Alaska Things You Liked The Most In Each Port For Cheap

carol459

this is our 3rd cruise to Alaska....did planned port tours other two

so this one we are looking for what others liked as their favorite things they di on their own for cheap or came across

we want to see as much wildlife as possible

we are the polar bear express grp sept 14th Radiance of the seas

looking forward to your fond memories to share

Carol

this is our 3rd cruise to Alaska....did planned port tours other two

so this one we are looking for what others liked as their favorite things they di on their own for cheap or came across

we want to see as much wildlife as possible

we are the polar bear express grp sept 14th Radiance of the seas

looking forward to your fond memories to share

Carol

Skagway hiking, Lower Dewey Lake Trail. Trailhead right in town, great scenery, not too difficult, free! :D

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totembgh.htm

Ketchikan, take the city bus to Totem Bight, print out and bring with you the totem guidesheet.

Skagway- the Park Service Visitor center is a gem, several free activities.

Juneau the $12 round trip Mendenhall shuttle bus is great if of interest. Otherwise consider the city bus, to the Brewery, Hatchery, etc.

All have wonderful walking tours to consider, with plenty of hidden attractions. Head to your library for Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have walking tours listed to consider.

Skagway - National Park historic walking tour and movie (free). Short tour of Red Onion brothel ($5). Car rental to Yukon (relatively cheap per person) followed by exploring the cemetery (free). Haines fast ferry ($50something pp) and walking along remains of Ft.Wm.Seward (free) then exploring some of Haines (free).

Ketchikan - walking along Creek Street. Hike up Married Man's trail (both free). Totem viewing on walks (free). Dolly's house tour ($5).

Juneau - Mendenhall bus transfer ($12ppRT), Mt.Roberts tram, not real cheap around $25, but not bad for all day access. Real cheap? City bus ride to see Juneau 'beyond the tourist realm':) (couple 'a dollars).

You've got good advise so far

Skagway--National Park tour is very informative and free

Juneau--we took the city bus and toured the Glacier Gardens--not cheap, but cheaper than the Mt. Robert's Tram and beautiful, and Mendenhall Glacier(very cheap by city bus)

If you are on Vision and going to Prince Rupert, BC--Museum of Northern BC is great and cheap.

Real cheap? City bus ride to see Juneau 'beyond the tourist realm':) (couple 'a dollars).

Heh! I particularly like to see the tourists' expressions when the bus stops at the prison. :p

If you've done all the big sights, but don't want to wander far afield, there's some hidden sights downtown.

The Sealaska building, that big tin can looking building across from The Wharf, usually has some nice Native crafts on display in their lobby. In the past, they've even had carvers at work.

The State Office Building, the really big ugly brown building across from the City Museum, has some things inside. There's a huge hunk o' jade, a really beautiful old totem pole, with the story explained, one of our many stuffed bears, and the State Library and Archives usually has some nice photo display outside. There's a free concert on an old movie house organ on Fridays, I believe, at noon. The views from the upper decks are great, assuming it's not pouring.

Further on past the State Museum, the Federal Building has a tiny free museum with some really nice Native Peoples' pieces. There's also a skin boat frame outside, next to the oddity, the pelican statue. (Odd because we have no pelicans in AK. Someone offered us it, and we took it.) I assume both gov't buildings are only open weekdays, but don't hold me to that.

Cope Park is tucked up against the hillside, off Calhoun Street. It's got a lovely view of Gold Creek as it pounds down from the mountains.

Take the bus to Douglas, $1.50 each way. It's a 20 minute ride. Get off where the route ends and turns around, and walk the Treadwell Mine trail. This is where I take every visitor first, to get the kinks out of their legs without stress. Easy hills, great water and mountain views and now the zipline zips over top at the trail's end. Further back towards Douglas, Sandy Beach is nice for strolling and people/dog watching. Eat lunch at the Douglas Cafe, or for wonderful views, The Island Pub on Second Street. Not a teeshirt/jewelry shop in sight, meaning you'd be the only tourist out there. :D

Tee Harbor, thanks for the tips. My DD and I have a car rental that day and plan to go exploring so you mentioned a couple of things we'll add to the list. :) We're in port from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., so we plan to take advantage of it!

