Best Ports for Sightseeing on Your Own, Solo

FinelyRetired

On my cruises, I have to say Grand Cayman and St. Martin. But in all the ports that I visit, including in Jamacia. I never had a problem.

When I do venture alone, I do several things. One, I try not to look so much like a tourist. I act like I know where I'm going. If I get lost (which happens) I ask for assistance from the police or in a store.

On my last cruise in April, I wandered the narrow cobblestone streets of Fort-de-France alone. I speak very little French, but it wasn't a problem. I guess that I blend in so well that I received a flyer for a hair salon opening from a lady hawking their services. She talked to me in French for a few moments and I just told her no.

Mainly I use common sense and if my feelings tell me something is not right, I trust them.

It's a pretty big world out there, maybe if you could narrow it down a bit? Are you talking Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, Baltic, Med or any other place.

Hi Tracie:

As this is a general thread visted by solos travelling far and wide, not a regional thread, yeah, I pretty much mean the "big world out there." Whatever info about a port is forthcoming from a solo perspective will likely be helpful to a SOLO planning now or for the future?

By way of examples, from my limited experience that could be helpful:

Pt Limon, Costa Rica: Easy walk-off ship to town, WOULD NOT walk it Solo. Many private tours take singles along, get one. Or use ship's tour.

Panama: Ditto, walk with others & don't venture beyond the shopping.

Curacao: Easy walk, stick with tourists, don't go alone beyond 3 blocks inland once over bridge, even DH & I weren't comfortable too far from bridge.

Dublin: Probably ship's shuttle available to town & HOHO bus sounds safe for Solos........but I DON'T really know.....know COUPLES find it safe, and easy probably solos would too?

Often, the port specific thread replies are from couples, groups, NOT too many from solo's.

What ports have folks here done, economically, easily and safely on-your-own and how? Which ports OUGHT to be only done thru ship., etc.

Martha

As solo cruisers, which Ports have you all found to be the easiest, safest and most enjoyable to visit on your own?

As everyone has stated the world is big but another idea to consider is meeting people via CC online and one the ship and making plans together. That will work out well especially if you are not comfortable. Cayman is very easy to do your own thing and really Cozumel is as well.

As everyone has stated the world is big but another idea to consider is meeting people via CC online and one the ship and making plans together. That will work out well especially if you are not comfortable. Cayman is very easy to do your own thing and really Cozumel is as well.

Agree wholeheartedly. CC Roll Calls......IF your ship has one are great for Solos. Have arranged two private tours for my upcoming 1st Solo cruise this summer & been able to find others to join via Roll Call! Also, been invited to join others' tours.

Of course, it is also fun to strike out on your own once in a while, explore at your own discretion and at your own pace....IF its a Port patrticulary conducive for that. Would love to hear which Ports others have done alone and really enjoyed themselves and would recommend.

Asked this question in a general fashion for benefit of all here, wherever we may be headed for sure or just might consider in the future.

Ports I will be visiting solo in the next year are: Southampton, St Peter Port, Holyhead, Dublin, Greenock, Belfast, Kirkwall, Invergordon, S Queensferry, Le Havre, Amsterdam, Warnemunde, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallin, Stockholm, Klaipedia, Ystad, Copenhagen and Oslo.

But would be interested in hearing of ANY great day in ANY Port you had on your own. How you got there, what you did, etc.

If I do Carribean someday.....will try for itinerary that Cayman is on and St Martin(thanks airlinkdiva) Thanks

Agree wholeheartedly. CC Roll Calls......IF your ship has one are great for Solos. Have arranged two private tours for my upcoming 1st Solo cruise this summer & been able to find others to join via Roll Call! Also, been invited to join others' tours.

Of course, it is also fun to strike out on your own once in a while, explore at your own discretion and at your own pace....IF its a Port patrticulary conducive for that. Would love to hear which Ports others have done alone and really enjoyed themselves and would recommend.

Asked this question in a general fashion for benefit of all here, wherever we may be headed for sure or just might consider in the future.

Ports I will be visiting solo in the next year are: Southampton, St Peter Port, Holyhead, Dublin, Greenock, Belfast, Kirkwall, Invergordon, S Queensferry, Le Havre, Amsterdam, Warnemunde, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallin, Stockholm, Klaipedia, Ystad, Copenhagen and Oslo.

But would be interested in hearing of ANY great day in ANY Port you had on your own. How you got there, what you did, etc.

If I do Carribean someday.....will try for itinerary that Cayman is on and St Martin(thanks airlinkdiva) Thanks

I would not recommend St. Petersburg on your own and actually you will need a VISA to do that which will cost about $75+. You can however book a tour through the cruiseline, DenRus or Red October and will not need the VISA. I just used DenRus and it was good but I also heard Red October was good. Believe it or not I did hear a few not so good reports from the cruiseline sponsored tour. Watch for Pickpockers in St. Petersburg anyplace that has lots of people and that includes places you might not expect it. I did Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallin and Oslo on my own. I highly recommend Rick Steve's Baltic book and John Lawrence's DVD on the Baltic, it is excellent and gives you lots of good advice. You can buy it here if you want "http://www.johnlawrencecd.com/".

Best of luck

I would not recommend St. Petersburg on your own and actually you will need a VISA to do that which will cost about $75+. You can however book a tour through the cruiseline, DenRus or Red October and will not need the VISA. I just used DenRus and it was good but I also heard Red October was good. Believe it or not I did hear a few not so good reports from the cruiseline sponsored tour. Watch for Pickpockers in St. Petersburg anyplace that has lots of people and that includes places you might not expect it. I did Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallin and Oslo on my own. I highly recommend Rick Steve's Baltic book and John Lawrence's DVD on the Baltic, it is excellent and gives you lots of good advice. You can buy it here if you want "http://www.johnlawrencecd.com/".

Best of luck

Thanks, Vince:

You just helped me out a lot. Baltic Cruise is on Prinsendam. That ship often has lower subscribed CC Roll Calls, if any at all, for many of their cruises. I had looked at Alla Tours but you need to book a group & have some friends for that. Unwilling to commit to filling one as I was on my Princess cruise! I'll try Den Rus for a single booking, or Red October.

Although, early in research, had identified Copenhagen & Tallin as real potential "on my owns."

Nice to know that Stockholm, Helsinki & Oslo are possibles too!

Will order the john lawrence cd.

Thanks again, Martha

Thanks, Vince:

You just helped me out a lot. Baltic Cruise is on Prinsendam. That ship often has lower subscribed CC Roll Calls, if any at all, for many of their cruises. I had looked at Alla Tours but you need to book a group & have some friends for that. Unwilling to commit to filling one as I was on my Princess cruise! I'll try Den Rus for a single booking, or Red October.

Although, early in research, had identified Copenhagen & Tallin as real potential "on my owns."

Nice to know that Stockholm, Helsinki & Oslo are possibles too!

Will order the john lawrence cd.

Thanks again, Martha

You will love the DVD, I promise and I wish I had it before the cruise although if you go on the Star Princess you will see it onboard every night before the port and it was great. We turned it on every night before going to bed and more information. BTW, Tallin is a real sleeper and wonderful so get off the ship early there especially if you don't have a full day. I started at the top of the hill and worked my way down to the main town, beautiful place.

Hi:)

I agree with Caribbean being easy to get around solo.

After going to certain ports so many times it is like a piece of cake;)

Most ships tender into Caymen.....Many times I just go into town,

walk around, do some window shopping, maybe stop at the Hard Rock

for a drink....just stroll around. I have always felt safe there.

Same thing in St Martin but the ship usually docks. Take the water

taxi over and walk around.......

Mexican Riveria, example, if you go to Cabo. I sometimes try

to do an excursion and then have time to walk around the Marina.

I feel comfortable there as well.

