Traditional dining waitlist #176

Momma Mojito

Can anyone please explain what happens when you are on a waitlist for dinner? :)

First off I assume because you are waitlisted you are Traditional Early or Late. We have never requested Anytime, so do not know if it is possible to be waitlisted on Anytime

You could be waitlisted when initially making your reservation. You hope to possibily clear the waitlist as you get closer to your cruise date. You can see yourself moving up on this list (by seeing a lower number) logging into your Princess account.

You will get assigned to Anytime if you do not clear the waitlist. That is what happened to us.

Just keep the faith. We were higher in number on the wait list than that, and week by week I watched the numbers drop on the Cruise Personalizer. About 2 weeks before sailing we were finally 'confirmed' for the traditional late seating. :D

If your waitlist # is after final payment, chances are very slim that you'll be assigned traditional dining. If it's before final payment, your chances are 50/50.

We were still waitlisted at #4 and #5 when we boarded the Golden Princess last February. My first stop was to go to Sabatini's and talk to the Maitre D'. He immediately assigned us a table in traditional; no problem.

For the first night or two, they had a table outside the traditional dining room where they were still making table changes. So, hang in there. If you don't get it, just ask. The sooner you ask, the sooner you'll get what you ask for.

We are going as a group of 12. We are all seated together but 4 of us, that booked the cruise later. So they are on a waitlist. I see my mother n law and nephew moving up on the waitlist, they were 77 a week ago now at 75 now. We cruise September 16. So I'm hoping and praying that they are seating with us by time we cruise. And Tom and Duanne booked later than my mother n law and nephew did, so I assume that they are on a waiting list too.

--------

I will go visit the Matree D to have him assign them to our table if they are not assigned with us by time of the cruise.

--------

My mother n law would be lost on looking at those Dinning room menus, she is as country as you get. And I will have to help her order...her a steak and fries that are not on that menu. She will not eat what they have...and my nephew a steak and fries or pototoe...they are not foo foo fa fa food (that is what I call Cruise Dinning Food & I love it) type of people, but will want to dine with the group.

So they must sit with us....so me and my husband can help them order.

I will go visit the Matree D to have him assign them to our table if they are not assigned with us by time of the cruise.
As long as your bookings are linked and you've all requested a large table, there shouldn't be any problem. The tables are essentially pedestals and they can change the top from a 6 > 8 > 10 > 12 pretty easily. Just go to the Maitre D' and he'll make sure you're all seated together. The fact that you're a group makes a difference.

Yikes:eek: ! I justed checked my booking and I am waitlisted at #351! I had no idea, I thought I would get what I selcted! Should I give up hope? We are leaving August 12. We have another cabin that is #353. How do we link them together. Does the TA do that?

Yikes:eek: ! I justed checked my booking and I am waitlisted at #351! I had no idea, I thought I would get what I selcted! Should I give up hope? We are leaving August 12. We have another cabin that is #353. How do we link them together. Does the TA do that?
Yes, your TA cross-references the bookings. And you are unlikely to get off the waitlist before you leave. See the Maitre D as soon as you board.

I'm glad someone gave me a clue as to why people actually WANT assigned seatings on a cruise ship (the fact that they're traveling with meat and potato lovers!) But can't you just go as a group of 4 or whatever to anytime dining and ask to be seated together that night? I have never cruised Princess before, but I assume that they can handle putting 4 people together for those people assigned to anytime dining. They did it on Oceania all the time, every night! People stroll in whenever they feel like it, often in groups, and they made it work. I, personally, am assigned to the late seating, but waitlisted for the early seating, which I guess I may or may not get by cruise date (Aug. 29). However, I would LOVE to be able to eat any time. But they don't have it on the Pacific Princess (smaller ship)

If you don't clear the waitlist, go directly to the Maitre'd when you board the ship. Do not do anything else. I was waitlisted around #170 on my last cruise in February on the Dawn. We immediately went to the dining room where they were reassigning tables. We are Platinum so we boarded early but even then there were already about 75 people waiting to speak to him. We had to wait for about an hour to see him but when we did, he gave us a permanent table for two in the "anytime" dining room. So we would just breeze in there for our own table, with our own waiter, each night.

