Ship to Shore Calls

E&B

I tried doing a search but had no luck. Can anyone tell me the cost of ship-to-shore calls aboard the Spirit? I told DH we need to sign up for the internet package to keep in touch with the kids while we're at sea, and he claims a ship to shore call would be cheaper. I know it won't, but I need help convincing him.

I can't remember the ship to shore call rate but I know it's expensive. I always use the internet to contact family back home. If you have a laptop, carry that and type out your emails detailing your adventures ahead of time, log on, then paste it onto your internet mail account (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.), then send. You can save lots of money that way. The ship will also have desk top computers available for your use but there is no word processor. Just access to the internet. I would be shocked if the calls were cheaper than internet minutes. Don't use the ship email address that you will get with your cruise documents. They charge an additional fee per email. :)

Ship to Shore calls were $8.00 a minute from the cabin phone.

If your cell phone works onboard, some did, mine (Verizon) didn't ,as I wont add International calling to my plan, it is $3.00 per minute plus roaming charges. It is much cheaper to buy an internet plan.

Keeping up with business is an expensive deal onboard ship. On the Dawn and the Spirit, DH ran up a huge bill in phone calls and fax charges. The only saving grace was that these were "business expenses" and could be written off as such.

Ship to Shore calls were $8.00 a minute from the cabin phone.

If your cell phone works onboard, some did, mine (Verizon) didn't ,as I wont add International calling to my plan, it is $3.00 per minute plus roaming charges. It is much cheaper to buy an internet plan.

I think the cheapest is cell. At 2.49 a minute and no other roaming charges a quick call costs 5-7 bucks. Unless you bring a laptop the $.75 a minute on the internet will add up very fast as you spend time reading and then typing the same information.

The other option is text messaging on the cell - the kids can send a message and it will cost $.10. To send one to them it is $.50

The cell is real time just in case there is an issue back home. I just turn mine on several times a day to check for messages. No simple call home text message I know all is good and the relaxation continues.

Don't use the ship email address that you will get with your cruise documents. They charge an additional fee per email. :)

If someone emails you at the ships email address they give you, do they just print that out and deliver it to your cabin?

How much do they charge for a received message.

----------

Also, what if someone calls you from shore to ship? Do you get charged or do they at their home phone?

----------

The wife may need someone to contact her briefly with a message - no real need to chat with them so trying to figure out the cheapest way

If someone emails you at the ships email address they give you, do they just print that out and deliver it to your cabin?

How much do they charge for a received message.

----------

Also, what if someone calls you from shore to ship? Do you get charged or do they at their home phone?

----------

The wife may need someone to contact her briefly with a message - no real need to chat with them so trying to figure out the cheapest way

No they don't print it out. You pay $3.95 plus the cost of Internet time to access the email. You have to check to see if you have email. Much better off just using any online email like hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc.

Most of NLC's ships have their own cell tower - you think you are not roaming because you have "bars" for service. When it is necessary to check in with people back home if you have a no roam service via Sprint you pay the "cruise ship" minute rate which I believe was $4 a minute. It shows up on your bill as cruise ship. I would check with them first to verify exactly what you have and what is covered. A few years back I was not aware of this cruise ship rate being new to sprint and had a HUGE cell phone bill when I got home. Sprint advised me to turn take the "roam" function off on my pda phone so that if there was no true signal (no charges outside of my service plan) Otherwise use a pre-paid card on the islands.

No they don't print it out. You pay $3.95 plus the cost of Internet time to access the email. You have to check to see if you have email. Much better off just using any online email like hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc.

OK, thanks. You also mentioned txt messaging at .10 in coming and .50 outgoing. Is that only onshore (in our case - Bermuda) or at sea? if its at sea, we have our solution

Thanks

OK, thanks. You also mentioned txt messaging at .10 in coming and .50 outgoing. Is that only onshore (in our case - Bermuda) or at sea? if its at sea, we have our solution

Thanks

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

The AT&T rates of text messages are for at sea. You can check your carriers website. The above link will allow you to check AT&T rates for Bermuda or any ship.

Send Text Message $0.50 per message sent

Send Picture and Video Messages $1.30 per message sent

Receive Text, Picture and Video Messages Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

The AT&T rates of text messages are for at sea. You can check your carriers website. The above link will allow you to check AT&T rates for Bermuda or any ship.

