Are kids allowed to stay on the ship?

My mum and dad want to go on a shore excursion without us. So are they allowed to leave me (13) and my sister (10) on the ship? I am asking this because on some cruise lines they let you but some make sure an adult is still on the ship with you. Any help please:D

Yes it's allowed. Is it recomended? That's a whole other discussion. ;) :D

VERY true! I wouldn't even leave my DD(8) in Adventure Ocean without me on the ship....nevermind leaving my kids to wander ANYWHERE on the ship themselves! No way! :p

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would only be willing to leave them on the shp if I could guarantee that there was no way they could deboard the ship. Can the purser's desk mark the sail card so that they cannot deboard?

Even so, I doubt I would want to leave kids under about the age of 15 or 16 alone on the ship with no guardian. For me, they would either go on the excursion or have to be in the AO under supervision or one of us wouldn't go.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would only be willing to leave them on the shp if I could guarantee that there was no way they could deboard the ship. Can the purser's desk mark the sail card so that they cannot deboard?

Even so, I doubt I would want to leave kids under about the age of 15 or 16 alone on the ship with no guardian. For me, they would either go on the excursion or have to be in the AO under supervision or one of us wouldn't go.

Just my 2 cents.

Here's the crazy scoop....at 10 and 13 the OP and sibling would be allowed to sign themselves out. Then by blending in with another adult couple WOULD be able to get off the ship without the parents knowing it.

I don't think there is a system in place for stopping them. Think about it, the kid's cards go into the scanner but they don't match it to parents cards.

Here is the latest discussion about this topic on the Family Board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=583138

Here's the crazy scoop....at 10 and 13 the OP and sibling would be allowed to sign themselves out. Then by blending in with another adult couple WOULD be able to get off the ship without the parents knowing it.

I don't think there is a system in place for stopping them. Think about it, the kid's cards go into the scanner but they don't match it to parents cards.

Here is the latest discussion about this topic on the Family Board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=583138

Thanks. As always, CC is the best source for cruising info! And the link was perfect. I loved seeing the different perspectives from parents who have done different things. The best way to evaluate is to consider each situation and your personal comfort level as a parent.

Thanks. As always, CC is the best source for cruising info!

Not a problem :D

BTW, totally OT but I was just in your neck of the woods (Ocean City Maryland) for the week of Father's Day. Love it there. :D

(So sad though, a 19 year old college student drown ON Father's Day right in front of our hotel :( )

My mum and dad want to go on a shore excursion without us. So are they allowed to leave me (13) and my sister (10) on the ship? I am asking this because on some cruise lines they let you but some make sure an adult is still on the ship with you. Any help please:D

Try this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=558213

I left my 15yr old on board, their were teen activities he wanted to participate in instead of getting off the ship in Costa Maya......I only allowed him to because he is very responsible and told him he was under no circumstances to leave the ship. My 78yr old grandma stayed on this day too, so he had a family member to call on if he needed anything.

Not a problem :D

BTW, totally OT but I was just in your neck of the woods (Ocean City Maryland) for the week of Father's Day. Love it there. :D

(So sad though, a 19 year old college student drown ON Father's Day right in front of our hotel :( )

Sorry to hear about the tragedy. Although for some parts of the country, OC would be considered our neck of the woods, I'm actually in suburban Washington DC (I live about 4 miles outside the Washington Beltway) so I only live about 50 miles closer to OC than I live to you! :)

Archived