HOLIDAY INN-FRENCH QUARTER

pianolady1219

Have you had any experience with this hotel?
How far is it from the train station? From cruise terminals?
Thanks!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;2;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I've never stayed there, but it looks nice from the outside, and a very convenient location.

It's about 12 blocks from the train station and about the same distance from the cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Are there any particular places we should not miss?

Sandra

Enchantment of the Sea 2001
Ocean Princess 2002
Golden Princess 2004
NDL Dream 02/2005

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;2;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

One other thing....
We're traveling to NO via train from Kalamazoo, MI... Have you done that?
Any pointers?
Thanks..
Sandra

• 2 weeks later...
New Orleans is a wonderful place to visit. Interesting areas: cafe du monde (for fried donuts & coffee), walking the streets in the quarters, St. Louis Cathedral, Bourbon Street, antiques on Royal Street, french market (for foods and gifts). The only advice that I can give is: at night, walk in well lighted areas where there are other people and if that's not possible then take a cab back.

[quote name='pianolady1219']Are there any particular places we should not miss?[Quote]

[b][size=3][color=darkslateblue]Sandra, what are your interests? I'm originally from N.O. and am there on a regular basis. There's a lot to do in the city. MOST folks want to be in the French Quarter (not 'the quarters'). [/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]If you want to "do the Quarter", then by all means go to Jackson Square. It's in the center of the Quarter, and everything evolves around it. Cafe du Monde is world-famous for Beignets and Cafe au Lait. It's also full of locals. From there, go on down to the Old French Market, and the flea market. [/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#483d8b][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]SO many wonderful restaurants - one of my faves for lunch (or dinner) is Gumbo Shop, just to the left of St. Louis Cathedral, which you should also peek into. I have many, many favorite restaurants, so could suggest several. Bourbon St. is, uh, just Bourbon St., and is a 'must see' for any visitor, I think. At least once. Royal St. is full of great antique and art shops. Jax Brewery Bldg. is adjacent to Jackson Square, right by the river. [/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]There's a lot more to see, tho. The Garden District is lovely, lined w/antebellum homes, on the streetcar line ($1.50 to ride anywhere). [/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]If you should be interested in something like this: The Aquarium of the Americas has a great little tour, and it's reasonable. You see the aquarium (super!), and take a boat ride to Audubon Zoo. [/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]D-Day Museum is very interesting, if you're so inclined. There are also lots of tours, including swamp tours, walking tours of the Quarter, and also taking a carriage ride thru the Quarter is great - the drivers point out all the sights of interest, giving you a little history of N.O. lesson.[/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]Just so much to see and do. If you have any specific questions, please ask. I LOVE my city! (My daughter lives and works in the Quarter, so I'm there a lot.)[/color][/size][/b]

I have stayed at this hotel, great location and a world of difference one block to Bourbon. If you have no mobility limitations you can get all around the quarter. :) But you will need a cab from the train station and to the dock.

• 3 months later...
We will be staying at this hotel for a long weekend getaway in November. Every review I've found on several web sites give the hotel and area good marks. The pics on their web-site look good also. We really liked that they have a heated indoor pool. Great feature in November.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn French Quarter twice and I was satisfied with everything both times. As a matter of fact, the last time we were in NO, I wanted to stay there again, but we were with a group that choose the another Holiday Inn (can't remember the name now...thats how impressed I was with THAT one...LOL) Holiday Inn-French Quarter is in a great location and I would recommend it without a doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived