Bugs In September

sandyoftheseas

We will be cruising on the Crown in mid-September. Trying to decide whether or not to bring the bug spray. Can anyone who's done Canada/New England in Sept. tell me if we need to worry about mosquitos/bugs in any of the ports (Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, St. John)?

I live in the Boston area and there aren't a heck of a lot of bugs in this port. I also have a family home in Maine and the further north you go and mostly inland it gets very buggyat night. Days are fine in all of these areas. If you take tours inland bring bug spray. Lyme disease is prevelent in this area. MY DS is recovering. HTH.

September is usually not a buggy month in Maine. Spring and the hot part of summer we have black flies (the Maine bird, I sometimes think), no-see-ums ... pesky little things, horse flies, moose flies, deer flies, mosquitos .... but usually the coast does not have a big problem as most times it seems that the winds come from the ocean. If you are in a swampy area (and MT Desert, Bar Harbor area has a few) then there might still be some black flies. If you are not familiar with them they are small and their bite makes many people swell up ... they love the eyes and the back of the neck and the ankles.

I'd bring a small bottle of something like skin so soft (avon) ... and if needed then I would put some on. No need to worry about poisonous snakes, etc. as we have none (there is the brown recluse spider, but I've never known anyone who has seen one). Jan

Archived