The cruise before, on the Sapphire, we were around #100 on the waitlist. Same thing, we saw the Maitre'd that first day and he found a table for us. I have found if you are firm, but polite, they will generally find a way to make you happy. :)

PaminMA and Waimea'sMom are correct. Soonafter boarding ask for when you can meet with the Maitre'd. Go there before the assigned time as there will already be a line forming. Your group will be given a number to meet with him. It took us at least an hour and a half of waiting in a dining room to have our turn to see the Maitre'd. We were asked to sit at our assigned dining (whether it was early, late or going to anytime dining) for the first evening. We received a note from the Maitre'd with our new assigned table and time for the rest of the cruise. That is how it was done on the Island Princess last April.

As long as your bookings are linked and you've all requested a large table, there shouldn't be any problem. The tables are essentially pedestals and they can change the top from a 6 > 8 > 10 > 12 pretty easily. Just go to the Maitre D' and he'll make sure you're all seated together. The fact that you're a group makes a difference.

Thank you Pam,

Your reply helps alot. I will talk to the Maitre D and ask him to make sure we are all seated together. We are on Princess in the same group. My friend Marie made sure we were. She is our TA and takes care of grouping us together.

Just checked the Princess website and we are moving up one the list from 176 to 172, so as I see it in maybe by the time we book our next Princess cruise we may get the dining time we want. Ha Ha We received our cruise documents in the mail yesterday, so before long we will be cruiseing the Caribbean. I hate to wish summer away but we are so looking forward to this cruise!!

I think there is always a chance of coming off the waitlist. We are booked for a cruise and have early seating. However, I fully intend to change to anytime when I get there. Everyone keeps telling me not to let go of our early seating booking... that I might want it and not be able to get it later. I don't see this happening, but in case they are right I've held onto it. So most likely, 2 people are going to get off the waitlist the day they arrive on the ship.

Just checked the Princess website and we are moving up one the list from 176 to 172, so as I see it in maybe by the time we book our next Princess cruise we may get the dining time we want. Ha Ha We received our cruise documents in the mail yesterday, so before long we will be cruiseing the Caribbean. I hate to wish summer away but we are so looking forward to this cruise!!

OK--Dumb ? here.....but how/where on the Princess website can I find out my # for the traditional seating wait list?

I have been over there...signed in and clicked in 'Cruise Personalizer' area and it is not listed anywhere. Do I go somewhere else to see it?

I am confused how I can find out what # we are...we are traveling with 2 other friends...4 of us in all and booked our reservations locked in together.

Thanks!

If all else fails and you are still in Anytime dining, you can request to have a reservation for a specific table/waiter and time every night. The one Princess I have been onwas a 12 night. My parents love anytime dining because they are perenially 30+ minutes late for everything. However, by the 3rd or 4th night we were fed up with it. The service was horrible and the food inconsistant. We requested a set table and from then on we had a great table with wonderful tablemates. The service was much better with a set waiter (although the food was still off!) and he was able to accomodate special requests easily, like a birthday cake, extra lobster ordered the night before, etc.

To each their own, but if you are still stuck in Anytime dining, you can make it work for you. One good thing about it is you can have your reservation for an "in-between" time, like 7 pm instead of 6:00 or 8:30.

OK--Dumb ? here.....but how/where on the Princess website can I find out my # for the traditional seating wait list?

I have been over there...signed in and clicked in 'Cruise Personalizer' area and it is not listed anywhere. Do I go somewhere else to see it?

I am confused how I can find out what # we are...we are traveling with 2 other friends...4 of us in all and booked our reservations locked in together.

Thanks!

Go to the the very bottom of the page, look at the second column under summary of this booking. There should be information about your dining choice/placement.

Go to the the very bottom of the page, look at the second column under summary of this booking. There should be information about your dining choice/placement.

Thanks for the info and directions where it was! LOL :D

It did say "Dining Status: Confirmed & 2nd Seating', but it didn't say Traditional Dining Room. Am I being totally DUMB here:confused: ...or since it says 'Confirmed' and I requested Traditional...that is what I got?

Thanks for the info and directions where it was! LOL :D

It did say "Dining Status: Confirmed & 2nd Seating', but it didn't say Traditional Dining Room. Am I being totally DUMB here:confused: ...or since it says 'Confirmed' and I requested Traditional...that is what I got?

You got it!!!! Enjoy your cruise and your traditional dining :D

A couple of posters (me included) on the p and o boards were also waotlisted around mid 300,s yesterday. Today both of us have confirmed first seating on the sun princess.

We are not travelling together and there is no anytime dining for us!!

anyone waitlisted maybe try looking today. Do they assign seating every so often?

Archived