Send Text Message $0.50 per message sent

Send Picture and Video Messages $1.30 per message sent

Receive Text, Picture and Video Messages Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally

:D Shoreguy, I don't know how you learn about all this stuff, but THANK YOU. The NCL CC board wouldn't be the same without you. I am now going to call ATT to activate my phone. And, now I know how to stay in touch with my dd who is staying home. It takes me about 15 minutes to type out a simple message on my phone as opposed to teenagers who can bang out the same message in five seconds. But, I actually learned how to do it. I also know how to take pictures and videos with my phone because one of my third grade students showed me how. LOL

This is what I learned when I called ATT.

To make/receive calls from Bermuda is $1.99 per minute

To make/receive calls from the ship is $2.49 per minute

If someone calls me while I am on the ship, and leaves a message, I will be charged $2.49 per minute, so make sure you block incoming calls from people you don't care to hear from.:eek:

Text messaging is 50 cents a minute from the ship.

This is what I learned when I called ATT.

To make/receive calls from Bermuda is $1.99 per minute

To make/receive calls from the ship is $2.49 per minute

If someone calls me while I am on the ship, and leaves a message, I will be charged $2.49 per minute, so make sure you block incoming calls from people you don't care to hear from.:eek:

Text messaging is 50 cents a minute from the ship.

Or turn off your voicemail :)

Shoreguy I know this is off topic but i'll ask anyway. My son is going to Ireland with family and want him to have a cell to call home and vice versa. I have verizon and it's really not good international. Can I buy or rent a cell phone that will work over there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shoreguy I know this is off topic but i'll ask anyway. My son is going to Ireland with family and want him to have a cell to call home and vice versa. I have verizon and it's really not good international. Can I buy or rent a cell phone that will work over there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There are many companies that rent phones. I have not done it for years. The best way may be to pick one up in Ireland. As I recall there were places at the airport in London that would do that or provide just a sim card for an existing GSM phone. You may want to check on one of the other travel boards or port of call boards.

Google is always a good place to start - lots of options

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Phone+rental+Ireland&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.rentaphone-ireland.com/

THE BENIFITS OF OUR SERVICE:

You receive your cell phone number in advance, before you leave home.

We are based in Ireland and provide you with a local help line to answer any queries you might have.

We use the Vodafone network, which offers almost nationwide coverage, others do not.

There is no need to buy a SIM card when you rent an Ireland cell phone from us.

No need to insert Sim cards or set-up voice mail, we do it for you.

You can receive calls from anywhere in the world for FREE while you are in Ireland.

Calls to Irish numbers cost from 19 to 45 cent per minute. (Charged per second)

Our phones come with FREE voice mail.

Call the US and Canada for 32 cent per minute when you use our calling card.

Good point. But what if there really is a big emergency at home? Don't confuse me Shoreguy. ;)

TEXT MESSAGE - ;) Really big they can call the ship for $20

NCL guests can also be contacted on one of our ships by calling 1.888.NCSHIPS (1.888.627.4477) from USA. For the rest of the world please dial 1.732.335.3280. When guests are contacted with the ship via satellite, they can be reached directly, if they are in their stateroom. If not, a message about the incoming call will be delivered to their cabin and then they can call back*

Dial 1-888-NC SHIPS (627-4477), select the ship, and enter your credit card information

Using my Verizon cell phone when in Tortla a 6 minute call was $7.74 (= $1.29 per minute). I made the call while on the ship, but I think we were still in port. I honestly don't remember if we were moving or not................too much rum punch on the catamaran excursion!!

Used my Tracfone on last cruise and no suprise bills when I returned home. :D Friends that were with us used their Verizon but people at home could not hear them. :mad: Then resorted to using ship's phone for 3 quick phone calls which cost them $63++. :o After that they took me up on my offer to use my Tracfone and worked fine. Verizon bill came and all these calls at $2.49/ minute were on their bill and when they called about removing the charges Verizon said that those were billed from the ship.:(

I am assuing that the Tracfones are still working unless shoreguy or someone else has heard differently. Those with time before they leave might still be able to order a phone online from Tracfone.com for $20 and get 2 60 minute cards for free. Always go online and search for bonus codes for extra free minutes. I think I got 60 free with my last 60 minute card! :cool:

After reading all of these ideas, I am thinking that the easiest way to call home might be to just buy at $20 phone card at the drug store and use that. Am I missing something here?

Yes - it might not work in the port you are in :eek:

Archived