Using cell phones on the ship?

HJK001

We're sailing on the Oosterdam (July 14) for the Inside Passage (Alaska). Is that considered U.S. waters? My carrier (Verizon) says that if I use my phone on the ship, there will be a $2.49/minute charge. But when I read the HAL paperwork, it appears they turn off their "tower" when they get to port and then you hook up to the land towers? Is that correct? So, if I want to call my kids, I need to wait until I get to a port or pay $2.49/minute from the ship?

I love my babies, but at that rate, I'll go broke just listening to Grandma (M-I-L) telling me all the stories I'm missing while away!!! :rolleyes:

:p

Disney Wonder 10/2005

HAL Oosterdam 7/2007

Disney Magic 10/2007

http://www.*****/ticker/image.php?code=0XT1324273Xk17Xs23XCruise

it is easy with verizon. Just call while in port. you will have service with verizon at most of your ports. No problem:D

when your phone is on the ships tower it will say roaming. when its in verizons service it will say, extended service area.

Good question. I did call Verizon (that's what we have). They simply said there would be roaming if we were in Canadian waters. Nothing about, say, being out at sea, still in U.S. waters. Guess, to be safe, I'll just call home when we're in port. Do you happen to know if the cell phone will say "roaming"? I hope so, because I'd really hate to be using the phone not knowing I'm being charged roaming rates. Let me know if you find out anything different.

Thanks much!

Caroline

So if it says "roaming", I'll know not to use it!

The beauty of a 15-year anniversary trip is that my DH and I can have some time together. The downside is...we'll be missing the kids terribly, and I just know that I'll want to call home and hear them all the time!

We're sailing on the Oosterdam (July 14) for the Inside Passage (Alaska). Is that considered U.S. waters? My carrier (Verizon) says that if I use my phone on the ship, there will be a $2.49/minute charge. But when I read the HAL paperwork, it appears they turn off their "tower" when they get to port and then you hook up to the land towers? Is that correct? So, if I want to call my kids, I need to wait until I get to a port or pay $2.49/minute from the ship?

I love my babies, but at that rate, I'll go broke just listening to Grandma (M-I-L) telling me all the stories I'm missing while away!!! :rolleyes:

Disney Wonder 10/2005

HAL Oosterdam 7/2007

Disney Magic 10/2007

I did the Noordam in May, also have Verizon. Called my kids in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria after the ship docked. As of yet, have seen no additional cost for those calls on my bill. The Verizon rep did tell me that it might take an additional month for those calls to bill. What I did is check my phone to see if it said roaming or Verizon, only called when showing Verizon.

Using cell phones on a ship is exhorbitant...I used my Cingular last year

on the ship but docked in Miami...got a huge bill citing the "tower" as being in Austria!!!!!!! When I called and complained they said that while on a ship the calls go through the ship's connection, even cell phones. I had a friend who was dying so I kept checking as long as we were in the U.S. but it was hot so I didn't get off and stood on my balcony. Word of advice: Do NOT ever use a cell phone on a ship...get off even if you are stateside.

BigDredhead

I did the Noordam in May, also have Verizon. Called my kids in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria after the ship docked. As of yet, have seen no additional cost for those calls on my bill. The Verizon rep did tell me that it might take an additional month for those calls to bill. What I did is check my phone to see if it said roaming or Verizon, only called when showing Verizon.

Do not use your cell phone on the ship even if docked. If you get off and stand on the pier I think it's regular charges, but call your carrier before you go and make sure. (My bill to Texas from Miami while docked was

close to $50, and it was not a long call.)

Using cell phones on a ship is exhorbitant...I used my Cingular last year

on the ship but docked in Miami...got a huge bill citing the "tower" as being in Austria!!!!!!! When I called and complained they said that while on a ship the calls go through the ship's connection, even cell phones. I had a friend who was dying so I kept checking as long as we were in the U.S. but it was hot so I didn't get off and stood on my balcony. Word of advice: Do NOT ever use a cell phone on a ship...get off even if you are stateside.

BigDredhead

We used T-mobile on the ship while in port and did not pay any extra fees. Before we left we found out who they had agreements with in Alaska and could tell we were connecting with those carriers and not with the ship...

So, all our calls in Alaska were included in our monthly plan - no roaming fees.

These fees were from HAL?

Verizon told me they even have people on land (not even on a cruise) occasionally get charged as if roaming on the ship. This happens when ships are near land like in Hawaii, Florida etc.

I was told on another thread that if you are within range of land cell towers, the ship has to turn off it's service. So, if you're accessing land facilities, whether or not you are charged extra would depend upon the specific calling plan you have. If it includes Alaska, you won't receive extra charges on your bill.

I've never been to Alaska, but I used my cell phone extensively while in port in Hawaii ... on Maui, Oahu and Kona. Never was billed a cent extra. I even made a couple of calls from the ship ... while sailing close to the coast of Kauai. This was before HAL ships installed cellular equipment. No extra charges at all. And, yes, I am on the Verizon network as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 2 weeks later...

I JUST RETURNED FROM THE OOSTERDAM TO ALASKA. I HAD CALLED MY CARRIER CINGULAR (NOW AT&T) TO CHECK MY COVERAGE AND THEY TOLD ME ALASKA WAS COVERED IN MY PLAN WITH NO ROAMING. SO YOU PROBABLY SHOULD CHECK YOU PARTICULAR PLAN BEFORE LEAVING.

I WAS ABLE TO USE MY CELL PHONE AT EACH PORT IN ALASKA AND THE PHONE SAID AT&T ACCESS AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN. ONCE WE CRUISED A WHILE FROM THE PORT....THE MESSAGE WOULD CHANGE TO SOMETHING LIKE EXTENDED SERVICE, WHICH IS WHEN YOU NO LONGER ACCESS THE LOCAL TOWER.

I NEVER USED MY PHONE WHILE WE WERE SAILING OR WHILE WE WERE IN CANADA...THAT WOULD DEFINITELY BE ROAMING CHARGES.

I HAVE TRAVELED ALL OVER AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY CINGULAR (AT&T) SERVICE!

Do not use your cell phone on the ship even if docked. If you get off and stand on the pier I think it's regular charges, but call your carrier before you go and make sure. (My bill to Texas from Miami while docked was

close to $50, and it was not a long call.)

How would it be different standing on the dock or standin on the deck of the ship?

From what I have read they switch to the ship's tower only after leaving port.

We have Verizon and just returned from Alaska and I have my bill. It worked in all the ports. The only roaming charge I had was from Vancouver and my phone said roaming at the time.

Once the ship is docked in port (Alaska) you can use your phone from the ship as the ship's tower is turned off. You can tell. If it says roaming, the ship's tower is on. Just wait. We even had service in Denali Park.

I brought two phone cards (for land lines) along and never had to use one.

How would it be different standing on the dock or standin on the deck of the ship?

From what I have read they switch to the ship's tower only after leaving port.

THERE SHOULD BE NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STANDING ON THE DOCK OR STANDING ON THE DECK OF THE SHIP.

I USED MY CELL PHONE FROM MY ROOM ONCE WE WERE AT THE PORTS AND IT WAS SWITCHED TO LOCAL SERVICE WITH NO PROBLEM. I NOTICED THE SERVICE CHANGED ONCE THE SHIP WAS SAILING A FEW MILES AWAY FROM THE PORT.

Disney Wonder 10/2005

HAL Oosterdam 7/2007

Disney Magic 10/2007

The last time I looked on a chart the Inside Passage was In Canadian waters until you come to Alaska. Has Bush done something that us Canadians do not know about???

Archived