...next to the oddity, the pelican statue. (Odd because we have no pelicans in AK. Someone offered us it, and we took it.)

There's actually a story behind this one. When we drove by it on the way to our excursion in Juneau, the guide (a Juneau native) told us that the statue that was ordered was an eagle. The eagle statue and Florida's pelican statue were completed at the same time and shipped to the wrong places. Florida liked the eagle statue and decided to keep it and Juneau was stuck with "the oddity!"

I looked up Juneau trivia and found the same explanation on a couple of sites:

A large fountain featuring a bronze statue of pelicans, intended for delivery to the state of Florida, stands in front of the Federal Building in Juneau. Pelicans are not indigenous to the state of Alaska; the proper artwork (an eagle) was delivered to Florida by mistake.

At least Juneauns (or is in Juneau-ites? ;)) have a funny story to tell about how you ended up with pelicans in front of the State Office Building! :D

Cheers!

Jayne

thanks to all for your memories etc....we are really getting lots of info and going to use

we will be in ALASKA in sept...jope the weather is ok.been 1st time in may 80 i jumeau then in aug lots of rain and mist and fog

so sept we will ???????????

carol

Tee Harbor, thanks for the tips. My DD and I have a car rental that day and plan to go exploring so you mentioned a couple of things we'll add to the list. :) We're in port from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., so we plan to take advantage of it!

Feel free to ask specific questions about your drive. Getting a car is a great opportunity to see some of the hidden corners. Post or email to skagway65@yahoo.com

That's such a typically Alaska sort of story about the pelican statue. I can imagine the grand unveiling, with the resulting confused expressions, then shrugs. Trust me, with the cost of shipping, you learn to make do with what you get, rather than returning things.

There's also a town of Pelican, but again, no pelicans there. The fisherman who founded the place named it after his boat.

Carol: The weather can be dicey in September. If you're lucky, there's some fall color before rain and wind carries off the leaves. But it can be rainy, windy, and cooler, in the 50's. Bring that raincoat for sure!

Feel free to ask specific questions about your drive. Getting a car is a great opportunity to see some of the hidden corners. Post or email to skagway65@yahoo.com

Thanks! We plan to get off the ship relatively early so we can take full advantage of our long time in port. We're renting from Rent a Wreck and they'll pick us up and take us to their office. We plan to see the following, so please chime in if there's something we're missing. BTW, it'll be me and DD (age 12) and maybe DH--will just depend on his mood (for him, the ship is the destination so he doesn't always go into port with us). My list is from memory since I don't have my cruise file at hand right now, so I might be forgetting something...

• Glacier Gardens
  • Mendenhall (I'm figuring we'll spend at least a couple of hours here and do a little hiking)
  • Auke Bay
  • Shrine of St. Theresa
  • Douglas Island

We'll be there until 11:00 p.m., so I'm wondering if there's anything we should save until the evening (what does one do in Juneau in the evening?) or anything else we shouldn't miss??? Any recommendations for something a 12-year-old girl would like are welcome. BTW, DD is an animal lover, so anyplace you'd recommend where we have a good chance of seeing some wildlife?? I'm assuming we can't check out the saloon, so I'll find another port to sample Alaskan beer. ;)

Thanks for the help! :D

Jayne

We are booked on RCI 'Seranade of the Seas' 14 night from San Francisco 03 May 2008. We should arrive in Alaska waters 08 May visiting Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard glacier, and Sitka.

Despite 25 years in the airline industry none of us has ever been to Alaska so we are looking forward to it. I appreciate the suggestions for unusual, inexpensive things to do and look forward to seeing more.

What should we expect for weather, crowds, etc?

John

In Seward, be sure to visit the Sealife Center. This place should help satisfy your desire to get "up close and personal" with local wildlife.

The State Museum in Juneau is very interesting and worthwhile.

Unless you've never seen a historic house in your life, don't bother with the Russina Bishop's House in Sitka. It's not particularly impressive and, for us, turned out to be a waste of time.

Leo

Thanks! We plan to get off the ship relatively early so we can take full advantage of our long time in port. We're renting from Rent a Wreck and they'll pick us up and take us to their office.

Did they tell you their office closes at 6pm? You can drop your car off downtown, though, in the evening, for more money, naturally.

We'll be there until 11:00 p.m., so I'm wondering if there's anything we should save until the evening (what does one do in Juneau in the evening?) or anything else we shouldn't miss???

If you want to do some souvenir shopping, save it until the evening. Those stores don't close until the last ship pulls out. I don't see what month you're visiting, but the sun doesn't set until later, obviously. I often go hiking in the evening, under that wonderful late day light. Just bring mosquito repellent! They love the later day too!

I'm assuming we can't check out the saloon, so I'll find another port to sample Alaskan beer.

At the Red Dog, they have a bouncer right at the door. Most 'regular' bars are much more loose. I still see young children in them. All the restaurants with a wine and beer license will serve Alaska Brewing's beer.

Okay, some additional ideas:

When picking up your car, be sure to get the free Juneau map. It's actually pretty good; the only one locals have too. Perhaps, if you haven't had breakfast, take a minute over coffee to orient yourself. If you turn right back onto Glacier Hwy, then left at the next light, then right at the light after that, there's a Heritage Coffee cafe on the left; they have hot food and pastries.

I'd suggest going first to the glacier, in a vain attempt to miss the crowds. The visitor's center has a lot of hands on stuff of interest to kids. The East Glacier trail is accessed around the back of the center. If you want to go to the West Glacier trail, search under my name, and I did a detailed reply with info.

Take the Back Loop Rd to Auke Bay. Have you considered renting a kayak there? http://www.juneaukayak.com/index.html It's not super expensive and pretty easy. (That's another thread I did with more detail.) The Hot Bite, down by the harbor, is a great lunch spot.

Even if you don't kayak, it's worth taking some time hanging out. To me, getting a car gives you the luxury to slow down, if that makes sense. Take some time to peer over the dock. I've seen harbor seals there, jellyfish, huge salmon swimming right under the surface. Watch for eagles in the shoreline trees. Animals appear, but it takes some waiting and watching. I think it'd be fun to put your daughter on animal watch as you drive, both to see things and for safety! Watch the sky for eagles and the roadside for sudden movements.

I'll never forget this tourist I saw at Glacier Gardens. She can storming up to the guide on the mountain top platform, and said, "Are there any eagles here?" He stuttered out, "No--" and she turned on her heel and flopped back into the cart. If only she'd looked out the window on the tour bus coming there, she probably would have seen one. The whole area through the wetland in the Lemon Creek area is good for eagle viewing.

A trail I think your daughter may enjoy is behind the Auke Bay Grade School. The school's on the right off Glacier Hwy. Park and go up the stairs to the left of the building. (The playground will give your daughter pause, I'm sure! All gravel!) There's an entry in the fence. Follow the little paths back through the woods. This trail was created by a retired teacher for the children and it has that wonderful, tea party with the teddy bears feel. If you go to the right, you're in a muskeg meadow, and trails to the left lead into the woods. Be careful, though, a bridge was out over the creek. Go around the fallen tree to the right before the bridge, and there's a delightful set of benches waiting for that tea party. You can cross the shallow stream there. If the blueberries are ripe, feel free to eat up!

I love the Shrine of St. Terese, and have seen whales and sea lions off shore. It's another good spot for eagles.

I'd go to Glacier Gardens on the way back to town. Turn off of Egan Expressway at the Fred Meyer store, then right at the stop sign. It's got a small sign on the left side of the road about 1/2 mile along.

After leaving the gardens, turn left back onto Old Glacier Hwy. You can't turn left back onto Egan until you get to the light. Stop at the salmon hatchery. http://dipac.net/visitor.htm Turn right at the stop light next to Channel Drive. There's a fish ladder with viewing windows, touch pools, a small aquarium, and I've seen seals right there, along with tons of eagles. If your daughter would enjoy it, there's rental fishing poles.

