Just back from A&K "Afloat in France canal Cruise

chicago641

We just returned from what was billed as luxury barge cruise sold through A&K from a company called "Afloat in France". I would have to say this was not a luxury barge trip in any form, the barge was old and going into dry dock in 8 weeks at the end of the season, the staff is a bunch of young kids with little training and the tours are short and basic. Take this as a warning...avoid this company!

We just returned from what was billed as luxury barge cruise sold through A&K from a company called "Afloat in France". I would have to say this was not a luxury barge trip in any form, the barge was old and going into dry dock in 8 weeks at the end of the season, the staff is a bunch of young kids with little training and the tours are short and basic. Take this as a warning...avoid this company!

Sorry to hear about your bad experince. Avoid A&K or avoid "Afloat in France"?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your bad experince. Avoid A&K or avoid "Afloat in France"?

Thanks.

Mmmmm...I would have to say both.

1. shame on A&K for not doing their due dilligence and checking on the products they are selling.

2. And shame on "Afloat in France" for their dishonesty.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your trip. Can you be more specific about what you didn't like? Which barge were you on and what cruise did you take? All of their barges are indeed old, but they seem to be quite well appointed, and as to going into dry dock, all ships/barges etc. do that periodically. In what respect did you consider the crew ill trained?

We have only done one river cruise in Europe, and some of the tours included I would also consider short and basic (a 1.5 to 2 hour walking tour with guide), but found all to be very informative about the area we were at.

I would really appreciate more details as looking at Afloat in France website I would certainly consider a cruise with them.

Cheers,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your trip. Can you be more specific about what you didn't like? Which barge were you on and what cruise did you take? All of their barges are indeed old, but they seem to be quite well appointed, and as to going into dry dock, all ships/barges etc. do that periodically. In what respect did you consider the crew ill trained?

We have only done one river cruise in Europe, and some of the tours included I would also consider short and basic (a 1.5 to 2 hour walking tour with guide), but found all to be very informative about the area we were at.

I would really appreciate more details as looking at Afloat in France website I would certainly consider a cruise with them.

Cheers,

We traveled on the Aloutte through the canal du Midi from Beziers to Carcassonne. 7 day trip.

Afloat in France is owned by The Orient Express and we booked through A&K. The 5 barges they run are all Company owned.

I do not know about their other barges,but this one is in need of a over haul...which it will get at the end of the summer. According to the Company the barge will return as a charter only 4 passenger barge with 2 cabins for 4 guests. Now there are 3 very small cabins for 6 passengers.

Beyond the poor condition of the barge itself, we were also dissappointed with the crew which was basically just a bunch of young kids (19-22) working a summer job.On 2 evenings the entire crew left the guests alone on the barge and went out to local pubs.We did not feel very safe.

Yes, touring was very basic. This would have been fine if the trip was not advertised as more than that.

Please be aware that this trip sells for about double of its competitors and is sold as very high end.

We are now awaiting response from A&K and Afloat in regards to the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

A&K has informed us that the Barge owner dissputes our complaints regarding the trip. As such A&K will not seek any refund or credit for us. So, I guess this speaks to the quality of A&K as a Agent for its customers!

Archived