Traveling 1/09 - Security Question

Hey there - I booked Serenade (1/17/09) for my 40th birthday. Thinking about it, that's actually the week that the new President will take office (he (or she I suppose) takes the oath on 1/20/09).

Any thoughts on being away that week? I'm leaving my 2 kids home with my MIL and all of a sudden it feels like not such a good week to be out of the country.....

Nothing has happened when other presidents have taken office (literally LOL) I wouldn't worry about it, probably the 40th bday jitters, but if you feel really uneasy why not take your birthday cruise a little early or late, sometimes those little voices are trying to tell us things....

Don't worry about it. By then Bush will have declared marshall law and will invoke the Patriot Act's clause that allows a president to remain in office indefinitely if it he deems it a matter of national security.

I am curious, why do you think this would be a bad time to leave the country?

I am guessing because of the recent attempted attacks in Birtain following Blair's successor taking office. Perhaps she is concerned something similar will happen in the U.S. at that time. I personally wouldn't worry about it and certainly wouldn't change my plans based on it.

Don't worry about it. By then Bush will have declared marshall law and will invoke the Patriot Act's clause that allows a president to remain in office indefinitely if it he deems it a matter of national security.

Shh the bill is before congress right now, LOL

honestly I think you will be fine but if you are haveing second thoughts just change the date, simple enough. Better that than to worry about it. We sailed two weeks after 911 we still went, even flew there cross country of a big ole plane loaded with fuel, my viewpoint is when your number is up it does not matter if you are on vacation or home mowing the lawn it's up. I'd rather go with a drink in my hand than the lawn mower! LOL

You made me laugh out loud on that one! Scary....but probably close to the mark.

Not quite. That would be Cheny declaring Marshall Law :rolleyes: .

Bite your tongue! God forbid THAT happen. :eek:

Maybe I SHOULD take a cruise in January and then just step off on an island and not come back...lol :p

Bite your tongue! God forbid THAT happen. :eek:

Maybe I SHOULD take a cruise in January and then just step off on an island and not come back...lol :p

I was on the Freedom OTS last week. I kept pointing out Henry to everyone I was with. No one seemed to impressed. Sorry, but I tried.

I am guessing because of the recent attempted attacks in Birtain following Blair's successor taking office. Perhaps she is concerned something similar will happen in the U.S. at that time.

That's exactly my thinking. It just seemed like a weird thing when the thought crossed my mind. I couldn't imagine not being able to get home to my girls! I'll suck it up and go - can't let them win!

Thanks for the advice :)

I was on the Freedom OTS last week. I kept pointing out Henry to everyone I was with. No one seemed to impressed. Sorry, but I tried.

HAHAHAHAHAHA oh well. You can't please everyone. They just didn't "get it" and it's not worth explaining it to them. :p :D

Remember its still safer to hunt with Dick Cheney than drive with Ted Kennedy

lol

Paul

Slapping my knee and laughing! I love humor, hate politics/debates.

Thanks- I needed that!!! Almost time for the Colbert Report!

Karen

Just in case anyone was interested...there are no "credible" threats on/at Caribbean ports right now according to the Government Accountability Office. Although, they do acknowledge certain risks. This report was issued last week - rather dry reading, but for anyone who is interested:

http://searching.gao.gov/cs.html?charset=iso-8859-1&url=http%3A//www.gao.gov/new.items/d07804r.pdf&qt=caribbean+cruise&col=&n=4&la=en

If the link doesn't work you can search at the gao.gov website for "caribbean cruise"

One of my family members was on a cruise when 9/11 happened. The cruise had heightened security when they got off at the US port and nothing bad happened. Everybody on the ship was absolutely shocked by the news of what happened. The seminar my family member was a part of stopped for the rest of the day, I believe, and they had a chaplain available to pray with and comfort whoever wanted to do so on the ship.

My family member was able to fly home a few days later since the airlines were flying again by their departure day.

Archived