual.

the casual one is because we are leaving gibralter late so malcolm is right, the first and last nights of my cruise at least are informal.

glenn.

There are no elegant casual nights, not even the first and last nights.

Does this look right for a cruise on QE2?

Yes, it looks rights. First and last night on the QE2 are informal. Fortunately there are many QE2 cruises without casual nights of any kind.

It's always wise to allow for some flexibility in dress codes - sometimes departure times and ports are changed.

Thanks Malcolm, but last time they changed two semi-formal into six the second we boarded and, weeks later, I am still lying in the recovery position. And they did it just for a laugh; the departure times and ports changed not one iota.

Flexibly but elegantly casually semi-formally yours, Mary

Peter, you cannot possibly give a quiz until you have supplied us with definitions for your terms. For example, under which category would I wear sequined thongs? (as in SHOES, not even going to think about the other possibility)

People make fun of the term "elegant casual," but I think the cruise lines have taken to using that term because just plain "casual" was sliding into downright sloppy.

Kathy (who has a separate closet for cruise clothing and loves those formal nights)

Its:

Formal

Semi-Formal

Elegant-Formal

Formal-Elegant

Semi-Elegant

Elegant-Informal

Elegant-Casual

Semi-Casual*

Informal

Formal-Informal

Semi-Informal

Casual-Informal

Casual

Formal-Casual

Semi-Casual-Informal

Peter

Well...thank you for this Peter...so much clearer now. I could never remember if it was "formally-informal" or "Informally-formal"....Thankfully I pack enough for them all...or so my husband will tell you! :rolleyes: I am having a bit of trouble with 'semi-elegant" tho...is that when I wear the sequined thongs?

Such a helpful list...make sure no one from Cunard shoreside gets ahold of this....imagine how they could confuse us then!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Formal

Semi-Formal

Elegant-Formal

Formal-Elegant

Semi-Elegant

Elegant-Informal

Elegant-Casual

Semi-Casual*

Informal

Formal-Informal

Semi-Informal

Casual-Informal

Casual

Formal-Casual

Semi-Casual-Informal

Sounds like those people ordering coffee in Starbucks of whom we always make fun: "I'll have a half caff/half decaf double tall mochachino with non-fat whip and sprinkles":eek: Don't drink the evil brew myself, but c'mon....

Just as I detest the devotion to coffee (being allergic to it, myself) I detest the comment oft heard that if only they'd "change 'informal' to 'semi-formal,' it would all be so clear..." What IS 'semi formal?' Elegant truck driving clothes? Short trousers and a top hat? The aforementioned sequined thong? Blech!!!!!

Andrew

Formal

Semi-Formal

Elegant-Formal

Formal-Elegant

Semi-Elegant

Elegant-Informal

Elegant-Casual

Semi-Casual*

Informal

Formal-Informal

Semi-Informal

Casual-Informal

Casual

Formal-Casual

Semi-Casual-Informal

A good list, Peter, but too long for my poor memory. I make do with:

Formal

Formal-lite

Formal-NOT

Paul

A good list, Peter, but too long for my poor memory. I make do with:

Formal

Formal-lite

Formal-NOT

Paul

You can cut it down even further - Formal and formalish.:D (Formal is a Dress suit, whilst formalish is a lounge suit):)

Hmmm....I think if I bought every pair of flip flops they are selling at the grocery store I would have something for at least half of the categories, including formal. There are at least two styles with sequins already attached.

Thanks, Peter!

As far as I am concerned Cunard have previous form regarding the pre-advised dress code, so I now view their pronouncements with healthy scepticism.

I've been thinking Mary: All you can do to make sure you've got the correct clothes if to persuade Alan to buy another few suitcases.:)

I've been thinking Mary: All you can do to make sure you've got the correct clothes if to persuade Alan to buy another few suitcases.:)

But.........they won't go in his car (bought deliberately, I suspect, to preclude this cunning plan).

EEEK! And to think now I have to worry about being under Malcolm's watchful eye on the last crossing.....oh, well, it won't matter....I'll just blend in with all the other ghastly Americans.....I'm from California...is there such a thing as "tie-dyed formal?" Very Jerry Garcia, don't you think?

Peter, did you forget that, in the U.S., we also have "Western Formal?" I believe it was on the France where a mother and daughter brought the two grandsons to dinner wearing tan jackets and trousers...both with fringe, and with matching cowboy hats.....erhm....delightful. Surprised they didn't enter the dining room in a surrey....

Andrew

Well...thank you for this Peter...so much clearer now. I could never remember if it was "formally-informal" or "Informally-formal"....Thankfully I pack enough for them all...or so my husband will tell you! :rolleyes: I am having a bit of trouble with 'semi-elegant" tho...is that when I wear the sequined thongs?

Such a helpful list...make sure no one from Cunard shoreside gets ahold of this....imagine how they could confuse us then!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Penny, How about this.

Bring a big suitcase full of cloth and notions and a sewing machine.

As for cowboy formal, don't forget the string tie! (or bolo tie!)

Maybe we could start a separate thread on Beehive Hairdo's (ala Hairspray?)

Karie,

causing trouble again! <G>

What IS 'semi formal?' Elegant truck driving clothes? Short trousers and a top hat? The aforementioned sequined thong? Blech!!!!!

Andrew

Andrew, where's your sense of style! I think you gave me some ideas for the next QE2 trip!;)

And......yeah..............I hate ordering from Starbucks and all its imitators. Whatever happened to "coffee"?

David

Who bought a belt and two pairs of socks for his next trip!

Its:

Formal

Semi-Formal

Elegant-Formal

Formal-Elegant

Semi-Elegant

Elegant-Informal

Elegant-Casual

Semi-Casual*

Informal

Formal-Informal

Semi-Informal

Casual-Informal

Casual

Formal-Casual

Semi-Casual-Informal

Peter

BRILLIANT!

Maybe we could start a separate thread on Beehive Hairdo's (ala Hairspray?)

It's pretty hard to tease the three hairs that stretch across my pate into a beehive, but if it's required to go with the dresscode, I'll do my best...

Andrew

It's pretty hard to tease the three hairs that stretch across my pate into a beehive, but if it's required to go with the dresscode, I'll do my best...

Andrew

Perhaps you could do the Anthill style instead? (doh!)

Archived