Besides the Treadwell Mine trail I mentioned up thread, you can go out the road on North Douglas, and there's a very good trail down to the water, look for the parking area at about mile 12. This is a good place for tide pool peeking, if it's low. However, DO NOT go to the island if the land bridge is above water. People get stuck out there all the time.

Perhaps, after dinner, if you have the energy, you can drive up above town, to the Gold Creek Basin. Perseverance Trail is a big climb before leveling out into beautiful meadows, but the views are great on the way up. But if you prefer something simpler, there's the Flume Trail. After crossing the wooden bridge, park before the next bridge in the turnout. There's a little trail going to a footbridge over the creek. Turn left and follow the trail until it becomes a wooden covered flume.

With SE AK touring, always have a backup, it's pouring rain, plan, like doing the hatchery and museums--they all have exhibits targeting young people. But even if it's pouring when you get the car, ask the ladies there what the *real* outlook on the weather is. Locals are pretty good at calling it.

Hope that helps! I'm sure you won't be able to do it all, but having options is always good, imo.

Tee harbor--thank you so much!! This is so helpful! I'll definitely print this out and take it with me, and also look up your other threads. Thanks especially for including things that will be of interest to my DD. I appreciate that--you're so aware of them, I'm thinking you must have children.

Did they tell you their office closes at 6pm? You can drop your car off downtown, though, in the evening, for more money, naturally. Yes, they did tell us. I've already told them we'll be dropping it off downtown! It's only $15, so I figure that's the way to go since we're in port until 11:00 p.m.

If you want to do some souvenir shopping, save it until the evening. Those stores don't close until the last ship pulls out. I meant to ask you about that--thanks for mentioning it. We'll save the shopping until evening then--I should be good and tired then, so maybe I won't spend much $$. That would make DH happy! :D:D I don't see what month you're visiting, but the sun doesn't set until later, obviously. We'll be there in August. I often go hiking in the evening, under that wonderful late day light. Just bring mosquito repellent! They love the later day too!

At the Red Dog, they have a bouncer right at the door. Most 'regular' bars are much more loose. I still see young children in them. All the restaurants with a wine and beer license will serve Alaska Brewing's beer.

Okay, some additional ideas:

When picking up your car, be sure to get the free Juneau map. Definitely will. When I called to rent the car I asked about maps and they said they have them and they'll give us directions. It's actually pretty good; the only one locals have too. Perhaps, if you haven't had breakfast, take a minute over coffee to orient yourself. If you turn right back onto Glacier Hwy, then left at the next light, then right at the light after that, there's a Heritage Coffee cafe on the left; they have hot food and pastries.

I'd suggest going first to the glacier, in a vain attempt to miss the crowds. The visitor's center has a lot of hands on stuff of interest to kids. The East Glacier trail is accessed around the back of the center. If you want to go to the West Glacier trail, search under my name, and I did a detailed reply with info.

Take the Back Loop Rd to Auke Bay. Have you considered renting a kayak there? http://www.juneaukayak.com/index.html It's not super expensive and pretty easy. (That's another thread I did with more detail.) The Hot Bite, down by the harbor, is a great lunch spot.

Even if you don't kayak, it's worth taking some time hanging out. To me, getting a car gives you the luxury to slow down, if that makes sense. Take some time to peer over the dock. I've seen harbor seals there, jellyfish, huge salmon swimming right under the surface. Watch for eagles in the shoreline trees. Animals appear, but it takes some waiting and watching. I think it'd be fun to put your daughter on animal watch as you drive, both to see things and for safety! Watch the sky for eagles and the roadside for sudden movements.

I'll never forget this tourist I saw at Glacier Gardens. She can storming up to the guide on the mountain top platform, and said, "Are there any eagles here?" He stuttered out, "No--" and she turned on her heel and flopped back into the cart. If only she'd looked out the window on the tour bus coming there, she probably would have seen one. The whole area through the wetland in the Lemon Creek area is good for eagle viewing.

