Best Ports for Sightseeing on Your Own, Solo

FinelyRetired

I won't be cruising solo in October as DH will be with me. But he's in a wheelchair and has been to the Greek Isles so he's going to stay onboard when we're at Santorini and perhaps when we're at Mykonos as both are tender ports.

We'll be in Rome 4 nights pre-cruise, and I'll probably go out on my own while DH takes an afternoon nap.

I can hardly wait to have a day on Santorini all by myself. I'm going to take a local bus to one of the villages and just have a great time.

In the past I have rented a car in Scotland for a long weekend after attending a week long seminar and had a great time. And I have spent many a day in New York City alone - both as a tourist, on a business trip and as a resident for a few years.

Oh, and I drove from Colorado to New York City solo years ago.

Whether in the US or elsewhere just use common sense.

Oh, and I will say I'm a 66 year old female.

Just be very aware in Rome. Lots of pickpockets and those who will pull jewelry off your neck and will cut your handbag right off your shoulder. Be especially careful near Trevi Fountain. Lots of robbers/pickpockets there.

Just be very aware in Rome. Lots of pickpockets and those who will pull jewelry off your neck and will cut your handbag right off your shoulder. Be especially careful near Trevi Fountain. Lots of robbers/pickpockets there.

I have been doing a lot of reading about pickpockets in Rome, so believe me I'll be extra careful.

• 5 weeks later...
You will love the DVD, I promise and I wish I had it before the cruise although if you go on the Star Princess you will see it onboard every night before the port and it was great. We turned it on every night before going to bed and more information. BTW, Tallin is a real sleeper and wonderful so get off the ship early there especially if you don't have a full day. I started at the top of the hill and worked my way down to the main town, beautiful place.

All the Scandinavian ports are safe to walk around. I would highly recommend walking around Tallinn for at least the morning to check out the Old Town. It's really the only thing worth seeing there. As long as you keep yourself aware of your personal belongings, don't wave anything around and stay in the Old Town you could walk yourself around there no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have not read all replies but a Canada-New England itinerary sounds very good to me for solo travellers and here are some reasons:

- Not a beach itinerary - not easy to go safely swim with your belongings sitting there on the sand)

- North American cities - no cultural disaproval of women travelling alone

- Culture-History and scenery oriented ports - Easy to find a subject to start a discussion with other people.

- No language problem - Make it easy to take a bus or talk to the locals (some ports are French speaking but in the touristic areas, most people do speak English).

I am from Quebec City and have visited most (if not all) cities on the Canada-New England itineraries and still, one day I will do it on a ship (but I also need some winter sunshine destinations sometimes).

Archived