I know many folks don't care for Jamaica (that is being nice)....

but I always enjoy Margaritaville:) and I will walk up there

and have a drink and people watch. They usually have a DJ and

lots of folks are from the ships in port....I have always felt safe

there~many times you will see other people from your ship and

also some of the crew might be there (some do get time off when

in port:)

Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallin, Stockholm, Klaipedia - been there done them last year.

Helsinki and Tallin, walk off ship and get the HOHO, check the HOHO website for maps of their stops near where your ship will dock.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/

Klaipeda - walk off ship and through the dock into town, small town with a couple of streets of shops, nothing too large, may be you will be lucky and there will be a market or festival (I was lucky with both last summer). You can also catch the regular, short, ferry over to the Spit which is a nature reserve. You can spend a few hours in the town and on the spit, but if you have a longer stop then perhaps take a half day tour out into the countryside too.

Stockholm, loved it, big city, felt very safe, off again shortly for 2 days pre-cruise.

Dublin, visited on a landbased tour, big city, you will feel safe on your own. 2 competing HOHO tour bus companies, research their websites to see which suits you, Cream and Green has live commentry and is very entertaining. http://www.dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/citytour.aspx

hope that helps

My take -most of the time I walk around, check out local crafts/art, get a drink or coffee at a cafe and people-watch. If there is a local bus/walking tour that i readily available i like to do those - I enjoy the "duck" tours in amphibious vehicles, and hop-on-hop-off buses. Sometimes I take an excursion (either through ship, or booked independently) if it is something that interests me. Last year i joined a private excursion in Dominica that some people on the CC roll call started. A few times I just took a cab (either by myself or shared) to a beach or a site, and arranged for pick-up.

Alaska - the towns we docked at (juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria) were safe, easy to walk around and very easy to do solo. If you want to do a floatplane or helecopter excursion, you should book ahead of time (either through the ship or independent) to make sure you have a space, should be no problem to book solo. The floatplane ride I booked in Ketchikan (independent) had 7 seats. In Juneau, there were plenty of buses to the Mendenhall glacier that are waiting at the pier, and you can walk to Mt Roberts tram. Skagway was also small, and could get around easily. If you want to do a tour to Yukon you can book that ahead of time. In Victoria, there were free shuttles from pier into town (though it was not a bad walk) and the town was very safe. I also spent a few days in Vancouver - great city, easy to get around by foot or public transportation.

Europe - been to several European cities solo and with friends -again common sense and don't look like a tourist! I loved to walk around Barcelona, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Dublin, Budapest, London. Paris among others, and felt safe for the most part as a solo

Caribean -i have felt safe walking around by myself in the ports. Even Jamaica! Like anywhere, use common sense, and if your gut instinct is telling you that the street you are on feels unsafe, or you don't trust the cab driver, or that person on the street, go with your gut feeling! Same with Mexican Riviera (never did a cruise there, but have been to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo on land-vacations).

Have fun, research the ports, do what interests you, and if there are other people that join you, even better!

Martha, this could get pretty long, so bear with me.

Caribbean/Mexico

Never do Jamaica on your own. Same goes for anywhere in Panama, Columbia, Honduras, St Croix, and Cozumel (my sister had a very bad experience in Cozumel when she got off the ship on her own and took a cab from the shopping area back to the ship)

As far as safe: Barbados, Antiqua, St. Barts, St Kitts, St Thomas, St Maartin, and just about all the others where ships stop

South America: Never, ever leave the ship alone in Brazil---there's not been one city in Brazil where I've felt safe, even in a group. Argentina, Montevideo, and stops in Chile felt very safe.

Asia: Hong Kong and Singapore are very safe to go off on your own. I've been to both cities many times and I've always gone off on my own and never felt any danger. Even at night, it was not a problem. I was in Bejing in 1989 during the uprising in Bejing, so China has not felt safe to me. Same with Shanghai---be careful there. Don't go on your own in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia or Laos.