A trail I think your daughter may enjoy is behind the Auke Bay Grade School. The school's on the right off Glacier Hwy. Park and go up the stairs to the left of the building. (The playground will give your daughter pause, I'm sure! All gravel!) There's an entry in the fence. Follow the little paths back through the woods. This trail was created by a retired teacher for the children and it has that wonderful, tea party with the teddy bears feel. If you go to the right, you're in a muskeg meadow, and trails to the left lead into the woods. Be careful, though, a bridge was out over the creek. Go around the fallen tree to the right before the bridge, and there's a delightful set of benches waiting for that tea party. You can cross the shallow stream there. If the blueberries are ripe, feel free to eat up!

I love the Shrine of St. Terese, and have seen whales and sea lions off shore. It's another good spot for eagles.

I'd go to Glacier Gardens on the way back to town. Turn off of Egan Expressway at the Fred Meyer store, then right at the stop sign. It's got a small sign on the left side of the road about 1/2 mile along.

After leaving the gardens, turn left back onto Old Glacier Hwy. You can't turn left back onto Egan until you get to the light. Stop at the salmon hatchery. http://dipac.net/visitor.htm Turn right at the stop light next to Channel Drive. There's a fish ladder with viewing windows, touch pools, a small aquarium, and I've seen seals right there, along with tons of eagles. If your daughter would enjoy it, there's rental fishing poles.

Besides the Treadwell Mine trail I mentioned up thread, you can go out the road on North Douglas, and there's a very good trail down to the water, look for the parking area at about mile 12. This is a good place for tide pool peeking, if it's low. However, DO NOT go to the island if the land bridge is above water. People get stuck out there all the time.

Perhaps, after dinner, if you have the energy, you can drive up above town, to the Gold Creek Basin. Perseverance Trail is a big climb before leveling out into beautiful meadows, but the views are great on the way up. But if you prefer something simpler, there's the Flume Trail. After crossing the wooden bridge, park before the next bridge in the turnout. There's a little trail going to a footbridge over the creek. Turn left and follow the trail until it becomes a wooden covered flume.

With SE AK touring, always have a backup, it's pouring rain, plan, like doing the hatchery and museums--they all have exhibits targeting young people. But even if it's pouring when you get the car, ask the ladies there what the *real* outlook on the weather is. Locals are pretty good at calling it.

Hope that helps! I'm sure you won't be able to do it all, but having options is always good, imo.

Again, thanks so much!

Regards,

Jayne

Oops! Forgot to check back on this thread!

Thanks especially for including things that will be of interest to my DD. I appreciate that--you're so aware of them, I'm thinking you must have children.

No, but I was a 12 year old girl once! :D

Just wanted to clarify that not every gift shop will be open downtown, but big places like Juneau Shirt Company, that's sort of a Walmart of souvenirs, should be. And most of the sights you'll be visiting have gift shops.

OH! And for refueling your rental, There's only two gas stations downtown. On is right off of Egan at the light for the Douglas bridge. Cheapest grade was $3.47 yesterday. :eek: There's another station across from the Federal building, but I couldn't see a posted price as I went past. Bad sign? There's also a station in Douglas the town.

The cheapest prices are at Fred Meyer and Safeway--if you have its club card. The Costco doesn't have gas.

Have a great time!

Oops! Forgot to check back on this thread!

No, but I was a 12 year old girl once! :D

Just wanted to clarify that not every gift shop will be open downtown, but big places like Juneau Shirt Company, that's sort of a Walmart of souvenirs, should be. And most of the sights you'll be visiting have gift shops.

OH! And for refueling your rental, There's only two gas stations downtown. On is right off of Egan at the light for the Douglas bridge. Cheapest grade was $3.47 yesterday. :eek: There's another station across from the Federal building, but I couldn't see a posted price as I went past. Bad sign? There's also a station in Douglas the town.

The cheapest prices are at Fred Meyer and Safeway--if you have its club card. The Costco doesn't have gas.

Have a great time!

Thank you. I really appreciate your taking the time and giving so much detail. It's been six years since we've been to Alaska and we're so excited about seeing your beautiful state again (or at least a small portion of it :)).

Regards,

Jayne

Archived