Voyager pod problem???

I read a posting in the past couple of days referring to a pod problem on the Voyager (this was on a "vibration" thread -- definitely don't want to start that discussion up again:) ) Last month, someone commented that the Voyager hit the dock(?) right after being built which left the damage.

Most of us are aware of the Mariner pod problem and Mark Conroy's letter describing the issue in detail. (Note: If any reader is not aware of the Mariner pod problem -- don't worry -- it is doing fine and will be replaced when the new pod is completed -- not tryng to bring up unnecessary concerns).

Just curious to learn more about this. Thanks!;)

Cat:

You may have to do a search on "another cruise board" (or several) to find this info. The incident happened in about '03, as I recall. There was then a lot of info about it here on Cruise Critic. But thereafter, Cruise Critic suffered technical problems and lost its prior data, including the posts about this incident. It reportedly happened during one of this ships's early cruises. Before the incident, those who cruised her consistantly reported how smooth the ride was in all areas. They included the guests selected for the free maiden voyage by RSSC. After the incident, complaints about vibration and shaking began to appear on these boards. So many believe that the cause of the ride problem is that the pod was never properly repaired. Nobody knows this for sure, as RSSC has not chosen to "come clean" about the Voyager pod situation as they have done with the Mariner's.

This reminds me of a bent frame on a car. Once it's bent, it never rides the same. It would be a shame if that's the case here. Let's hope they fix the problem (if they can) in the next 300 days...

Cat:

You may have to do a search on "another cruise board" (or several) to find this info. The incident happened in about '03, as I recall. There was then a lot of info about it here on Cruise Critic. But thereafter, Cruise Critic suffered technical problems and lost its prior data, including the posts about this incident. It reportedly happened during one of this ships's early cruises. Before the incident, those who cruised her consistantly reported how smooth the ride was in all areas. They included the guests selected for the free maiden voyage by RSSC. After the incident, complaints about vibration and shaking began to appear on these boards. So many believe that the cause of the ride problem is that the pod was never properly repaired. Nobody knows this for sure, as RSSC has not chosen to "come clean" about the Voyager pod situation as they have done with the Mariner's.

Thanks for the info. -- was confused due to a comment about the "pod" last week and also the fact that both the Voyager and Navigator have similiar problems with different propulsion systems. Happy 4th of July!

Bick,

I wouldn't hold my breath. Like Dolebludger said, this incident ( they hit some rocks coming out of a port) occured in 2003. Since then they have tried to fix it and supposedly have improved the situation but have not been able to fully correct it .

The only "remedy" is for you to avoid booking a cabin in the "danger zone".

The incident described was propeller damage and the prop was replaced long ago. The pod problem was an electrical problem discovered during the drydock period last Nov and it was repaired in late Nov/earlyDec.

The evidence that the '03 pod colision and its subsequent "repair" is the cause of the vibration/shaking is only coincidential. We know (or at least I have enough info to say "I know") that the port pod hit a rock in the Med. in '03 and was damaged -- and the ship taken out of commission to repair it. Before that, the Voyager was known for a smooth ride all over. After that, the vibration/shaking problems appeared on the boards, and in '04 I personally discovered the problem is real. The coincidence of timing here leads to a strong suspicion that the pod damage is the cause of the problem, but does not prove it, as other intervening causes aren't ruled out.

Archived