I was alone in Rangoon in Myanmar, and felt very safe. I know many who might not think this, but it was a great country to go it alone. You'll get a lot of curious looks, but the people find it interesting to see a woman out on her own---they really have no experience on women without a husband. I got lots of questions on where my man was (I wanted to say that I kicked him to the curb, but I didn't think they'd understand). Same thing with Nepal. They are incredibly curious towards single women who travel alone, but they take special care of you. Don't go alone in Sri Lanka---just too unstable of a country. But the Maldives is perfectly safe and a great place to go it alone, especially if you like watersports.

Now, we get to Arab countries. You can't go it alone in Saudi Arabia. And you must follow their dress code. Dubai is fantastic to go off shopping and sightseeing as a single. I was not hassled at all there, but again, respect the customs of modest dress. Independent women are fine in Jordan, but stay in the high traffic areas, and dress conservatively.

Australia and New Zealand have been very comfortable for me to go it alone. If you ever get there, make sure to hold a wombat. I've found them to be alot like men---cranky, but if you flip them over and rub their belly, they become as docile as puppies.

I would never go it alone in India. This was probably one of the most intimidating places, not as far as safety, but in terms of people being overly aggressive in many things. I love India, and I'm going back there next April, but don't walk off on your own and either take a private car or stay with group tours.

Med: I've gone it alone in just about every country, but the most difficult country I've ever visited was Turkey. I got off the ship alone in Kusadasi and within less than an hour, I was back on board. The men were terribly aggressive, grabbing my arm and trying to get my attention. I was with my male friend in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, and I made the mistake of wandering off, and it was terribly uncomfortable. Again, the men were really aggressive, and scary. I made sure not to leave his side again.

Baltic: No problems in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Belgium, Poland or Germany. I would not feel comfortable alone in Estonia or anywhere in Russia.

UK: Felt safe in all those countries. Of course, with all the terrorist problems in that area, you have to be aware, but I've not felt any safety issues with a woman being alone in Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales.

I have to disagree with you concerning Jamaica or Cozumel. I sailed both these ports as a solo cruiser.

In Jamaica, after I completed my tour, I shopped in the enclosed area and had no problem.

I know some people complain about the vendors after you complete Dunn's Falls. I said no very firm and kept walking. The one vendor that attempted to grab my arm got her arm yanked hard and I got a little long in my reply.

As for Cozumel, I taken a cab to one of the well known beach area and enjoyed myself. I also enjoyed a great dinner at Pancho's backyard one eveing.

But it's like the other cruisers stated, know how to act and you have little problems.

Hi Darcie:)

I also have to say I have never had a problem in Cozumel or

Jamaica either.....but as I posted in a prior post

when in Ocho I just walk up to Margaritaville......never had a problem

doing that on my own.

And in Cozumel I took a cab to Paradise Beach....no problems

for me there either.

Sorry your sister had less than stellar experiences.

Lois and Diva, let me tell you the things that have happened to me in Jamaica. Both times, when walking in the shopping areas or just sitting on the beach, my sister and I had local men walk up to us and make very lewd and sexual remarks. This was very, very uncomfortable. One time, my sister was sitting on a tour bus when a man stuck his head in the window and said he wanted to have sex with her. Now mind you, we do not dress in a provocative way, but nonetheless, this is how we've been approached in Jamaica, not once, but twice, and in what you can call a "safer" environment. In Cozumel, my sister got a taxi at the shopping area and said she wanted to be taken to the dock where Celebrity Summit had their tender. All of a sudden, she was driven past the area and she told the driver he missed where she needed to get out. He ignored her and kept driving. She was terrified. Finally, he stopped the taxi, where the Carnival ships had their tender area which was quite a ways from X's area. She told him that she wanted to go back to Celebrity's dock and he got out of the taxi, opened the door and physically pulled her out of the taxi. Fortunately, there was a ship's officer from Carnival in the area, and he came to help her. And again fortunately, there was a restaurant nearby, and there were some X crew members there, and they recognized my sister, saw what happened with the driver, and they walked her back to the dock area. So you can see, when things like that happen to you, you cannot help but not feel at all comfortable with those areas ever again.

Lois and Diva, let me tell you the things that have happened to me in Jamaica. Both times, when walking in the shopping areas or just sitting on the beach, my sister and I had local men walk up to us and make very lewd and sexual remarks. This was very, very uncomfortable. One time, my sister was sitting on a tour bus when a man stuck his head in the window and said he wanted to have sex with her. Now mind you, we do not dress in a provocative way, but nonetheless, this is how we've been approached in Jamaica, not once, but twice, and in what you can call a "safer" environment. In Cozumel, my sister got a taxi at the shopping area and said she wanted to be taken to the dock where Celebrity Summit had their tender. All of a sudden, she was driven past the area and she told the driver he missed where she needed to get out. He ignored her and kept driving. She was terrified. Finally, he stopped the taxi, where the Carnival ships had their tender area which was quite a ways from X's area. She told him that she wanted to go back to Celebrity's dock and he got out of the taxi, opened the door and physically pulled her out of the taxi. Fortunately, there was a ship's officer from Carnival in the area, and he came to help her. And again fortunately, there was a restaurant nearby, and there were some X crew members there, and they recognized my sister, saw what happened with the driver, and they walked her back to the dock area. So you can see, when things like that happen to you, you cannot help but not feel at all comfortable with those areas ever again.

Darcie, so sorry that happened to her:(

I have always felt safe (as a woman alone) in Western Europe in the small towns and the historic areas of large cities.

Felt safe in Roatan Island, Honduras (total paradise!!). I had read online that people shouldn't walk into the town of Coxen Hole, but the ship's staff said it was fine. My daughter and I did that and had a fabulous time! We were the only ones from the whole ship that went into town. A very nice lady walked with us and shared her umbrella (it was hot) and we found a nice Internet cafe where we sent emails. Then we walked back to the ship and got a taxi to take us to West End beach. Never felt uncomfortable.

Also felt safe getting a taxi in Cozumel and going to the Chankanaab park. That was a lovely place. Also hired a taxi to the public beach in Grand Cayman.

Two places where I have NOT felt safe (even though I was with a female friend one time and another time I was with a grown daughter):

1) Cozumel's main shopping street - had no problems with the main shopping area, from right off the pier to a couple blocks down. But then it got pretty uncomfortable with men hanging around the front of stores and staring at us. We suddenly realized that there weren't many tourists anymore, so we turned around and went back to the ship. We had also been told not to leave the main street and walk down any side streets.

2)Jamaica - went to Dunn's River Falls and a park with a group tour. On the way, the driver stopped along the side of the road where his relatives had tables set up selling trinkets. The driver made each of us get off the bus and said that we could not get back on unless we bought something!! I was livid, but my friend said to just buy something cheap and keep quiet. So I did. If I would have fussed, who knows what might have happened. Even though there were hawkers at Dunn's River, I didn't feel weird. I just ignored them. Dunn's River was alot of fun!

Beachyfe

Thanks to all of you who have posted. It has been enormously helpful both for upcoming cruises........but also for those possibly in my future as the info/advice has come from a solo perspective.

I've copied your posts and am appreciative of your enthusiasm and candor. A wonderful add'l resource to add to other port specific experiences available here at CC.

My guess is that I have not been the only Solo who is benefitting from the time you all have taken to post. Hopefully others will continue to add their solo experiences in various ports.....good, great, bad, & ugly.

So, again, thanks. Martha

Wow! I really hate that this happen with your sister. I guess that in my travels that I never had any major problems.

• 1 month later...

I'll be heading to the Baltics solo next summer and had planned on doing Tallin on my own. You said you wouldn't do Estonia by yourself. Can you tell me why. I've read it's easy to navigate and not very big. I was hoping to either walk in or take a cab to the top and walk/wander my way down back to the ship. If you had a bad experience I'd like to hear about it just for the sake of being warned. Also, how long ago was it?

Archived